ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs What kind of HC do you want next? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265653)

RunKC 10-24-2012 10:48 PM

What kind of HC do you want next?

Pioli is fired, Romeo is shown the door (or in his case will probably retire).

What kind of coach do you want?

A veteran coach who has had success as a head coach before, like Brian Billick, Mike Holmgren or a Bill Cowher (I doubt he leaves TV so soon)?

or...

A young coordinator who has potential as a head coach, like Mike McCoy, Perry Fewell or Mike Zimmer?

Psyko Tek 10-24-2012 10:52 PM

GIVE ME CRAZY TODD
or somebody like him
I want balls and stupid choices and fire from the team

In58men 10-24-2012 10:53 PM

I'll take Haley again with a new GM

BossChief 10-24-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9047309)
I'll take Haley again with a new GM

You're not the only one.

Apart from the obviously "not gonna happen" options....Id take

McCoy from Denver, Kyle Shannahan from Washington, Andy Reid or Bill Cowher.

boogblaster 10-24-2012 10:59 PM

young fire-breather that dont take any crap from anyone .. players coaches office ....

BigMeatballDave 10-24-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047324)
Bill Cowher.

:shake:

Why?

Chief3188 10-24-2012 11:02 PM

I don't care if they are offensive or defensive oriented, I just want a good hard nosed coach in his 40's that has a reputation of holding players accountable and helping them at the same time. No more retreads. Lets get a coach who builds his reputation with a new QB here and not someone who already has a reputation as a head coach elsewhere.

BossChief 10-24-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9047333)

Why?

3 reasons

1) The players we have on defense would THRIVE in his zone blitzing, attacking defense.

2) He knows that it takes a franchise quarterback to win a championship

3) He always did a great job of developing the talent he had in Pittsburgh because he held the players accountable (like Haley did and Romeo doesnt seem to) and his teams were always in the hunt.

BigMeatballDave 10-24-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047341)
3 reasons

1) The players we have on defense would THRIVE in his zone blitzing, attacking defense.

2) He knows that it takes a franchise quarterback to win a championship

3) He always did a great job of developing the talent he had in Pittsburgh because he held the players accountable (like Haley did and Romeo doesnt seem to) and his teams were always in the hunt.

I'm not so sure Ben wasn't forced on him.

He tried to win with Cordell ****ing Stewert.

He's been away from the game for 7 seasons now.

I wouldn't hate it, but I'm not in favor of it.

Chief_For_Life58 10-24-2012 11:15 PM

we need a hardass who wont put up with shit and demands 110% from his players

Bump 10-24-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047324)
You're not the only one.

Apart from the obviously "not gonna happen" options....Id take

McCoy from Denver, Kyle Shannahan from Washington, Andy Reid or Bill Cowher.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...gifs/t9kzu.gif

BossChief 10-24-2012 11:17 PM

He hasn't been away from the game, he has been away from coaching.

Who cares about Kordell Stewart? We will be in position to draft a franchise quarterback in the 2013 draft...that point is moot IMO.

chiefzilla1501 10-24-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogblaster (Post 9047328)
young fire-breather that dont take any crap from anyone .. players coaches office ....

Gus Bradley. Or Jay Gruden.

chiefzilla1501 10-24-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047371)

Who cares about Kordell Stewart? We will be in position to draft a franchise quarterback in the 2013 draft...that point is moot IMO.

I'm not a fan of coaches like Cowher. One of the reasons veteran coaches struggle is sometimes due to stale philosophies. I think the bigger reason is they demand too much power over personnel, which Cowher will definitely want.

BigMeatballDave 10-24-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047371)

LOL The TV studio isn't the same as coaching.

I care about Kordell because he kept him as starting QB for 5+ seasons.

BossChief 10-24-2012 11:22 PM

nfl.com article on upcoming HCs

The 2012 NFL season is far from over, but it's never too early to look ahead. There figures to be several head-coaching vacancies following the season, so let's get a jump on examining some potential candidates for those jobs. I've come up with a list of seven names that will likely garner serious consideration for any head-coaching opportunities that arise following the season. I've also included brief comments from sources inside the NFL about each of the seven candidates.

(Scott Olmos/US Presswire)

Chip Kelly

Current job: Head coach, University of Oregon

Kelly has only been a head coach for four seasons at the collegiate level, but he has already established a sterling résumé. He has captured three Pac-10/Pac-12 titles and his team is currently undefeated and ranked No. 2 in the nation. He turned down the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job last offseason, but will likely have another NFL opportunity in 2013. His up-tempo offense would need some alterations to work at the NFL level, but his organizational skills and creativity will be very attractive to NFL owners.

NFC executive: "He runs the best practices I've ever seen. I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."

