ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Dosey'as agent and King Carl no longer talking to each other (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187746)

Chiefnj2 07-24-2008 12:13 PM

There were reports a week or so ago from ESPN and even insider WPI that the parties were talking. When Carl says an offer was made in June and now the agent isn't talking, his statement purposefully omits whatever transpired in the months between.

FAX 07-24-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcwild (Post 4865723)
The problem will be that #6, #7 and #8 are waiting on #5 to sign so they will have their slotting. The NFL needs to develop a rookie salary structure like the NBA so even idiots like Carl can take the BS out of rookie negotiations and let him f-up when it's time to re-negotiate and develop the bad blood then as opposed to the beginning of a pick's career.

I totally agree and have been expressing the identical sentiment for some time, Mr. kcwild. But, does the NFL listen to me? Noooo. Sometimes life is like a one-eyed dog with a baloney tail in a crowded beaver house.

FAX

FAX 07-24-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 4865729)
There were reports a week or so ago from ESPN and even insider WPI that the parties were talking. When Carl says an offer was made in June and now the agent isn't talking, his statement purposefully omits whatever transpired in the months between.

I got the feeling that Carl's tactic in this interview was to purposefully upset the agent, Mr. Chiefnj2. Kind of like what Ali used to do before a fight with Frazier. The idea is to piss off your opponent so much he can't think straight. Then, you can let him have it with the sneaky left or, in this case, move decimal points around at will and he won't notice.

FAX

Fish 07-24-2008 12:35 PM

**** you Jerry McGuire!

tomahawk kid 07-24-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 4865786)
**** you Jerry McGuire!

Somebody get me Bob Sugar on the phone.

Hydrae 07-24-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4865520)
Maybe they want more than their slot because they feel he should have been the #1 pick in the draft?

How would the signing of the lower picks factor into if that is the case?

Ralphy Boy 07-24-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 4865173)
Dorsey's agent, Segal, represented 3 first round picks last year -- Levi Brown (No. 5), LaRon Landry (No. 6) and Craig Davis (No. 30).

Does anyone know offhand if Brown and Landry were holdouts?

Landry signed on July 30, 2007
Levi Brown signed on August 3/4, 2007

Mecca 07-24-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 4865825)
How would the signing of the lower picks factor into if that is the case?

He wants to make sure they don't get more I'm guessing.....notice how if you go through you'll see a lower pick with a bigger contract in some cases.

noa 07-24-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4865855)
He wants to make sure they don't get more I'm guessing.....notice how if you go through you'll see a lower pick with a bigger contract in some cases.

Yeah, but what if they get less than the agent is expecting them to get? Can't that screw him? Then Carl could say that the Ryan and McFadden contracts were anomalies and the lower ones are more indicative of the real value.

kcchiefsus 07-24-2008 01:19 PM

Got no link but Vernon Gholston has agreed in principle on a contract with the Jets. I see absolutely no reason why we should have to wait until the 7th and 8th picks sign as well. Having the #4 and #6 picks signed should be more than enough.

Bill Lundberg 07-24-2008 01:20 PM

Gholston Signed:

• The Jets have agreed in principle with Vernon Gholston, their top draft pick. No surprise there, as the two sides worked through the night in an effort to hammer out the deal. The NFL must approve the deal, but that should happen by the end of the day. The next practice doesn’t start until 5:45, so there’s a chance Gholston (No. 6 overall pick) could be on the field.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

Mizzou_8541 07-24-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg (Post 4865935)
Gholston Signed:

• The Jets have agreed in principle with Vernon Gholston, their top draft pick. No surprise there, as the two sides worked through the night in an effort to hammer out the deal. The NFL must approve the deal, but that should happen by the end of the day. The next practice doesn’t start until 5:45, so there’s a chance Gholston (No. 6 overall pick) could be on the field.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

So with Gholston basically inked, someone explain again why Mr. Segal would need number 7 and 8 signed? I'm slow and that doesn't make any sense.

DeezNutz 07-24-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg (Post 4865935)
the two sides worked through the night in an effort to hammer out the deal.

Carl seems to have done a good job thus far, but I get the sense that the above approach doesn't accurately describe the one employed by KC's front office.

Sometimes it would be nice to see this type of statement attributed to Carl, rather than "he just got back from vacation and will get started on contracts soon"...Maybe I'm being too critical.

Bowser 07-24-2008 01:39 PM

Carl's just a "tough son-of-a-bitch" when it comes to negotiating. Just ask, he'll tell you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4865530)
Carl's job is not just 'get him in camp on time', it's 'get him in camp with a reasonable contract'.

And this is negotiating through the media. We've heard this shit a thousand times before (not just from carl) and more often than not, we hear it not all that long before a deal is done.

Reasonable contract for who is the question.

BigRock 07-24-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 4865944)
So with Gholston basically inked, someone explain again why Mr. Segal would need number 7 and 8 signed? I'm slow and that doesn't make any sense.

He wants to add the contracts of #6, #7, and #8 and ask for the total as Dorsey's signing bonus.