ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Seattle is about to get the Sonics back (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268677)

Deberg_1990 01-09-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9300196)
Nice thing is the Sprint Center has been doing great even without an anchor tenant.

Yea, im sure it was primarily built in order to have more Chesney, Aldean and Taylor Swift concerts.

Thig Lyfe 01-09-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9300215)
Oh no, the Sacramento Kings are leaving? But I...well..that is...yeah. I still don't give a shit about the NBA.

Great idea to open this thread, then!

|Zach| 01-09-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9300226)
Yea, im sure it was primarily built in order to have more Chesney, Aldean and Taylor Swift concerts.

It is a great arena that does great business. Its not like this is the arena version of metro north mall.

This situation is a lot better than having a team in there that might not be well supported.

Strongside 01-09-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9300207)
There was an article posted a while back that listed the most over-extended sports cities in terms of population/disposable income and number of sports teams... and if KC added an NHL or NBA team, they would be on top of that list. The interesting thing is, IIRC, Denver was on top of the list, even though I thought they at least did a decent job of supporting all of their teams.

I've love to see a hockey team here, but I wonder how many people would be willing to put down money for 41 home games plus playoff games... it's a pretty big investment, not even including the high dollar seats on the glass.

I would be one of those people.

jd1020 01-09-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9300156)
That's our team though, does anyone feel sorry for us? No.

Do you feel sorry for you? What are you really losing?

whoman69 01-09-2013 01:55 PM

Congrats to Seattle. It won't make up for all the rain...but its nice.

listopencil 01-09-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9300233)
Great idea to open this thread, then!

Yeah it was. I live in Northern California. About two hours North of Sacramento, where I lived from early 1988 to mid 1995. After looking at this thread I found an article about it online and posted a link to it on FB so I can witness the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Bearcat 01-09-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9300220)
I am not big into NBA or NHL I would love for a team to come in and be successful but I am really similar to you here...just pretty skeptical it would work.

I'd think something would have to suffer, beyond putting pressure on other local teams to do well. And of course it's one thing when it's a shiny new team or highly successful, and completely different when you're looking at these price tags and your team hasn't made the playoffs in a few years...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...psc0b9033c.png

|Zach| 01-09-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9300269)
I'd think something would have to suffer, beyond putting pressure on other local teams to do well. And of course it's one thing when it's a shiny new team or highly successful, and completely different when you're looking at these price tags and your team hasn't made the playoffs in a few years...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...psc0b9033c.png

People in Kansas City love the idea of having things.

okcchief 01-09-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9300143)
As part of this deal, the NBA should send Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and Nick Collison to Seattle and send the the Kings roster to OKC.....ya know, since the SUPERSONICS drafted all of those players and got them stolen away.

Can you imagine if the Chiefs drafted our QBOTF who turns into an elite NFL player only to have a team from cowtown OKC steal them from us?

I really feel for the Sonic fans. At least they are getting their team back.

The owner and GM who moved the team made all of the moves to make the team better. Had Seattle approved the arena deal 5 or 6 years ago they would have them.

There was a hardcore fanbase that was pissed from day one like Flop, and I feel for those fans. The major uproar began when the Thunder became the darlings of the NBA.

However, Seattle is doing the same thing to Sacramento that OKC did to Seattle. The same thing that Sacremento did to my Kings when I was 12 years old.

It's business and the community made the decision. If the Thunder weren't making the playoffs would you still want those players?

Your argument is silly.

Congrats to Seattle though. I'm happy you are getting a team.

kcxiv 01-09-2013 02:16 PM

actually seattle isnt doing the same thing. The owners for Thunder siad they werent going to move the team, then said later suckers!

Everyone knows with this move the team is going to Seattle, Its a different beast.

|Zach| 01-09-2013 02:16 PM

In other Seattle sports news the MLS schedule was released today and the Seattle Sounders and Colorado Rapids play eachother on 4/20. LMAO

Imon Yourside 01-09-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9300250)
Do you feel sorry for you? What are you really losing?

I'm speaking of the past about the day we lost the KINGS, no one gave a shat.

WilliamTheIrish 01-09-2013 02:20 PM

The Kings were pretty terrible except for a three year stretch. I saw some great games and great players when they were here for sure. I saw Tiny Archibald take them to their first playoff series in 1975. They lost to the Bulls. Tiny tore his achilles the year before and they finished about 20 games under .500.

The playoff series with the Suns in 81 was awesome. Winning the 7th game on the road with Wedman and Otis Birdsong and Sam Lacey was fantastic. Losing to Moses Malone in the Western Conference finals was not as awesome.

Was at their last home game. The Lakers came to town on the last day of the season. Everybody was there to see magic and Kareem. The Lakers left Magic at home to nurse a knee and Kareem didn't play/travel because of a migraine.

Didn't matter. The Kings kept it close until the late 4th quarter. Wilkes, Cooper, Worthy,McAdoo, Byron Scott were enough. And they still had Kupchek, Mike McGee, Rambis and Ronnie Lester on the bench. Sick roster.

I remember the PA guy took a line from Don Meredith and said "Turn out the lights, the party's over" as we left.

ChiefsCountry 01-09-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9300122)
May the Maloof bros DIAF, still remember them stealing the Kings from us.

The Maloofs didn't own the Kings when they moved from Kansas City. They owned the Rockets at that time.