(Kevin Terrell/Associated Press)

Kyle Shanahan

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Washington Redskins

The Redskins' offense has been the talk of the 2012 NFL season. Robert Griffin III has been outstanding, but the design of the Redskins' scheme has been terrific, as well. Kyle Shanahan is getting a lot of praise around the NFL for quickly developing RG3 and designing a creative offense to fit his skills. Shanahan also was very successful during his two-year stint as the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator. In 2009, the Texans finished with the NFL's fourth-ranked offense under his leadership. Despite being only 32 years old, the son of Mike Shanahan already has coached in the NFL for nine seasons.

AFC executive: "Kyle is extremely smart and he's excellent with quarterbacks. He has all of his dad's qualities and he's going to be a great head coach."

(Paul Spinelli/Associated Press)

Mike McCoy

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Denver Broncos

McCoy has 13 years of NFL coaching experience, including the past four as the Broncos offensive coordinator. Last season, his reputation around the NFL soared as a result of his handling of the transition from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow. He completely overhauled his scheme in the middle of the season to accommodate Tebow's specific skill set. The Broncos finished the season with the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack. This season, he has smoothly transitioned his offense to suit Peyton Manning. They are currently ranked fourth in passing. Those rankings highlight McCoy's flexibility and willingness to adapt his scheme to his personnel.

NFC personnel executive: "I don't know Mike personally, but I've taken notice of the job he's done in Denver. He deserves a lot of credit for their success in 2011."

(Evan Pinkus/Associated Press)

Perry Fewell

Current job: Defensive coordinator, New York Giants

Fewell has done an outstanding job with the Giants. Their run to the Super Bowl last season was largely the result of his punishing defensive unit. He has overcome several injuries to key personnel and his reputation around the league is rock solid. He has interviewed for head-coaching jobs in the past, but those teams chose to go in a different direction. Many around the NFL believe he will not be passed over again.

AFC personnel executive: "I've never heard anything negative about him. His results speak for themselves and he deserves a head-coaching opportunity."

(Duane Burleson/Associated Press)

Brad Seely

Current job: Special teams coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

Seely has an excellent résumé and should garner consideration for any head-coaching vacancies following the season. He has coached in the NFL for 22 seasons, 10 of which were spent as the special teams coach under Bill Belichick in New England. He has transformed the 49ers' special teams unit into the NFL's very best. The fact that Baltimore's John Harbaugh has successfully made the transition from special teams coach to head coach should help Seely's candidacy.

Former player: "Brad was very well respected in our locker room. He is very detailed and he knows how to communicate."

(Ross D. Franklin/Associated Press)

Ray Horton

Current job: Defensive coordinator, Arizona Cardinals

Horton has quickly established a strong reputation as one of the NFL's top defensive minds. Following a 10-year playing career, he's been a successful assistant coach for 18 years. He served as the secondary coach for the Steelers prior to joining the Cardinals staff as defensive coordinator. The Cardinals have one of the NFL's top defensive units and Horton's scheme is broadly praised around the league.

NFC personnel executive: "He's going to be impressive during the interview process. He's very smart and confident and he has the ability to relate to everyone."

(Andrew Weber/US Presswire)

Bill O'Brien

Current job: Head coach, Penn State

It is highly unlikely that O'Brien would depart Penn State after only one season on the job. He has an incredibly expensive buyout clause in his contract and that would be a major deterrent to potential NFL suitors. That being said, he is a very hot name around NFL circles. He was a successful assistant under Bill Belichick and he has shown incredible leadership in guiding the Penn State program through an extraordinarily difficult situation.

Former AFC personnel executive: "Knowing Bill, he has too much integrity to leave those kids, but he's eventually going to be a very successful NFL head coach. He's very tough and organized and he's a winner."

BossChief 10-24-2012 11:23 PM

Jay Gruden is another guy I forgot to add to my short list.

RunKC 10-24-2012 11:24 PM

I'd like a coaching who would come in here and hold the players accountable.

If Andy Reid is fired, I think we should jump all over him. He knows how to draft.

If Cowher doesn't want to coach again and Reid is not fired, I would like to go with Mike McCoy. I've been very impressed with him.

Bump 10-24-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047383)
Jay Gruden is another guy I forgot to add to my short list.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...gifs/f8Ukc.gif

Imon Yourside 10-24-2012 11:25 PM

One that will win multiple Championships and coach here for decades.....you know..I ain't asking for much.

RunKC 10-24-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047381)
nfl.com article on upcoming HCs

The 2012 NFL season is far from over, but it's never too early to look ahead. There figures to be several head-coaching vacancies following the season, so let's get a jump on examining some potential candidates for those jobs. I've come up with a list of seven names that will likely garner serious consideration for any head-coaching opportunities that arise following the season. I've also included brief comments from sources inside the NFL about each of the seven candidates.

