ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life St Louis Was Cool (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273961)

Dayze 06-19-2013 08:32 PM

St Louis Was Cool

Wife and I took a trip to STL on Saturday and returned today. Man, I really like that place. Our hotel was a block from Bush Stadium, and the metro link. We took the train fromKC in business class....holy shit if I can ever travel somewhere by train within reason I'm doing it, thousand times Better than flying.

Only rented a car one day to go to Six Flags. It was ok I suppose.i still want to get to Cedar Point.

Went to a game last night, and man...I thought the stadium kicked ass. Though, probably due to the market, everything was obscenely expensive. Though, I suppose if you're a winning team who draws 45k on a Tuesday night I guess you can charge whatever. 12oz draw of beer was $9.**** that. Didn't buy any. Hot dog and chips was 12 I believe.

But the stadium was great. I really wonder if KC made the right call to not build a park downtown.

We'll be going back maybe on a weekend to see a game on a Saturday and come back Sunday. Great time. Fun city. Didn't need a car whatsoever. Simple transit. Easy to understand. Everything we needed within walking distance.

Go Royals. Lol

O.city 06-19-2013 08:35 PM

Downtown baseball is the way to go. Especially in baseball heaven. If you like baseball memorabilia, go to Mike Shannon's right by Busch. It's expensive but it's got a lot of awesome baseball stuff and the food is good. Took dad there for Father's Day a few years back, got meet Shannon then bob Gibson .

Dayze 06-19-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9763797)
Downtown baseball is the way to go. Especially in baseball heaven. If you like baseball memorabilia, go to Mike Shannon's right by Busch. It's expensive but it's got a lot of awesome baseball stuff and the food is good. Took dad there for Father's Day a few years back, got meet Shannon then bob Gibson .

Yep. Saw that place. I'm not even a huge baseball fan . Though if going to a Royals game was this easy, I'd probably more interested.

Was cool to see some good baseball against the Cubs. Came down to basically the last out after a late inning and a half near comeback.

We left the game afterwards,and were back in our hotel room in about 12 minutes. Awesome

Rain Man 06-19-2013 08:40 PM

I despised St. Louis when I lived there, but I went back for a visit a year or so ago and it was pretty nice down in the Central West End.

And I agree completely on the train. Train travel is quite pleasant compared to any other option.

Rain Man 06-19-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9763797)

Did Gibson brush you back? He likes to control his space.

Marcellus 06-19-2013 08:41 PM

I'm a Cards fan but honestly enjoy Kaufman as much as Busch and I really like Busch. Granted I only go when the Cards are playing the Royals so its always packed.

Dayze 06-19-2013 08:44 PM

Yeah Kauffman definitely has its strengths. Sight lines one of them.
I would love them to just transplant it downtown.

O.city 06-19-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9763814)
Did Gibson brush you back? He likes to control his space.

Actually no, we were with dads boss who knows Shannon so he wa cool to us. Pretty awesome Father's Day for the old dad in that gibby was/is his favorite cardinal

O.city 06-19-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9763815)
I'm a Cards fan but honestly enjoy Kaufman as much as Busch and I really like Busch. Granted I only go when the Cards are playing the Royals so its always packed.

Living in KC and going to games when it's not the cards, it's ok but nothing like Busch, IMO.

I'm obviously biased but te downtown setting in stl with the arch etc is awesome. I've got some awesome pics from last years NLCS

Dayze 06-19-2013 08:47 PM

I took a bunch of pics but haven't downloaded them yet. Hopefully tomorrow night

O.city 06-19-2013 09:05 PM

I'm sure some stl guys can tell you better, but hit up The Hill if you have a chance. Great Italian

Dayze 06-19-2013 09:08 PM

Yeah. We heard about that. We didn't make it there or that Lacledes area. I heard the Italian on the hill is great as well

Deberg_1990 06-19-2013 09:11 PM

I really liked the new Busch when I was there a few years ago. Worlds better than that boring old circular dump they used to have.

