ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alice in Chains in KC Sat. Nov. 18th (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=145771)

Fish 08-17-2006 11:33 AM

Alice in Chains in KC Sat. Nov. 18th

Tickets on sale this Saturday....

Linkamatic v2.3c

Never seen them live... always wanted to. Small venue. Should be a good show.

htismaqe 08-17-2006 12:04 PM

AIC - Layne Staley <> AIC

Brock 08-17-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe

explain for us dummies.

htismaqe 08-17-2006 12:17 PM

Alice in Chains without DEAD lead singer Layne Staley is not really Alice in Chains.

Fish 08-17-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Yes... but.... I still think it would be a good show... and my closest attempt at seeing the rest of the band...

htismaqe 08-17-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish
Yes... but.... I still think it would be a good show... and my closest attempt at seeing the rest of the band...

I saw them at Lollapalooza in 92 or 93, but they were overshadowed by a brilliant performance by Primus and an upstart band called Rage Against the Machine...

Fish 08-17-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

I saw them at Lollapalooza in 92 or 93, but they were overshadowed by a brilliant performance by Primus and an upstart band called Rage Against the Machine...

Damn...... that would have been a helluva lineup....

htismaqe 08-17-2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish
Damn...... that would have been a helluva lineup....

It was.

Check it out:

Main Stage: Primus, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr., Fishbone, Arrested Development, Front 242, Babes in Toyland, Rage Against the Machine

Side Stage: Tool, Sebadoh, Cell, Unrest, Mercury Rev, Mosquito, Free Kitten, Royal Trux, Tsunami, Mutabaruka, The Coctails, Scrawl, Luscious Jackson, Genitorturers, Truly, Eggs, Girls Against Boys, Thurston Moore, Glue, Karl Hendrick's Trio, Hurl

Mr. Flopnuts 08-17-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Alice in Chains without DEAD lead singer Layne Staley is not really Alice in Chains.

Jerry Cantrell did a lot of the vocals for their songs as well. Their two voices sounded a lot alike too. I don't think they'll miss a beat playing their old songs. That said, RIP Lynn Staley. Shame he couldn't find that peace here on earth.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-17-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

It was.

Check it out:

Main Stage: Primus, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr., Fishbone, Arrested Development, Front 242, Babes in Toyland, Rage Against the Machine

Side Stage: Tool, Sebadoh, Cell, Unrest, Mercury Rev, Mosquito, Free Kitten, Royal Trux, Tsunami, Mutabaruka, The Coctails, Scrawl, Luscious Jackson, Genitorturers, Truly, Eggs, Girls Against Boys, Thurston Moore, Glue, Karl Hendrick's Trio, Hurl

T00L blew up that year. Sober was born. And everyone forgot about Green Jelly (o) Little Pig song that Maynard did vocals on.

Fish 08-17-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

It was.

Check it out:

Yeah..... I don't think I'd ever forget that one....

Nightwish 08-17-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

I kind of agree, but as long as Jerry Cantrell is still there, they will still be close to what they were with Layne. After all, Jerry was the senior songwriter, and about half the time was the lead singer. Losing Jerry would be a bigger blow to the AIC sound and feel than losing Layne Staley, imo.

Reaper16 08-18-2006 12:17 AM

AiC's brilliance was in the vocal harmonies between Cantrell and Staley. They won't be able to recapture that haunting, dark quality with any new vocalist they bring in.

Nightwish 08-18-2006 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16
AiC's brilliance was in the vocal harmonies between Cantrell and Staley. They won't be able to recapture that haunting, dark quality with any new vocalist they bring in.

I agree about the brilliance in their harmonies, but I don't agree that they can't come close to it with another vocalist. Layne Staley's voice and talent weren't particularly unique, and there are a ton of vocalists who have an ability that is on a par with his, and who have similar sounding voices. True, they can't recapture it completely, but I think they could still get close to it so that only the most discerning listeners would notice much difference. As I said, Jerry was pretty much the brains behind most of their work, and it was his creativity that was mostly responsible for those brilliant harmonies and choral leads.

jlscorpio 08-19-2006 10:50 AM

I saw that they're gonna be in Sioux Falls, which is still a bit far for me. If they were gonna be within 4 hrs, I would definately go. Jerry's voice is awesome, and IMO, is the core sound they always had, he and Layne's voices were eerily similar. AiC and Soundgarden were definately my favorite bands to come out of Seattle. I still appreciated the other bands, but those two really transcended the whole grunge movement, IMO. BTW, if any of you did that genre, 2 bands that were a big part of the movement but weren't MTV darlings are The Screaming Trees and Mudhoney. Check 'em out.