(Scott Olmos/US Presswire)

Chip Kelly

Current job: Head coach, University of Oregon

Kelly has only been a head coach for four seasons at the collegiate level, but he has already established a sterling résumé. He has captured three Pac-10/Pac-12 titles and his team is currently undefeated and ranked No. 2 in the nation. He turned down the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job last offseason, but will likely have another NFL opportunity in 2013. His up-tempo offense would need some alterations to work at the NFL level, but his organizational skills and creativity will be very attractive to NFL owners.

NFC executive: "He runs the best practices I've ever seen. I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."

(Kevin Terrell/Associated Press)

Kyle Shanahan

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Washington Redskins

The Redskins' offense has been the talk of the 2012 NFL season. Robert Griffin III has been outstanding, but the design of the Redskins' scheme has been terrific, as well. Kyle Shanahan is getting a lot of praise around the NFL for quickly developing RG3 and designing a creative offense to fit his skills. Shanahan also was very successful during his two-year stint as the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator. In 2009, the Texans finished with the NFL's fourth-ranked offense under his leadership. Despite being only 32 years old, the son of Mike Shanahan already has coached in the NFL for nine seasons.

AFC executive: "Kyle is extremely smart and he's excellent with quarterbacks. He has all of his dad's qualities and he's going to be a great head coach."

(Paul Spinelli/Associated Press)

Mike McCoy

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Denver Broncos

McCoy has 13 years of NFL coaching experience, including the past four as the Broncos offensive coordinator. Last season, his reputation around the NFL soared as a result of his handling of the transition from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow. He completely overhauled his scheme in the middle of the season to accommodate Tebow's specific skill set. The Broncos finished the season with the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack. This season, he has smoothly transitioned his offense to suit Peyton Manning. They are currently ranked fourth in passing. Those rankings highlight McCoy's flexibility and willingness to adapt his scheme to his personnel.

NFC personnel executive: "I don't know Mike personally, but I've taken notice of the job he's done in Denver. He deserves a lot of credit for their success in 2011."

(Evan Pinkus/Associated Press)

Perry Fewell

Current job: Defensive coordinator, New York Giants

Fewell has done an outstanding job with the Giants. Their run to the Super Bowl last season was largely the result of his punishing defensive unit. He has overcome several injuries to key personnel and his reputation around the league is rock solid. He has interviewed for head-coaching jobs in the past, but those teams chose to go in a different direction. Many around the NFL believe he will not be passed over again.

AFC personnel executive: "I've never heard anything negative about him. His results speak for themselves and he deserves a head-coaching opportunity."

(Duane Burleson/Associated Press)

Brad Seely

Current job: Special teams coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

Seely has an excellent résumé and should garner consideration for any head-coaching vacancies following the season. He has coached in the NFL for 22 seasons, 10 of which were spent as the special teams coach under Bill Belichick in New England. He has transformed the 49ers' special teams unit into the NFL's very best. The fact that Baltimore's John Harbaugh has successfully made the transition from special teams coach to head coach should help Seely's candidacy.

Former player: "Brad was very well respected in our locker room. He is very detailed and he knows how to communicate."

(Ross D. Franklin/Associated Press)

Ray Horton

Current job: Defensive coordinator, Arizona Cardinals

Horton has quickly established a strong reputation as one of the NFL's top defensive minds. Following a 10-year playing career, he's been a successful assistant coach for 18 years. He served as the secondary coach for the Steelers prior to joining the Cardinals staff as defensive coordinator. The Cardinals have one of the NFL's top defensive units and Horton's scheme is broadly praised around the league.

NFC personnel executive: "He's going to be impressive during the interview process. He's very smart and confident and he has the ability to relate to everyone."

(Andrew Weber/US Presswire)

Bill O'Brien

Current job: Head coach, Penn State

It is highly unlikely that O'Brien would depart Penn State after only one season on the job. He has an incredibly expensive buyout clause in his contract and that would be a major deterrent to potential NFL suitors. That being said, he is a very hot name around NFL circles. He was a successful assistant under Bill Belichick and he has shown incredible leadership in guiding the Penn State program through an extraordinarily difficult situation.

Former AFC personnel executive: "Knowing Bill, he has too much integrity to leave those kids, but he's eventually going to be a very successful NFL head coach. He's very tough and organized and he's a winner."

Isn't Kyle Shannahan too young? He would tie Josh McDaniels as the youngest coach in NFL history at 32 right?

chiefzilla1501 10-24-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9047385)
I'd like a coaching who would come in here and hold the players accountable.