BigRedChief 06-19-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9763793)
Went to a game last night, and man...I thought the stadium kicked ass. Though, probably due to the market, everything was obscenely expensive. Though, I suppose if you're a winning team who draws 45k on a Tuesday night I guess you can charge whatever. 12oz draw of beer was $9.**** that. Didn't buy any. Hot dog and chips was 12 I believe.

Cardinal fans just whine but dont complain too much. They know we don't have a billion $ TV contract so those 3 million fans keep coming through the gates year after year and spending money is how we maintain a top 10 payroll.

NewChief 06-19-2013 09:18 PM

Despite what many on here will tell you, St. Louis is a great town to visit.

ChiefsCountry 06-19-2013 09:24 PM

St. Louis grows on you. I still can't handle alot of the people, but it has some cool parts. If I can park my car and feel safe, then I enjoy St. Louis alot.

Jewish Rabbi 06-19-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9763901)
Despite what many on here will tell you, St. Louis is a great town to visit.

Visit is the keyword. Downtown is falling apart, almost all the streets need redone, which would just be a logistical nightmare.

NewChief 06-19-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9763908)
Visit is the keyword. Downtown is falling apart, almost all the streets need redone, which would just be a logistical nightmare.

I wouldn't want to live there, but I wouldn't want to live in any big city, KC included. We have friends who still live in StL though, and they like it and are part of a great food/music scene there.

nychief 06-19-2013 09:55 PM

Gee... I wish to travel some day.

gblowfish 06-20-2013 09:06 AM

Kauffman Stadium is just fine where it is.
It's fun to visit other cities to watch baseball. I haven't been to new Busch, but went to old Busch many times. I've been to Wrigley and The Cell in Chicago, Metrodome in Minnesota (it seriously blows for baseball) haven't been to Target Field yet. Been to Camden Yards, Old Yankee Stadium, Old Candlestick Park. I'd like to go to Fenway.

BlackHelicopters 06-20-2013 09:07 AM

Visited twice. Plenty for me.

Frazod 06-20-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9763891)
I really liked the new Busch when I was there a few years ago. Worlds better than that boring old circular dump they used to have.

Amen. God I hated that piece of crap. Worst ballpark ever. And I hated having to downplay how much it sucked because my team played there - like defending some asshole relative just because he's family. It was an absolutely miserable place to watch a game on a hot humid day because there was no way for a breeze to get in, and as we know, most summer days in St. Louis are hot and humid. I can only imagine how much the players must have hated it. Night and day difference between the new and the old.

Dayze 06-20-2013 09:14 AM

I took a ton of pictures of our trip; I'm hopeful to get them downloaded tonight to see what/if any from the game came out well.

damnit I need a zoom lens bad. That's next up on my purchases.

NewChief 06-20-2013 09:32 AM

My niece was at that game (I think it was same one at least). They made their baby announcement there:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...73956303_n.jpg

King_Chief_Fan 06-20-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9763907)
St. Louis grows on you. I still can't handle alot of the people, but it has some cool parts. If I can park my car and feel safe, then I enjoy St. Louis alot.

I prefer KC

I lived there in the 80's........STL is good, but I still prefer KC

BlackHelicopters 06-20-2013 09:57 AM

Lived in KC for four years. Would love to move back.

Prison Bitch 06-20-2013 11:19 AM

I'm here on business this week. Been here dozens of times over the years. It's fine. All I've noticed this week is that the Cubs are in town and the traffic is as bad as it always is. No city has more highways "under repair" than this one. Every year I've been here. Under construction, traffic jams for miles.

