ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Dad Calls Cops on Son to Teach Him a Lesson, Cops Shoot Son Dead (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278417)

Groves 11-08-2013 12:15 AM

Dad Calls Cops on Son to Teach Him a Lesson, Cops Shoot Son Dead

http://gawker.com/dad-calls-cops-on-...oot-1460159897

A father's attempt to teach his son a lesson for taking his truck without permission ended in tragedy Monday after a local police officer shot the teenager dead.

James Comstock told the Des Moines Register he called the police on his son Tyler after the latter took the former's truck in retaliation for refusing to buy him cigarettes.

Ames Police Officer Adam McPherson reportedly spotted the lawn care company vehicle and pursued it onto the Iowa State University campus, where a brief standoff ensued after Tyler allegedly refused orders to turn off the engine.

McPherson eventually fired six shots into the truck, two of which struck Tyler who was later pronounced dead.

The official report claims the action was necessary in order "to stop the ongoing threat to the public and the officers."

Tyler's dad says he was unarmed at the time.

"So he didn't shut the damn truck off, so let's fire six rounds at him?" exclaimed Gary Shepley, Tyler's step-grandfather. "We're confused, and we don't understand."

James said his son had his fair share of minor troubles with the law, and was distraught over a recent breakup with his girlfriend, but was in the process of turning his life around, and was working on obtaining his GED at Des Moines Area Community College.

"He was a smart kid. He made his own computers. He was interested in IT," James told the Register.

The family's demands for answers got even louder following the revelation that a member of the Ames police department suggested twice that officers call off the chase.

"He took off with my truck. I call the police, and they kill him," James said. ""It was over a damn pack of cigarettes."

McPherson is currently on paid leave pending the results of his department's investigation.

TimBone 11-08-2013 12:18 AM

Damn.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-08-2013 12:19 AM

Percentage of Planet posters who would have killed all the cops, resurrected their son, and gotten the judge to drop all the charges: 114.

Prison Bitch 11-08-2013 12:30 AM

Obviously there is more to the standoff

lcarus 11-08-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10169211)
Obviously there is more to the standoff

Or the cops are just paid killers. You'd think if there was a better reason for killing the kid, the cops would have given it.

tk13 11-08-2013 12:36 AM

If you read the comments there are some people saying this wasn't as simple as it sounds.

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iow...z/-/index.html

There's video of the chase... so have at it. Tough call. He obviously was speeding through a college campus, and rammed the police cars a couple times. Lucky they didn't kill any pedestrians. I think some people will watch that and argue he shouldn't have been shot given what we see here... or that this chase should've been stopped. But ramming a police car with a cop standing outside it pointing a gun isn't a good idea either.

Phobia 11-08-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10169219)
If you read the comments there are some people saying this wasn't as simple as it sounds.

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iow...z/-/index.html

There's video of the chase... so have at it. Tough call. He obviously was speeding through a college campus, and rammed the police cars a couple times. Lucky they didn't kill any pedestrians. I think some people will watch that and argue he shouldn't have been shot given what we see here... or that this chase should've been stopped. But ramming a police car with a cop standing outside it pointing a gun isn't a good idea either.

Precisely. Any time a cop can justify that you're using your vehicle as a deadly weapon, you're committing suicide by cop. Might as well just pull a BB gun on them. But I still would have offed all those cops with a plastic fork from Chik-fil-A, knocked up their skinny wives, and benched 650 lbs with my weak hand.

lcarus 11-08-2013 01:01 AM

What the hell was that dude doing? Did he think he was gonna get away in that truck? What did he expect to happen. Whoever said it was right. The original article left out a few important details...

Rain Man 11-08-2013 01:03 AM

Lesson learned.

cdcox 11-08-2013 01:18 AM

My grandma called the cops on my dad when he swiped the milk bottles off the back porch and cashed them in for money so he could go to the movies somewhere around 1940.

I was this || close to never existing. Whew.

CrazyPhuD 11-08-2013 01:26 AM

To be fair someone DID learn a lesson from all this.

pr_capone 11-08-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10169231)
Precisely. Any time a cop can justify that you're using your vehicle as a deadly weapon, you're committing suicide by cop. Might as well just pull a BB gun on them. But I still would have offed all those cops with a plastic fork from Chik-fil-A, knocked up their skinny wives, and benched 650 lbs with my weak hand.

HA! You have a weak hand. I push 800 with either hand equally.

TinyEvel 11-08-2013 01:33 AM

This is just one of those stories that's bad for everyone involved.

kid is lucky he didn't get T-boned that first intersection he blew through. Two close calls, there could have been kids and moms, etc. in those cars going by, he could have ended lives.

Not good for anyone.

RustShack 11-08-2013 01:44 AM

A bunch of Iowa state players and friends were tweetin about shots fired on campus, and GTA VI: Iowa State University.

Dayze 11-08-2013 01:49 AM

steep price to pay for some Virginia Slims.