If Andy Reid is fired, I think we should jump all over him. He knows how to draft.

If Cowher doesn't want to coach again and Reid is not fired, I would like to go with Mike McCoy. I've been very impressed with him.

Oh, you mean like this guy? Monte Kiffin was so impressed with him that he pretty much demanded that Pete Carroll take him in. This guy will bring a 1-gap defense (like a 4-3 under which is a 3-4/4-3 hybrid) and he'll get his players to play.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ofv2MgMoFG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BossChief 10-24-2012 11:37 PM

Priority #1 for this team needs to be finding a coach that not only has a good track record of identifying franchise quarterbacks, but also developing them.

That should factor into this 80% of the coaching hire.

chiefzilla1501 10-24-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047416)
Priority #1 for this team needs to be finding a coach that not only has a good track record of identifying franchise quarterbacks, but also developing them.

That should factor into this 80% of the coaching hire.

Priority #1 should be hiring a GM who makes getting a franchise QB a priority. If you want to develop the QB, hire a good offensive coordinator or QBs coach.

For my head coach, I just want somebody who knows how to coach. I don't care if that's offense or defense.

Bump 10-24-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9047426)
Priority #1 should be hiring a GM who makes getting a franchise QB a priority. If you want to develop the QB, hire a good offensive coordinator or QBs coach.

For my head coach, I just want somebody who knows how to coach. I don't care if that's offense or defense.

yes, it needs to be a clean house and make it all about the QUARTERBACK that we are going to draft!

BossChief 10-24-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9047426)

For my head coach, I just want somebody who knows how to coach. I don't care if that's offense or defense

Any GM that is brought in KNOWS what the major need is on this team...its no big secret, even Stevie Wonder knows.

chiefzilla1501 10-24-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047434)

Any GM that is brought in KNOWS what the major need is on this team...its no big secret, even Stevie Wonder knows.

Exactly. If the GM knows the QB is a priority and hires a good QBs coach and offensive coordinator, then I don't see why it matters whether the head coach leans offense or leans defense.

WV 10-24-2012 11:51 PM

Am I the only one who is still upset at how bad Mike Singletary turned out to be? I really liked him and thought he would be a great coach.

Hoover 10-24-2012 11:52 PM

hard ass
enforcer
dick head

keg in kc 10-24-2012 11:55 PM

Young coordinator, offensive. No more retreads. No more defensive coaches. I want a young guy that could feasibly coach here for 15 years and then leave for a cushy studio job. I want somebody aggressive and innovative.

BossChief 10-24-2012 11:56 PM

We need to go ALL IN on whoever we draft to be the franchise QB, not go half assed.

I want an innovative offensive mind running the show and for us to double down with another great offensive mind at OC and a QB coach that knows the intricacies of the position.

Having a HC that is a defensive guy fails a lot more often than it works out.

We need to jump start this team into the new era with an innovator and Im not interested in another defensive head coach.

BossChief 10-24-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9047443)
Young coordinator, offensive. No more retreads. No more defensive coaches. I want a young guy that could feasibly coach here for 15 years and then leave for a cushy studio job. I want somebody aggressive and innovative.

bingo...mind melding

chiefzilla1501 10-25-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9047444)
We need to go ALL IN on whoever we draft to be the franchise QB, not go half assed.

I want an innovative offensive mind running the show and for us to double down with another great offensive mind at OC and a QB coach that knows the intricacies of the position.

We need to jump start this team into the new era with an innovator and Im not interested in another defensive head coach.

You are making shit up. 6 of the 11 top teams (above .500) are defensive head coaches. Matt Ryan and Christian Ponder are developing wonderfully under a defensive coach. Andrew Luck looks to be developing great under Pagano. Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco have developed nicely under Marvin Lewis and John Harbaugh. Last year, 5 of the 7 new hires were defensive coaches. There is nothing wrong with a defensive head coach if you hire a good offensive coordinator to complement him.

If you want an innovative offense, then hire a good offensive coordinator. I don't give a shit about how innovative the head coach is. X's and O's guys don't' always make good head coaches. Hire a coach who knows how to discipline his team, then put a talented, innovative offensive coordinator underneath him.

chiefzilla1501 10-25-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9047443)

I don't know where we got the impression that defensive coaches can't encourage innovation. I think Jeff Fisher and Herm Edwards scare people away. Nobody wants an old school defense/run heavy coach. Nobody wants a pure X's and O's guy like Romeo or Ron Rivera.

Chuck Pagano and Mike Smith run very progressive offenses behind a franchise QB. Leslie Frazier has run a pretty aggressive offense behind Christian Ponder. Mike Tomlin, prior to this year, ran a really aggressive pass offense in Pittsburgh. And you're forgetting that that innovative offense Mike McCoy has run throughout his time in Denver? He coaches for a defensive coach in John Fox.