ChiefsCountry 06-20-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9764485)
I prefer KC

I lived there in the 80's........STL is good, but I still prefer KC

I prefer KC as well but STL is still okay.
Posted via Mobile Device

King_Chief_Fan 06-20-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9764658)
I'm here on business this week. Been here dozens of times over the years. It's fine. All I've noticed this week is that the Cubs are in town and the traffic is as bad as it always is. No city has more highways "under repair" than this one. Every year I've been here. Under construction, traffic jams for miles.

for sure....I live 20 minutes from work....in the morning to work it takes me 20 minutes...going home it takes 45 -90 minutes.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-20-2013 03:40 PM

St. Louis has an inferiority complex about Chicago/Kansas City residents who lack an awareness of irony.

Rams Fan 06-20-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9763907)

There's just one bad part in the city that I wouldn't go to, which is the immediate area surrounding the CWE.

The city itself is alright, but most of the awesome shit is in the 'burbs.

Donger 06-20-2013 04:05 PM

I was stunned when I flew into STL recently and they still had dozens of windows that were broken by that tornado a while back still covered with plywood. Not really a good impression on people visiting the city.

NewChief 06-20-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9765338)
There's just one bad part in the city that I wouldn't go to, which is the immediate area surrounding the CWE.

Heh. Yeah. I posted about the guy getting randomly punched by some young punks in the outdoor seating at Brasserie there last time I was in the city. Freaked us out. We were all just sitting outside eating, and some kid comes sprinting through the outdoor seating area, clocked a diner, then kept running.

I still like the city, though.

OnTheWarpath15 06-20-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9765342)
I was stunned when I flew into STL recently and they still had dozens of windows that were broken by that tornado a while back still covered with plywood. Not really a good impression on people visiting the city.

Tornado aside, people that simply arrive at the airport, drive downtown via I70 and back to the airport only see the absolute worst the area has to offer.

With few exceptions, the area inside the red line (northeast) is an absolute shithole, and unfortunately, the only area a lot of people see - because you have to drive through it to get from the airport to downtown.

KC would be in the same boat if you had to drive 10+ miles through Troost or The Paseo to get to downtown.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2lk4ivm.png

SAUTO 06-20-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9765374)
Tornado aside, people that simply arrive at the airport, drive downtown via I70 and back to the airport only see the absolute worst the area has to offer.

With few exceptions, the area inside the red line (northeast) is an absolute shithole, and unfortunately, the only area a lot of people see - because you have to drive through it to get from the airport to downtown.

KC would be in the same boat if you had to drive 10+ miles through Troost or The Paseo to get to downtown.

Troost and the Paseo are some of the best kc has to offer
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise 06-20-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9765374)

We have a new vendor that's based out of St. Louis. I'm trying to talk them and my boss into paying for us to fly out there and see their processes.

KCUnited 06-20-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9765416)
Troost and the Paseo are some of the best kc has to offer
Posted via Mobile Device

There are some fantastic homes on The Paseo. It's the best way to roll into downtown, imo.

oldman 06-20-2013 05:33 PM

I've spent many, many weeks in STL and frankly, the place sucks. It's the only place I've ever been when you sweat in the shade in March. And it stinks. Sure they have a lot of stuff, but who paid for it? If you're a Mo. person, you did. And those same folks fought tooth and nail to deny KC stadium upgrades even though we here locally were paying for it. I never lost anything there and if I did, I wouldn't go back for it.

OnTheWarpath15 06-20-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9765441)
There are some fantastic homes on The Paseo. It's the best way to roll into downtown, imo.

I'm either being trolled, or things have changed dramatically in the last decade.

KCUnited 06-20-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9765457)
I'm either being trolled, or things have changed dramatically in the last decade.

