ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs 2012 Dexter McCluster touches thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262599)

Reerun_KC 08-28-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8859664)
Was he a "playmaker" against Seattle?

no they were all routine catches, nothing to discuss or see here.

Rasputin 08-28-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8859393)
And I never said that he can't be productive.

My arguments have always been against the people that have labeled him a playmaker.

Well I'm going keep calling him a "playmaker" as long as he is getting us first downs and touchdowns by making plays.

I expect our other WRs to have more production than Dex but that doesn't disqualify Dex from being a playmaker and an asset to this team. I also saw him doing some blocks and making extra effort in that aspect down field. FWIW that's something to be recognized.

CoMoChief 08-28-2012 01:40 PM

DMC will get around 6-7 catches a game simply because Cassel will check down often.

Reerun_KC 08-28-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 8859702)
DMC will get around 6-7 catches a game simply because Cassel will check down often.

So?

Micjones 08-28-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8859708)
So?

That's supposed to be McCluster's fault. Shhh...

Reerun_KC 08-28-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8859714)
That's supposed to be McCluster's fault. Shhh...

:cuss: Sorry

jspchief 08-28-2012 01:54 PM

I've come around a little bit on McLackluster. His hands really impress me, he seems to catch everything. I also think he's a tough sonuvabitch.

The biggest problem so far has been how he's been used. Obviously they never intended him to carry the RB load that he was forced into last year. But more importantly it showed that he isn't particularly good at making people miss. I think the FO thought they were getting a Josh Cribbs, Devon Hester type of guy. A guy that you just had to find ways to get the ball in his hands. It's clear he doesn't fit that role.

So here we are left with the one thing he does well. Receiving. How long before defenses start thinking of him as a receiver? Probably not long. How long before defenses realize that Cassel only throws short? That book is written. How long before Dex gets blown up on a poorly thrown crossing pattern? Hope he likes smores, because LBs and safeties are gonna be camping in his receiving window. Besides that, his size makes him a smaller target for the QB, and Cassel needs the biggest targets he can get.

I think Dex very well could be a big part of the offense in the early part of the season. I don't expect it to last.

CoMoChief 08-28-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8859708)
So?

Just saying what will probably happen....not saying it's a good or bad thing.

If anything it's Cassel's fault for not throwing downfield more often, esp when he has 2 HUGE WR's.

Micjones 08-28-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8859746)
I've come around a little bit on McLackluster. His hands really impress me, he seems to catch everything. I also think he's a tough sonuvabitch.

The biggest problem so far has been how he's been used. Obviously they never intended him to carry the RB load that he was forced into last year. But more importantly it showed that he isn't particularly good at making people miss. I think the FO thought they were getting a Josh Cribbs, Devon Hester type of guy. A guy that you just had to find ways to get the ball in his hands. It's clear he doesn't fit that role.

So here we are left with the one thing he does well. Receiving. How long before defenses start thinking of him as a receiver? Probably not long. How long before defenses realize that Cassel only throws short? That book is written. How long before Dex gets blown up on a poorly thrown crossing pattern? Hope he likes smores, because LBs and safeties are gonna be camping in his receiving window. Besides that, his size makes him a smaller target for the QB, and Cassel needs the biggest targets he can get.

I think Dex very well could be a big part of the offense in the early part of the season. I don't expect it to last.

Which just means defenses will have to play honest.
That'll create an opportunity for someone else.

Chiefnj2 08-28-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 8859761)
If anything it's Cassel's fault for not throwing downfield more often, esp when he has 2 HUGE WR's.

1. He can't.
2. Bowe just returned.
3. Baldwin hasn't proven the ability to get open or catch the ball consistently.

beach tribe 08-28-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8859685)
At this point that's getting tougher and tougher for his detractors to deny.

I had to just shake my head at all the people who actually thought the guy was going to get cut..seriously.

jspchief 08-28-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8859839)
Which just means defenses will have to play honest.
That'll create an opportunity for someone else.

I agree. It should help open up our outside receivers.

Micjones 08-28-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 8859857)
I had to just shake my head at all the people who actually thought the guy was going to get cut..seriously.

I said this all off-season.
People were CONVINCED Devon Wylie was not only going to take his job, but push him off the team. He has 1 catch in three games. I'm not sure he's asserted himself as anything more than a punt return guy. And I have nothing against the kid. I hope he makes the team and helps improve our return game.

beach tribe 08-28-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8859868)
I agree. It should help open up our outside receivers.

yup

themanwithnoname 08-28-2012 02:44 PM

I like McCluster but he was a poor pick where he was drafted. He's another one of those barometer players where if he's a major part of your offense then your offense probably isn't great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 8859857)

Yeah I couldn't believe people actually thought that. Even if Wylie and Gray panned out right away, McCluster wasn't going to be cut.

I think I might very much wish he had been after this season as he's making Cassel look improved which I don't think he really has in any meaningful way.