Why? Because these guys are good head coaches. Regardless of what side of the ball they are more experienced with.

RunKC 10-25-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

This. Mike McCoy would be my choice. Put him at HC and then get Norv Turner to be the OC. Those 2 know QB's. Plus Norv isn't getting a HC job ever again, so he'd be here for a long time.

Tribal Warfare 10-25-2012 12:43 AM

A competent HC that can get the absolute best out of his players.

chiefzilla1501 10-25-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9047483)
This. Mike McCoy would be my choice. Put him at HC and then get Norv Turner to be the OC. Those 2 know QB's. Plus Norv isn't getting a HC job ever again, so he'd be here for a long time.

My OC candidate would be John Morton out of San Francisco. I like his pedigree. Been a passing game coordinator for Sean Payton, Pete Carroll, and a WRs coach under Jim Harbaugh.

xztop12 10-25-2012 12:48 AM

chip kelly is an interesting option

keg in kc 10-25-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9047479)
I don't know where we got the impression that defensive coaches can't encourage innovation.

I don't know where you get the impression that I said that.
Quote:

And you're forgetting that that innovative offense Mike McCoy has run throughout his time in Denver?
I'm forgetting? I didn't mention him.
Quote:

Why? Because these guys are good head coaches. Regardless of what side of the ball they are more experienced with.
The reason *I* want an offensive coach is because 1) defensive coaches have a tendency towards conservative play, players and philosophy, 2) the NFL is becoming an increasingly offensive league and I believe that aforementioned conservative mindset puts a team at a disadvantage, and 3) we've had primarily defensive coaches here for the last 20 years. They tried something else with Vermeil, they sort of tried something else with Haley, but the lion's share of time has been spent on Marty, Gun, Herm and now Crennel. I'd like to see the franchise truly try to go another direction, actually step into the 21st century NFL, and do it starting from the ground up, with a drafted quarterback that becomes the face of the team for the next decade. No more 'play not to lose' philosophy. No more hiring other teams' backups as starters behind center. No more parroting other teams way of doing things a couple of years after the rest of the league figures it out. No more old coaches trying to recover past glory. It's time to make a name for ourselves. It's time to actually do our own thing.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 01:00 AM

I don't think many of you guys inderstand the role of a good head coach.

Also, all this "hard ass" nonsense has been rendered moot by the new CBA. There is very little hitting and physical work allowed in training camp and weekly practices.

The next head coach needs to be organized, detailed and firm with his offensive and defensive philosophies and command respect of his players.

The Chiefs should avoid, at all costs, retreads like Reid, Holmgren and especially Cowher.

Chris Meck 10-25-2012 01:13 AM

I think you want a younger hotshot offensive coordinator, preferrably one that has demonstrated an ability to develop a young QB. For this reason, I am on the Jay Gruden bandwagon. He's done a great job with Dalton in Cinci.

Some people don't like him because he's Chucky's brother, but his resume is pretty great. He played the position (albeit college and lesser leagues), coached it, has been a championship head coach (albeit a lesser league) and now a successful NFL offensive coordinator working with a rookie starter at QB. Dalton is progressing nicely. He's also in his mid 40's and could conceivably coach 20+ years if it works out.

Kyle Shanahan is so young it worries me. Mike McCoy-I don't really get all the love. It's Peyton's offense now, so I don't credit him for what's happening now...and there's a reason Orton was benched for Tebow in the first place. I don't know. I'm not seeing it.

Seems to me that Jay Gruden is the perfect guy to draft and develop a QB. Our receiver corps fits a WC style perfectly. If Geno is not our guy (or is not available when we pick), but Barkley is, then this is even more of a slam dunk.

bowener 10-25-2012 01:31 AM

Clark is going to need to sell season tickets, so I think he is going to go after a big name coach that is a proven winner or a hometown favorite like Marty or his son.
Hell, he may go after Cowher since he will get a GM/coach combo; it may save him a few million a year... after all he is going to be paying Pioli for a year or two after canning his fat ass.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9047507)
Clark is going to need to sell season tickets, so I think he is going to go after a big name coach that is a proven winner or a hometown favorite like Marty or his son.
Hell, he may go after Cowher since he will get a GM/coach combo; it may save him a few million a year... after all he is going to be paying Pioli for a year or two after canning his fat ass.

Cowher has never been a GM.

RunKC 10-25-2012 02:19 AM

Clark doesn't need to worry about getting a shiny new coach to sell tickets.