Scary as ****.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://www.google.com/maps?q=&amp;layer=c&amp;sll=39.083298,-94.568010&amp;cbp=13,174.83,,0,1.6&amp;cbll=39.08335,-94.568059&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.08335,-94.568059&amp;spn=0.00503,0.009645&amp;t=h&amp;z=17&amp;panoid=KmrToEwzSeU2cmDQoZ2e_g&amp;source=emb ed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://www.google.com/maps?q=&amp;layer=c&amp;sll=39.083298,-94.568010&amp;cbp=13,174.83,,0,1.6&amp;cbll=39.08335,-94.568059&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.08335,-94.568059&amp;spn=0.00503,0.009645&amp;t=h&amp;z=17&amp;panoid=KmrToEwzSeU2cmDQoZ2e_g&amp;source=emb ed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

BigRedChief 06-20-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9764711)
I prefer KC as well but STL is still okay.
Posted via Mobile Device

The "K" is a great place to watch a baseball game.

Frazod 06-20-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9765514)
The "K" is a great place to watch a baseball game.

It's been so long since I've been there I can barely remember. Tried to go to a game there about ten years ago, but it got rained out.

SAUTO 06-20-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9765457)

There are still some real shitty blocks. Sure.

But there is a lot of new development. I roll through about every time I'm around just to see how its changed since I was a kid.

Then you can go roll the q and see its just as shitty all the way
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat 06-20-2013 06:25 PM

I always wondered what the part of st louis was called coming from kc on 70 on the right hand side as you enter the city. It looks like a ****ing dump.

Rams Fan 06-20-2013 06:28 PM

http://voices.kansascity.com/entries...keeps-falling/
Quote:

Kansas Citians often lament the high crime rate, disappointing school systems and other problems facing the city.

But it could be worse.

We could live in St. Louis.

On Tuesday, St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay deservedly won the city’s Democratic primary and is virtually certain to win a record fourth term in April.

Slay’s reward: He will continue presiding over one of America’s fastest fading cities, a community wracked by a steady, alarming loss of residents.

Sure, St. Louis still has the iconic Gateway Arch, some strong neighborhoods, a new baseball park, light rail, and many other positive points.

But check out these facts.

In 1950, St. Louis was the eighth largest U.S. city, with 857,000 people. But by 2010, St. Louis had lost a stunning 538,000 people and plummeted to the 58th largest city, with only 319,000 residents.

In 1980, St. Louis was still Missouri’s largest city, barely ahead of Kansas City. But by 2010, Kansas City’s population of 460,000 was 44 percent larger than St. Louis’.

The city of St. Louis has slumped today to the point where it makes up only 11 percent of its metropolitan area’s population of 2.8 million. That’s one of the lowest percentages for any large U.S. city in its region, further evidence that the influence of St. Louis continues to slide.

Finally, the ills of St. Louis helped slash population growth in its metropolitan area to only 4 percent between 2000 and 2010. Only a few other deeply troubled regions — such as Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh — were worse off in that period.

Slay and other city boosters are well aware of all these negative trends. They valiantly will continue working to find ways to attract people, companies and capital to St. Louis, hoping to finally halt the population drain.

Feel better, Kansas Citians?

Mayor Sly James made this comment in his 2013 budget message last month: “…We are setting the pace with innovative and dynamic solutions to challenges cities across the nation share.… Friends, we are on the move, and our peers are noticing. We are pulling our chair up to the table with the nation’s great cities.”

Get past the expected hyperbole from an elected official, and Kansas City boosters do, indeed, have more things to feel encouraged about than they did a few years ago.

The city’s emphasis on growing its entrepreneurial ranks could pay off big time with new jobs for young people.

The increased funding of the arts — coupled with fantastic new venues — are boosting our attraction as a Midwestern cultural hub.

Plus, City Hall is better off, partly thanks to money from a voter-approved tax increase to finance more road repairs and park maintenance.

Kansas City is superior to St. Louis in a number of important markers — even after taking into account the fact that Kansas City has far more square miles.

Between 1990 and 2010, Kansas City added almost 25,000 residents, while St. Louis shed 77,000. Projections by the Mid-America Regional Council indicate Kansas City’s positive trend will continue north of the Missouri River.

While Kansas City has lost at least 120,000 people from its urban core since 1950, that’s far better than St. Louis’ loss of 538,000.

