ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Best Cash Rewards Card? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271710)

crispystl 04-02-2013 08:54 PM

Best Cash Rewards Card?

I searched the forum and I did find an OLD thread about this, but it was archived, and I've scoured the internet and will keep looking. But I figure someone like Rainman can point me in the direction to a good one. I'm looking for the best cash rewards card so I can use it to pay mortgage etc etc... and clear the balance at the end of the month. I have good credit. I guess I'm open to gas or groceries too but I'd prefer cash.

Thanks in advance!

Nightfyre 04-02-2013 08:56 PM

I use my Chase Freedom card. It's pretty legit. No annual fee.

DaFace 04-02-2013 09:01 PM

My current arsenal includes:

Primary: Discover Escape card ($60 annual fee, but essentially a 2% on everything card if you use the rewards for travel refunds or Amazon. Also has nice point bonuses for the first couple years.)
Secondary: American Express Costco card (3% at gas stations and restaurants, and 1% at Costco, where they don't take anything but AmEx.
Backup: Amazon Visa card (3% on Amazon purchases and works places that don't take the other two)

Of course, that works best for a Costco member who shops a lot on Amazon.

Kidd Lex 04-02-2013 09:03 PM

I use chase sapphire, it's points can be transferred to anything one for one, and the cards heavy, not important, and yet...it is.:hmmm:

Jewish Rabbi 04-02-2013 09:08 PM

Posted this in the other thread, but here is my lineup:

PenFed Cash rewards for unlimited 5% on gas.
US Bank Cash+ gives me unlimited 5% on bill pay (which they're doing away with and going to just phone bills) and restaurants.
Amex Blue Cash Preferred 6% (up to $6000 annually) on groceries.
Chase Freedom and Discover More have rotating quarterly 5% categories (capped at $1500).
Priceline Rewards Visa for unlimited 2% on everything else.

None of these have fees except the Amex BCP ($75/year), it also comes in a no fee version with 3% cash back, so it depends on how many groceries you buy.

I will also "churn" a couple cards a year to get good signup bonuses. There are probably some better rewards out there if you value frequent flyer miles, but I prefer cash back and have found these cards to be among the best out there.

Jewish Rabbi 04-02-2013 09:10 PM

I also don't really know how you're going to pay your mortgage with your credit card without a lot of workarounds... Most banks won't allow that. Let me know if yours does so I can look there when it comes time to buy a house, heh.

crispystl 04-02-2013 09:12 PM

US Bank Cash+ gives me unlimited 5% on bill pay (which they're doing away with and going to just phone bills) and restaurants.

Can I still get in? That's what I'M talking bout!

Jewish Rabbi 04-02-2013 09:12 PM

I also really don't like paying annual fees for my cards, so there is opportunity there if you're willing to bite that bullet.

crispystl 04-02-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9551728)
I also don't really know how you're going to pay your mortgage with your credit card without a lot of workarounds... Most banks won't allow that. Let me know if yours does so I can look there when it comes time to buy a house, heh.

I called my bank and they said i can do it as long as it's a card from a different lender than my mortgage lender.

Jewish Rabbi 04-02-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 9551736)

It used to be for ALL bill pay. That ended this quarter and was replaced with just cell phones. They still have quite a broad range of categories that give you 5% CB.

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/...signature.html

Jewish Rabbi 04-02-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 9551744)
I called my bank and they said i can do it as long as it's a card from a different lender than my mortgage lender.

Damn! Nice brotha. No reason not to sign up for that Priceline card and start collecting 2% CB on that.

The Franchise 04-02-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 9551744)

Seriously? What bank?

crispystl 04-02-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 9551736)

Damn, no longer available.

crispystl 04-02-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9551753)
Seriously? What bank?

Bank of America

crispystl 04-02-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9551750)
Damn! Nice brotha. No reason not to sign up for that Priceline card and start collecting 2% CB on that.

Dude, ALL I do after work is surf the net and call around to save money. I'm trying to start a business and I need FREE capital.