I guarantee you that if we draft a 1st round QB in April, fans will flock to buy season tickets and jerseys.

shaggyshane 10-25-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

I agree. Especially since KC more than likely will be drafting a franchise QB. I want a coach that is willing to grow with the QB. I have always wanted Al Saunders but for some reason he was overlooked as a head coach numerous times by not only KC, but several teams.

bricks 10-25-2012 02:40 AM

I think the Chiefs need a bad season. They need to get the top pick in the draft and hopefully score on a guys like Geno Smith or Matt Barkley.

Then hire a coach like Cowher to fix the defense.

Those are the two best scenarios that can happen. We would have a much improved defense and quarterback to go along with really solid running game and offensive line.

Team isn't that far off. I think we would address the two most important components behind winning a bowl. That is, good quarterback play and top defense. That's my reason why I hope a scenario like this pans out. It needs to happen if our dreams are to see this team win a bowl.

007 10-25-2012 02:47 AM

no retreads and no oldfarts.

heh, guess those are the same thing now.

shaggyshane 10-25-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 9047522)
I think the Chiefs need a bad season. They need to get the top pick in the draft and hopefully score on a guys like Geno Smith or Matt Barkley.

Those are the two best scenarios that can happen. We would have a much improved defense and quarterback to go along with really solid running game and offensive line.

Team isn't that far off. I think we would address the two most important components behind winning a bowl. That is, good quarterback play and top defense. That's my reason why I hope a scenario like this pans out. It needs to happen if our dreams are to see this team win a bowl.

I gotta feeling Cowher will go to Carolina if he indeed leaves CBS.

King_Chief_Fan 10-25-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9047292)
Pioli is fired, Romeo is shown the door (or in his case will probably retire).

A veteran coach who has had success as a head coach before, like Brian Billick, Mike Holmgren or a Bill Cowher (I doubt he leaves TV so soon)?

or...

A young coordinator who has potential as a head coach, like Mike McCoy, Perry Fewell or Mike Zimmer?

I want a Jon Gruden type

chiefzilla1501 10-25-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9047491)
I don't know where you get the impression that I said that.I'm forgetting? I didn't mention him.The reason *I* want an offensive coach is because 1) defensive coaches have a tendency towards conservative play, players and philosophy, 2) the NFL is becoming an increasingly offensive league and I believe that aforementioned conservative mindset puts a team at a disadvantage, and 3) we've had primarily defensive coaches here for the last 20 years. They tried something else with Vermeil, they sort of tried something else with Haley, but the lion's share of time has been spent on Marty, Gun, Herm and now Crennel. I'd like to see the franchise truly try to go another direction, actually step into the 21st century NFL, and do it starting from the ground up, with a drafted quarterback that becomes the face of the team for the next decade. No more 'play not to lose' philosophy. No more hiring other teams' backups as starters behind center. No more parroting other teams way of doing things a couple of years after the rest of the league figures it out. No more old coaches trying to recover past glory. It's time to make a name for ourselves. It's time to actually do our own thing.

I get what you're coming from. But I don't buy into the idea that defensive coaches don't understand the importance of a good QB or would be conservative. Younger defensive coaches grew up in a passing league too. They've had to scheme against QBs. So they'd probably understand the importance of a good QB. And I don't think the newer batch of head coaches are going to be Herm Edwards. And a lot of newer defensive coaches are allowing for a more innovative passing scheme.

htismaqe 10-25-2012 06:30 AM

NEITHER.

I want a coach who has been a head coach before but HASN'T won a Super Bowl.

Most of these guys make their mistakes at their first stop and win it all at their SECOND.

I don't want any coach that has already won a Super Bowl.

Molitoth 10-25-2012 07:38 AM

I DO NOT want a players coach.

I want the coach to be a ****ing hardass that will not tolerate his players slacking or ****ing up. I want players benched for not performing.
I also want a coach that is a young up-and-comer, but has respect from players based on previous experience.

Someone like Todd Haley basically. I really liked Todd, it's too bad his career here got injured by Pioli and the QB situation.

ChiefMojo 10-25-2012 07:40 AM

Of assistant coaches only Jay Gruden and Perry Fewell interest me.

Gruden has a extensive résumé as a OC/QB coach but has been a head coach at multiple levels (just not the NFL yet). I'm sure he has the fire in his belly like his brother and would be a hard worker. Comes from a football family.

As for Fewell he is a relative new DC in the grand scheme of things. I love the way the Giants run their defense and how Tom Coughlin runs his team (after he lightened up a little). Fewell has worked under two stern HC's in Coughlin and Juron. He has also spent a fair amount of time at Army as a coach. He is probably the hottest assistant coach name to get a head coaching job after the season.

