ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Governator wants two teams in LA... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140120)

bringbackmarty 05-02-2006 10:48 AM

Governator wants two teams in LA...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2430018
Try one first why dontcha?
Associated Press

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Tuesday he wants the NFL to return to the Los Angeles area -- with two teams.

After meeting with a group of NFL owners, Schwarzenegger said he was there to make sure "we're getting not only one NFL team to the Los Angeles area, Southern California, but to actually get two teams. That's why I came. Why limit it?"

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue and a committee of 11 owners met to hear proposals from Los Angeles and Anaheim. Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle were there to make separate presentations but joined the governor for a joint session.

"There's enough room and enough audience to have two teams," Schwarzenegger said. "We just have to all work together and make it happen."

Los Angeles, the nation's second-largest television market, has been without an NFL team since the Raiders and Rams both left after the 1994 season. When the NFL expanded in 2002, the new team went to Houston after Los Angeles leaders and supporters couldn't reach an agreement with the league.

Tagliabue, who is retiring in July, has long made it a priority to get a franchise back in Los Angeles.

The owners' committee, which includes Dan Rooney of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys and Bob Kraft of the New England Patriots, planned to hear stadium proposals from the Anaheim and Los Angeles officials. The cost estimates of $800 million are considerably higher than previous price tags.

Anaheim's plan calls for a new facility near Angels Stadium, which was converted to a baseball-only complex after the Rams left. The NFL team and the Los Angeles Angels had shared the stadium.

The Los Angeles plan is to construct a stadium inside the existing Los Angeles Coliseum, home to the Rams from 1946-79 and the Raiders from 1982-94.

The NFL owners' group won't make any decisions on the proposals during their meeting at a Dallas-Fort Worth Airport hotel. Instead, the group will make a presentation at the league's spring meetings in Denver, scheduled May 22-24.

After Schwarzenegger and the two mayors emerged from a 10-minute meeting with the owners, the governor chatted in the hallway with Jones, the Cowboys' owner. Tagliabue then pulled the group back into the meeting for about 20 minutes.

The governor returned to Los Angeles immediately afterward. The individual presentations by the cities were later in the day.

StcChief 05-02-2006 10:58 AM

When the roof blows off the Superdome again (likely this year) maybe that will be enough to move Saints to LA.

bogie 05-02-2006 11:02 AM

I would LOVE a team in LA. My concern is the fan base will be similar to the Oakland gang members and it won't be safe to go to games anyway.

Ebolapox 05-02-2006 12:14 PM

they wouldn't support ONE nfl team, why would they support TWO nfl teams??

I like ahnold, but he's on mushrooms apparently

Simplex3 05-02-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1
they wouldn't support ONE nfl team, why would they support TWO nfl teams??

I like ahnold, but he's on mushrooms apparently

:clap:

BIG_DADDY 05-02-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1
they wouldn't support ONE nfl team

They support two Basketball and two Baseball teams. They would easily support a football team.

Bowser 05-02-2006 12:20 PM

I bet AH-nold would love to be considered for a lead in a Spielberg directed drama, too.

Ebolapox 05-02-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
They support two Basketball and two Baseball teams. They would easily support a football team.

yeah. That's why the raiders and rams were so quick to leave ~ten years ago and nobody's been in a rush to get back

Simplex3 05-02-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY

I like you but this take is bulls**t without something to support it. LA has proven it can't support a football team not once but twice.

DaneMcCloud 05-02-2006 12:50 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...60#post3158260

I've given multiple reasons in this thread as to why both teams left Los Angeles, and NONE of them have to do with the fans. I'm not going to repeat myself, so read the posts on that thread.

Brock 05-02-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...60#post3158260

I've given multiple reasons in this thread as to why both teams left Los Angeles, and NONE of them have to do with the fans. I'm not going to repeat myself, so read the posts on that thread.

Maybe you'll get your own team this time instead of poaching somebody else's.

FloridaMan88 05-02-2006 01:25 PM

Give them the 'Aints and Chargers

ROYC75 05-02-2006 01:36 PM

2 ? BTA Arnold has always been full of shit.

BIG_DADDY 05-02-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
I like you but this take is bulls**t without something to support it. LA has proven it can't support a football team not once but twice.

They are LA people dude. They need an indoor stadium the caliber of Staples Center and not only will every game be sold out they will also do it at top dollar. I wouldn't put a team in there without a new stadium.

buddha 05-02-2006 01:51 PM

The Chargers came from LA originally...some of you young guys probably didn't know that! :)

Orange County supported the Rams, but there was an issue with the stadium down there. They could easily support their own team.

L.A. proper could also support its own team...however, where to put it? You would get fewer hoods if it were in Pasadena or someplace like that. The L.A. Coliseum is in hoodville. Most families wouldn't risk their necks by going down there.