The city of Kansas City makes up 23 percent of this metropolitan area’s population of 2 million people. That rate is middle of the pack — still lots of room for improvement — when compared with peers around the country.

Kansas City is in a healthier metropolitan area. The region’s population grew at a respectable 11 percent rate between 2000 and 2010, again in the middle range for larger metro areas. This region added 199,000 residents in that time; the St. Louis area gained only 114,000.

As aging Midwestern big cities, Kansas City and St. Louis face many of the same vexing troubles.

But right now, for a variety of reasons, Kansas City’s future looks a lot brighter than St. Louis’ does.
:facepalm:

It isn't about who is better or worse. And this looks even more ridiculous considering the county and the city just came to an agreement with a merger in economic aspects.

Titty Meat 06-20-2013 06:33 PM

Kansas City is a shithole. Drive through midtown everyday you'll realize this.

ChiefsCountry 06-20-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Dude I dont feel safe with my car in alot of places. My buddy lives in Soulard, hate parking at his place, another lives by Forest Park, hate parking downtown unless I'm at Union Station or certain hotel parking garages. I have had my vehicles screwed with or broken into too many times in STL.

Third Eye 06-20-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

What awesome shit is in the burbs??? Kirkwood and Webster are the only burbs even worth mentioning. Anything outside of 270 sucks, and I live in Ballwin. The ONLY things in St. Louis that I would consider awesome are all in the city.

Rams Fan 06-20-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 9765800)
What awesome shit is in the burbs??? Kirkwood and Webster are the only burbs even worth mentioning. Anything outside of 270 sucks, and I live in Ballwin. The ONLY things in St. Louis that I would consider awesome are all in the city.

No love for Clayton?

Third Eye 06-20-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9765825)
No love for Clayton?

Clayton is ok, but frankly I don't spend a lot of time there. It always seems like it's just the offspring of all the old money in the city. The same old money families that have done their best to impede any real development.

Personally, I would much rather spend my time on South Grand, Soulard, the CWE, or even the Loop.

NewChief 12-18-2013 09:34 AM

We are taking the kids up to St. Louis for New Year's Eve and to see friends. We're going to go out to eat one night without the kids. Unfortunately, it's on a Monday, so our options are limited (lots of restaurants closed on Monday).

Two we're looking at:
Niche
Blood and Sand

Thoughts from St. Louis folks?

allen_kcCard 12-18-2013 09:51 AM

Not sure on the eateries for your date night. But, related to the kids, the St. Louis City Museam was freaking awesome and I'd highly recommend it.

NewChief 12-18-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 10289937)
Not sure on the eateries for your date night. But, related to the kids, the St. Louis City Museam was freaking awesome and I'd highly recommend it.

Yeah, that's pretty much our top destination. My wife is from St. Louis originally, so we kind of know the things to do there. Our friends are huge foodies as well, so their recommendations will be solid. I was mainly curious if anyone had experience with those two restaurants.

We've been to the chef at Niche's other establishment and liked it very well, so I think we're leaning toward Niche.

NewChief 01-04-2014 03:03 PM

So we went to St. Louis from the 30th through the 2nd. I am completely impressed with the St. Louis food culture. They have some pretty amazing things happening, and I could see it becoming a foodie destination in the near future. Their craft brewing scene has also really started to pick up as has the craft cocktail/mixology scene.

A large part of that is due to the excellence of Feast magazine. For anyone interested in food culture, restaurants, being obsessive about craft and such, I found this article fascinating:

http://www.feaststl.com/dine-out/fea...9bb30f31a.html

It's too long to paste.

Anyway, we ate at Niche for their Monday night 3 course sit down without our kids. Then we hit Strange Donuts and Bailey's Range with the kids.

City Museum was absolutely fantastic. We went to the Magic House as well, but I think I'd skip it next time and extend our stay at the City Museum. Now that our friends there have a house big enough for us to stay in, we'll be making frequent trips back, I think.