Parts of me wants to go with someone with head coaching experience. The only retreds that really interests me is Brian Billick, Mike Holmgren (as just HC) or Andy Reid. With that said Reid would have to understand we like to run the ball in KC and he can't just go throw throw throw! Mike Nolan or Jack Del Rio partially interest me as well.

dallaschiefsfan 10-25-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9047496)
I don't think many of you guys inderstand the role of a good head coach.

Also, all this "hard ass" nonsense has been rendered moot by the new CBA. There is very little hitting and physical work allowed in training camp and weekly practices.

The next head coach needs to be organized, detailed and firm with his offensive and defensive philosophies and command respect of his players.

The Chiefs should avoid, at all costs, retreads like Reid, Holmgren and especially Cowher.

THIS. Although I'm not as convinced that hard ass coaches are gone.

From the NFL.com article, Chip Kelley is the most interesting to me. His profile sounds like the kind of guy that can handle an NFL team...the organization and creativity and ability to communicate all stand out. I'm most interested in him. I'm intrigued by Brad Seeley...but don't know enough.

I'm least interested in Mike McCoy. I can't put my finger on it, but I get this feeling that he'll always be a guy that's a good OC, but isn't cut out for the lead chair.

malachi47000 10-25-2012 08:25 AM

I know he is a retread, but he has taken 2 teams to the SB and has just announced he wants to get back to being a HC. He doesn't care to much for the GM duties and thus would work with a GM and not try to take control. Check out his record:

Head coaching record
NFL Champions
Team Year Regular season Post-season
Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
GNB 1992 9 7 0 .563 2nd in NFC Central - - - -
GNB 1993 9 7 0 .563 3rd in NFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in NFC Divisional Game.
GNB 1994 9 7 0 .563 2nd in NFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in NFC Divisional Game.
GNB 1995 11 5 0 .688 1st in NFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in NFC Championship Game.
GNB 1996 13 3 0 .813 1st in NFC Central 3 0 1.000 Won Super Bowl XXXI.
GNB 1997 13 3 0 .813 1st in NFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXXII.
GNB 1998 11 5 0 .688 2nd in NFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Wild-Card Game.
GNB Total 75 37 0 .670 9 5 .643

SEA 1999 9 7 0 .563 1st in AFC West 0 1 .000 Lost to Miami Dolphins in AFC Wild-Card Game.
SEA 2000 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC West - - - -
SEA 2001 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC West - - - -
SEA 2002 7 9 0 .438 3rd in NFC West - - - -
SEA 2003 10 6 0 .625 2nd in NFC West 0 1 0.000 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Wild-Card Game.
SEA 2004 9 7 0 .563 1st in NFC West 0 1 0.000 Lost to St. Louis Rams in NFC Wild-Card Game
SEA 2005 13 3 0 .813 1st in NFC West 2 1 0.667 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XL.
SEA 2006 9 7 0 .563 1st in NFC West 1 1 0.500 Lost to Chicago Bears in NFC Divisional Game.
SEA 2007 10 6 0 .625 1st in NFC West 1 1 0.500 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game.
SEA 2008 4 12 0 .250 3rd in NFC West - - - -
SEA Total 86 74 0 .541 4 6 .400
Total 161 111 0 .592 13 11 .542

He also is a QB coach who has worked with Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre and Matt Hasselbeck (all PRO BOWL QBS) and has ties with Jim Zorn. As long as he doesn't get any of the GM duties (which he doesn't want, all he wants to do is coach) then he could take a good QB in the draft and turn this team around.

"When Randy Lerner brought the curtain down on an ownership that was too long and too disengaged, it also fell on his top lieutenant, "The Big Show," Mike Holmgren. In keeping with the theme of Lerner's ownership, Holmgren himself seemed fundamentally disconnected from his job.

Before leaving, probably sooner and not later, Holmgren this week indicated he might be up for an encore somewhere else. Only not at that team president thing. At being a coach. At the thing at which he's very, very good. "

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/...as_out_of.html

This wouldn't be my first choice as a coach, however he could be someone to consider. Flame away...

R8RFAN 10-25-2012 08:26 AM

A young coordinator who has potential as a head coach

BoneKrusher 10-25-2012 08:29 AM

Naturally i want a winner.
also i want a HC that knows how to gameplan and make adjustments during the games and most importantly he must know how to groom our Franchise Quarterback.

R8RFAN 10-25-2012 08:30 AM

Personally I would take someone from the Giants, they are the shit

bricks 10-25-2012 08:53 AM

Aside from hiring a good head coach, I hope this team could strike good fortunate by finding an OC.

I think the Chiefs have been unfortunate there. Don't get me wrong, I think they've had a few good ones in Weis and Gailey but their time has been short lived.

