ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ebola (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113774)

milkman 04-07-2005 06:52 PM

Ebola

You just don't listen.

I said to do the research on deals between the Chiefs and Raiders, but you just didn't listen.

You neg repped me because you insist that the Chiefs traded for Chester McGlockton, a claim that I have already proven wrong on this board before.

So here it is again.

http://slam.canoe.ca/FootballNFL97Re...AFCREPT-R.html

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
------------------

The Chiefs are padding their defensive line with Pro Bowlers.
The Chiefs Friday signed unrestricted free agent DE Leslie
O'Neal, the eighth all-time leading sacker in NFL history, to a
three-year contract and announced that they tendered an offer
sheet to Oakland Raiders "franchise" player Chester McGlockton

before Thursday's midnight deadline. The 33-year-old O'Neal, a
six-time Pro Bowl selection, has compiled 122 1/2 sacks in 164
career NFL games. He recorded 10 sacks or more in a season eight
times. The Raiders have until midnight tonight to match the
Chiefs' offer to McGlockton. If the offer is not matched,
Oakland receives a compensatory pick believed to be between the
first and second round (31st overall) plus a second-round pick
from Kansas City, in this weekend's draft.

OAKLAND RAIDERS
---------------

The Raiders are not expected to match the offer sheet tendered
to free agent DT Chester McGlockton by Kansas City. If the offer
is not matched, Oakland receives a compensatory pick believed to
be between the first and second round (31st overall) plus a
second-round pick from Kansas City, in this weekend's draft.
With virtually no room under their salary cap, the Raiders
elected not to guarantee a one-year tender offer to McGlockton,
giving the four-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle an opportunity to
field offers from other teams. ... The Raiders will likely use
the fourth overall pick in Saturday's draft on Michigan CB
Charles Woodson, the first defensive player to win the Heisman
Trophy. The last time the Raiders drafted a Heisman Trophy
winner was back in 1988 when they selected Notre Dame WR Tim
Brown with the sixth overall pick.
OK, here's more.

Bwana 04-07-2005 07:34 PM

Ok then.

chiefs4me 04-07-2005 08:19 PM

:deevee:

milkman 04-07-2005 08:21 PM

I don't care about the rep, but damn it, I want Ebola to acknowledge that he made a mistake.

Spott 04-07-2005 08:29 PM

Lol. According to that article, we are still waiting to see if Elway is going to retire this year.

milkman 04-07-2005 08:34 PM

This article is, of course, from 1998.

milkman 04-07-2005 09:18 PM

Well, I'm done for the night here.
I just want to bring this back up to the top so that Ebola will see this hopefully.

Eleazar 04-07-2005 09:37 PM

I think we did have to send them a pick for the franchise but it was indeed not a trade.

Rocky 04-07-2005 11:02 PM

Take him we need a line backer anywayz hes old take him.

milkman 04-08-2005 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
I think we did have to send them a pick for the franchise but it was indeed not a trade.

Read the material.
It clearly states that Chet was a FA, and the pick the Raiders received from the Chiefs was compensation required by the league because he was their franchise player.

The Raiders didn't trade Chet to the Chiefs.
They simply did not match the Chiefs offer.

OH, and where the **** are you Ebola?

Abba-Dabba 04-08-2005 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
Read the material.
It clearly states that Chet was a FA, and the pick the Raiders received from the Chiefs was compensation required by the league because he was their franchise player.

The Raiders didn't trade Chet to the Chiefs.
They simply did not match the Chiefs offer.

OH, and where the **** are you Ebola?

He was a EFA. And he had to get permission from the Raiders to talk to other teams. He was simply not a unrestricted free agent, free to go wherever he wanted.

Any team entering negotiations with him at that point realizes that if he does sign they have to trade the pick to the team who has the rights to the player.

Sorry SideWinder, you are wrong on this.

milkman 04-08-2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saggysack
He was a EFA. And he had to get permission from the Raiders to talk to other teams. He was simply not a unrestricted free agent, free to go wherever he wanted.

Any team entering negotiations with him at that point realizes that if he does sign they have to trade the pick to the team who has the rights to the player.

Sorry SideWinder, you are wrong on this.

What the hell are you talking about?
What the hell is a EFA?

He was the Raiders Franchise free agent.
The Chiefs didn't have to ask permission to talk to him.

Abba-Dabba 04-08-2005 06:43 PM

SideWinder, I understand why you think it wasn't a trade. No, it was not a trade in the conventional sense. But, it still was a trade. If it wasn't, KC wouldn't of had to give Oakland a 2nd round pick for the rights to him.

KC knew entering negotiations that if Oakland didn't match they would have to trade their 2nd rounder for the rights to him.

milkman 04-08-2005 06:49 PM

God, you people can be a pain sometimes.

Here's more about Chet's FA status at the time.

http://www.phins.com/news98/News_9804151336.html

Apr 15, 1998: -- Chester McGlockton may get an Offer --

Related Links
The Miami Herald and the Sun-Sentinel are both reporting this morning that the Dolphins are interested in signing Oakland defensive tackle Chester McGlockton now that Oakland has refused to guarantee his franchise tag. The Herald is further reporting that Dolphins' Director of Football Operations Bob Ackles "spent Tuesday afternoon negotiating with the player's agent in hopes of signing him to an offer sheet before Thursday."

According to a deal reached earlier this week between the NFL and the players association, all teams that have a franchise player designated must have guaranteed that player's contract by 4 PM yesterday or that player became what amounts to a restricted free agent.

It's a special situation that needs some explaining. Basically, if a team guaranteed a player's salary yesterday, they retained the franchise rights to that player and everything that goes with it. If they chose not to guarantee the salary, then the compensation price for that player went way down.

In McGlockton's case, if any team can sign him to an offer sheet, the Raiders will have 24 hours to match that offer. If the Raiders don't match, then the team signing McGlockton must give up some compensation, but that compensation will be much lower than the 2 first round draft picks that they would have had to give up if McGlockton had stayed the Raiders' guaranteed franchise player.

The compensation that the signing team will have to give up depends on when McGlockton signs the offer sheet. If he signs it before midnight tomorrow, then the signing team will have to give up a 2nd round pick in this year's draft to the Raiders. If McGlockton doesn't sign with anyone before tomorrow at midnight, then the signing team must give up a 1st and a 3rd round pick in the 1999 draft to the Raiders.

Obviously, it's to the signing team's advantage to get a deal done before tomorrow night.

Other teams that might be in the running for McGlockton are reported to be Kansas City, Jacksonville and Denver.

In other related news, the Dolphins did guarantee the franchise tag that they placed on Tim Bowens, meaning that they must pay him at least the $2.88 million average price of last year's 5 highest paid defensive tackles in the NFL.

Abba-Dabba 04-08-2005 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
What the hell are you talking about?
What the hell is a EFA?

He was the Raiders Franchise free agent.
The Chiefs didn't have to ask permission to talk to him.

Exclusive rights free agent. Chester McGlockton was not franchised. Oakland didn't have to use the franchise tag for a player they already had rights to. That is just stupid.

Do some research.

You obviously don't follow along too well. I didn't say KC had to get permission to speak with him. I said he has to get permission from Oakland to talk to other teams.