ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs Steelers 1993 Playoff Game (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=218474)

MahiMike 11-20-2009 07:18 AM

Chiefs Steelers 1993 Playoff Game

I can still remember Joe Montana completing TWO 4th and 10 passes on the game winning drive!

Was Cowher still coaching for the Chiefs or was he their head coach then?

1993: The Steelers get off to a good start again winning six of their first nine games. However, after the Steelers lost four of their next six games they needed to win and get help just to get the sixth and final seed in the playoffs. The Steelers did their part by beating the Cleveland Browns 16-9. They would get their help as the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets each lost allowing the Steelers to make the playoffs with a 9-7 record. In the 3-6 game the Steelers held a lead late in the 4th Quarter in Kansas City against the Chiefs. However, the Chiefs would rally to send the game to overtime where the Chiefs broke the Steelers heart with a 27-24 win.

pr_capone 11-20-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 6277614)

Cowher started as the HC of the Steelers in 92

Mojo Jojo 11-20-2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 6277614)
I can still remember Joe Montana completing TWO 4th and 10 passes on the game winning drive!

1993: The Steelers get off to a good start again winning six of their first nine games. However, after the Steelers lost four of their next six games they needed to win and get help just to get the sixth and final seed in the playoffs. The Steelers did their part by beating the Cleveland Browns 16-9. They would get their help as the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets each lost allowing the Steelers to make the playoffs with a 9-7 record. In the 3-6 game the Steelers held a lead late in the 4th Quarter in Kansas City against the Chiefs. However, the Chiefs would rally to send the game to overtime where the Chiefs broke the Steelers heart with a 27-24 win.

I remember the Chiefs D stopping the Steelers and Nick missing the game winning field goal. Good thing the Defense held again and Nick finally made a field goal that mattered. Overlooked in that game is that Dave Krieg came in for Joe and he threw a 23-yard TD pass to J.J. Birden to keep the Chiefs in the game.

MichaelH 11-20-2009 07:44 AM

Oh the good old days. It would be nice for the same results Sunday.

Javabean 11-20-2009 08:25 AM

I think that was the last game on the artificial turf, too. I remember a late punt block and return that setup the game tying TD but forget who blocked it. And of course Montana's big time 4th down TD pass is forever burned into my memory. That was a great game. Hard to believe that game and the next against Houston were the team's last playoff wins, it was so long ago.

Mojo Jojo 11-20-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javabean (Post 6277652)
I think that was the last game on the artificial turf, too. I remember a late punt block and return that setup the game tying TD but forget who blocked it. And of course Montana's big time 4th down TD pass is forever burned into my memory. That was a great game. Hard to believe that game and the next against Houston were the team's last playoff wins, it was so long ago.

Keith Cash with the block and Freddie Jones with the return.

ChiefEd 11-20-2009 08:36 AM

If I'm not mistaken, it was Keith Cash (TE) who blocked that punt. Anyone verify that?

Mojo Jojo 11-20-2009 08:50 AM

Yes it was Keith and Freddie returned it to the 9. Chiefs gained just 2-yards on the first three plays and Joe hit Tim Barnett on 4th and goal from the 7.

Demonpenz 11-20-2009 08:51 AM

i have the game on my HD, the game televised afterwards was a wild card matchup between The lyons and the packers and Dan Derdorff had this little throw to dick vermiel who was an analyst at the time. lets go to analyst Dick Vermiel... Dick Vermiel : The packers have a young QB in Brett Favre who is exciting but must limit turnovers today.

Hammock Parties 11-08-2012 07:11 PM

Look who commented on my youtube channel!

http://i.imgur.com/BxLIv.jpg

BossChief 11-08-2012 07:15 PM

Nice!!!

Titty Meat 11-08-2012 07:21 PM

Wow that's awesome

Deberg_1990 11-08-2012 07:23 PM

Nice. Wonder what he's up to these days?
Posted via Mobile Device

FlaChief58 11-08-2012 07:24 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_j9QeUoPOi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rabblerouser 11-08-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 6277682)
i have the game on my HD, the game televised afterwards was a wild card matchup between The lyons and the packers and Dan Derdorff had this little throw to dick vermiel who was an analyst at the time. lets go to analyst Dick Vermiel... Dick Vermiel : The packers have a young QB in Brett Favre who is exciting but must limit turnovers today.

I have the Steelers game and the Pack-Lions game on VHS - Favre hit Sterling Sharpe with a game-winning TD as time expired.

I used to use that tape to get me through offseasons as a teenager...

Now, if I were to watch it, I'd ****ing weep.