We need to find a good OC that can also provide longevity, stability and consistency. I'm tired of seeing this team constantly hire and switch OC's. Its hard to build a good offense when you're constantly switching systems/offensive philosophies.

el borracho 10-25-2012 08:58 AM

What kind of HC do you want next?

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EsIKexb5DM8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-25-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9047358)

Over a decade ago. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he has probably learned a thing or two about the league since that time.
He doesn't strike me as a complete dumbass.

TEX 10-25-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9047600)
NEITHER.

Most of these guys make their mistakes at their first stop and win it all at their SECOND.

I don't want any coach that has already won a Super Bowl.

Interesting... Food for thought :hmmm:

FlaChief58 10-25-2012 10:57 AM

Someone that knows how to develop a QB, puts players in a position to take advantage of their skillset, knows how to make in-game adjustments and holds everyone accountable for their actions

Rausch 10-25-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9047600)
NEITHER.

I'd prefer the guy the has...

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-25-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9048336)

Repeatedly.

Pioli couldn't bring Belicheat with him = Case closed.

Rausch 10-25-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPioliSatan (Post 9048341)
Repeatedly.

Pioli couldn't bring Belicheat with him = Case closed.

You're talking GM?

My bad. I was talking HC.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-25-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9048354)
You're talking GM?

My bad. I was talking HC.

That's what I meant. No Belicheat, no "Patriot Way".

htismaqe 10-25-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9048336)

Why purposefully buck trends?

That doesn't make any sense. No Super Bowl-winning head coach has won it all with a 2nd team. So let's try to be the first? In history?

That's the definition of insanity in my book.

Predarat 10-25-2012 12:31 PM

I want a mean guy that jumps up and down, an offensive cordinator background that is the runner up in the upcoming superbowl.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 9047522)

For ****'s Sake, NO.

You hire a defensive coordinator and position coaches to "fix" a defense, not a head coach.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 9047863)
Aside from hiring a good head coach, I hope this team could strike good fortunate by finding an OC.

I think the Chiefs have been unfortunate there. Don't get me wrong, I think they've had a few good ones in Weis and Gailey but their time has been short lived.

We need to find a good OC that can also provide longevity, stability and consistency. I'm tired of seeing this team constantly hire and switch OC's. Its hard to build a good offense when you're constantly switching systems/offensive philosophies.

This whole post is bullshit.

First off, under Pioli, the OFFENSIVE SYSTEM HAS BEEN IDENTICAL!

Every offensive coordinator has run the Erhardt/Perkins offense, which Bill Parcells ran with the Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys and Dolphins (Sparano). While there have been different playcallers, the system and terminology is identical.

It's no different than San Francisco in their glory days running the West Coast offense with a myriad of offensive coordinators, from Holmgren to Shanahan to Mariucci and Seifert running the show.

Secondly, no offensive coordinator is going to provide "longevity" on his own. Either the team wins or it loses. It's not up the coordinator to provide anything other than wins.

FlaChief58 10-25-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9048606)
I want a mean guy that jumps up and down, an offensive cordinator background that is the runner up in the upcoming superbowl.

:hmmm: where have I heard this before?

BossChief 10-25-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9048399)
Why purposefully buck trends?

That doesn't make any sense. No Super Bowl-winning head coach has won it all with a 2nd team. So let's try to be the first? In history?

That's the definition of insanity in my book.

None have WON a superbowl again, but a bunch of them have gotten to the superbowl after already winning one.

Do you have a rabbits foot on a keychain, don't walk under ladders, break mirrors and worry about black cats crossing your path, too?

Holmgren, Vermiel, Gruden and a few others have brought multiple teams to the superbowl.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9048652)
None have WON a superbowl again, but a bunch of them have gotten to the superbowl after already winning one.

Do you have a rabbits foot on a keychain, don't walk under ladders, break mirrors and worry about black cats crossing your path, too?

Holmgren, Vermiel, Gruden and a few others have brought multiple teams to the superbowl.

Gruden?

Vermeil was on his way out. John Shaw wanted to fire him in 1999 and forced Trent Green and Mike Martz on him. He wanted him out so bad he forced him out after they won the Super Bowl.

DaKCMan AP 10-25-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9047292)

An Awesome coach.

Titty Meat 10-25-2012 12:53 PM

Offensive league offensive mind.

CoMoChief 10-25-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9047358)

He also went to a SB with Stewart right? Or was that Neil O'Donnell?

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9048678)

What coach doesn't want a high octane, high output offense these days?

BigMeatballDave 10-25-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9048693)
What coach doesn't want a high octane, high output offense these days?

Crennel?

:)

CoMoChief 10-25-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9048678)

This x1000

Not anything against def minded HC's, but unless you have a great QB, they will make your head spin out of control with the decisions they make.