ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Herm Edwards (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132601)

Alphaman 01-01-2006 03:54 PM

Herm Edwards

Did anyone see Herm in the lockerroom on the CBS post game show?

1) He said something along the lines of "What's been good about coaching you guys this year is that you always fought hard". Sounded alot like a farewell speech.

2) He then switched into motivation mode where he said "What matters is that we are undefeated in 2006. That's all that matters."

3) Boomer, Marino and Sharpe all talked about how hard the players played for him. They said it was a sign of how good of a motivator he is and how is players respect him.

I think he'd be a fabulous selection as our next HC.

htismaqe 01-01-2006 03:58 PM

Sounds alot like Dick Vermeil.

We need discipline. I don't really want the players to be "friends" with the coach anymore...

Alphaman 01-01-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Sounds alot like Dick Vermeil.

We need discipline. I don't really want the players to be "friends" with the coach anymore...

How did you get lack of discipline out of that?

htismaqe 01-01-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphaman
How did you get lack of discipline out of that?

Herm Edwards has always been considered a "players" coach. Most people feel his strength is motivation and his weakness is loyalty to inept coordinators.

Sounds alot like Vermeil.

Hoover 01-01-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Did anyone see Herm in the lockerroom on the CBS post game show?

1) He said something along the lines of "What's been good about coaching you guys this year is that you always fought hard". Sounded alot like a farewell speech.

2) He then switched into motivation mode where he said "What matters is that we are undefeated in 2006. That's all that matters."

3) Boomer, Marino and Sharpe all talked about how hard the players played for him. They said it was a sign of how good of a motivator he is and how is players respect him.

I think he'd be a fabulous selection as our next HC.

It didn't sound like a farewell speach to me. Herm is OK, and a hell of a cheerleader, but I would rather go a different direction.

Alphaman 01-01-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Herm Edwards has always been considered a "players" coach. Most people feel his strength is motivation and his weakness is loyalty to inept coordinators.

Interesting.

1) I'll ask the same question: How do you get lack of discipline out of that?

2) Loyalty to inept coordinators? In another thread against Herm Edwards, someone used as an argument that Herm is NOT loyal to coordinators. They said he's had 3 OCs and 2 DCs in his 5 year tenure.

Interesting.

tomahawk kid 01-01-2006 04:04 PM

Comment #2 makes me think he's staying.

To me, it sounds more and more like Herm's staying put.......

Alphaman 01-01-2006 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover
It didn't sound like a farewell speach to me. Herm is OK, and a hell of a cheerleader, but I would rather go a different direction.

That's fair. People hear and see things differently. What direction would you prefer to go in and why?

Alphaman 01-01-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid
Comment #2 makes me think he's staying.

To me, it sounds more and more like Herm's staying put.......

I agree that statement sets him up to return. I think he will stay in NY if he gets the extension he's asked for. If not, he won't.

htismaqe 01-01-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Interesting.

1) I'll ask the same question: How do you get lack of discipline out of that?

2) Loyalty to inept coordinators? In another thread against Herm Edwards, someone used as an argument that Herm is NOT loyal to coordinators. They said he's had 3 OCs and 2 DCs in his 5 year tenure.

Interesting.

1) I got it from this:

Boomer, Marino and Sharpe all talked about how hard the players played for him. They said it was a sign of how good of a motivator he is and how is players respect him.

2) I mispoke. I didn't mean "loyalty". More that he has a group of guys that he's worked with in the past that he gives jobs to, even though they aren't very good.

Alphaman 01-01-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

1) I got it from this:

Boomer, Marino and Sharpe all talked about how hard the players played for him. They said it was a sign of how good of a motivator he is and how is players respect him.

2) I mispoke. I didn't mean "loyalty". More that he has a group of guys that he's worked with in the past that he gives jobs to, even though they aren't very good.

1) I don't see how you get lack of discipline from that, but you are entitled to your opinion. Trust me, I'm not engaging in this conversation to try to change your mind, just to understand your opinion.

2) That's fair. I don't like that he used Hackett and Jimmy Raye. I do like the attitude of Donnie Henderson (I'd like him to be our DB coach under Gun). However, I think he would promote someone from this staff to be OC and keep the same offensive scheme rather than going to the west coast offense he's tried to run in NY.

RedThat 01-01-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

They are somewhat similar in their approach. I just want to add that, I think Herm is more competitive, and confident as a coach. I think he is the kinda coach that would give us that edge mentally. Thats what this team needs, a little bit more of a killer instinct to put us over the top. He could bring that to the table. he is not as soft as Vermeil, which is a good thing. Plus, he is a defensive minded coach! If we do happen to get him, I hope he is intellegent enough to realize we've had the top offense in the league the last 4 years, and don't mess it up!

Mecca 01-01-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

1) I don't see how you get lack of discipline from that, but you are entitled to your opinion. Trust me, I'm not engaging in this conversation to try to change your mind, just to understand your opinion.

2) That's fair. I don't like that he used Hackett and Jimmy Raye. I do like the attitude of Donnie Henderson (I'd like him to be our DB coach under Gun). However, I think he would promote someone from this staff to be OC and keep the same offensive scheme rather than going to the west coast offense he's tried to run in NY.

I'm sorry man, Gun's gotta go.

htismaqe 01-01-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

1) My opinion was formed from far more than just that one quote. That quote just fits with what I've read before.

2) Herm had problems on defense too, and fought hard to keep Cottrell at one point.

Regardless, I think we could do alot worse than Edwards. I just have some concerns is all...

Alphaman 01-01-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

1) My opinion was formed from far more than just that one quote. That quote just fits with what I've read before.

2) Herm had problems on defense too, and fought hard to keep Cottrell at one point.

Regardless, I think we could do alot worse than Edwards. I just have some concerns is all...

1) Can you paraphrase some of the things you've heard to enlighten me?

2) Ted Cottrell is regarded as a very good DC. Fighting hard to keep him is not a negative as I see it.