ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   This is going to be a shitty day (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105508)

ChiTown 12-01-2004 09:01 AM

This is going to be a shitty day

My wife and I took our pet (of 15 years) to the vet yesterday thinking she had eaten something that was making her sick. My dog (West Highland White Terrier) has been diagnosed with a fatal kidney ailment. We are absolutely demolished right now. Chloe was a part of our lives before we had kids. She was a our child for years (especially when we didn't think we were gonna to be able to have kids of our own). She slept on our bed at night, she watched over our kids when they were playing outside, she sat by us when we watched TV, or had dinner. She travelled with us everywhere we went by car on vacation (and a few times by plane). To say she was part of the family might be an understatement.

My kids are sad, but still don't understand that Chloe won't be coming home today. It's going to be very difficult to explain to them that they'll never get to play with her again. I always thought it would be easier to let go of Chloe after my kids came along. Not a chance. Later this morning, my wife and I are going to the vet hospital to say our goodbye's and have her put down. I'm just sick about all this. I had no idea it would be so hard to let go of a pet - but it sure as hell is.

Thanks for listening......

mlyonsd 12-01-2004 09:02 AM

I feel your pain. The vet is coming out to my place tomorrow morning to put down my 26 year old horse.

Sucks.

Skip Towne 12-01-2004 09:06 AM

So sorry to hear that. I know what it's like.

Pants 12-01-2004 09:09 AM

Man, I'm sorry to hear that as well. Just think of all the good memories and don't forget that Chloe had a good life with you guys and is probably thankful. She lived for 15 years filled with your love, that's a good life.

RedNFeisty 12-01-2004 09:10 AM

I'm sorry, whoever said losing a pet wasn't hard needs to be shot.

Eleazar 12-01-2004 09:12 AM

Sorry about that man. My parents just had to put down the dog that I grew up with. Sad deal.

Dartgod 12-01-2004 09:12 AM

Sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is very difficult. Luckily, there are a lot of great pet owners here to help you cope. My wife and I lost one recently and it helped to share her memory with the others here.

shakesthecat 12-01-2004 09:18 AM

Sorry to hear this Chi!

I know the feeling all too well.

FAX 12-01-2004 09:21 AM

I'm very sorry to hear this, Mr. ChiTown. I had to face the dilemma of putting my dog to sleep last summer or pay for a $1500 cancer operation that might give him another 2 years of good life. I chose the operation. Never thought I'd do that for an animal.

Best to you and your family.

FAX

BigRedChief 12-01-2004 09:22 AM

I had to put down a beloved pet that we got as a wedding present. 13 years. Man the wife and son were crying and holding it as it went to sleep for the last time. Then I had to go bury it in a driving monsoon. Very bad day. Been there. Done that. Just try to be supportive of the kids and the wife. Stiff upper lip and all that jazz. The lose doesn't go away but it does get better.

ChiTown 12-01-2004 09:29 AM

Thanks for the replies

I have a question for those of you who have had to put a pet down, or a pet that passed. Did you bury your pet? Have it cremated? Or, Did you have something else done?

It's something I've never thought about, but something I need to decide today. Your input is greatly appreciated.

C-Mac 12-01-2004 09:30 AM

I'm really sorry to hear for you and especially the little family that dont understand. You know I never used to understand why there were such a thing as a "pet cemetaries"...... until I lost the coolest feline friend of 19 years. I understand now. Its amazing how one can get so attached to an animal. I'm just glad I had the oppourtunity to have such special pet in mine and families life that they can reflect on.

Iowanian 12-01-2004 09:30 AM

Sorry about that chi.

I've buried the Dogs I've liked and have never paid a vet to put down a dog.

FAX 12-01-2004 09:33 AM

I've always buried mine. And I've had to put down and bury lots of dogs. Bird dogs in Kansas as young man, labs in later life.

Best,

FAX

CosmicPal 12-01-2004 09:35 AM

My heart goes out to you and your family....I've done it many times, and I now have a pup that I hope will last 15 years.