ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Are you an alcoholic? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=211156)

luv 07-31-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 5939141)
I have way too much 3rd party experience with alcohol to be able to indulge in it regularly. I picked my poison and went a different direction.

I think, if I were to get hooked on anything, it would be prescription meds such as hydrocodone and such. Or phentermine.

Baby Lee 07-31-2009 05:53 PM

Got to where my mind was too active to sleep without wasted hours of tossing and turning, so it's a juice glass of 80 proof and right off to bed.
In a way I'm depending on it, to shut down the brain so I can get to sleep with ease. But I'm not messing with Ambien or shit like that.
Other than dip during the day and 1-3 smokes to go with the nightcap, no other intoxicants of any type. Never tried any.
Also, haven't had a beer in what must be well over a year.

luv 07-31-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 5939150)
I can understand that. If it was legal and I wouldnt lose my job over it, I would.

I'd have to learn how to inhale.

keg in kc 07-31-2009 05:56 PM

I used to drink a lot. I don't now. Maybe a beer or two every few weeks. Maybe every few months a binge that might or might not result in room spinning and porcelain prayer. So, no, I don't think I'm an alcoholic.

JOhn 07-31-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 5939146)
I think, if I were to get hooked on anything, it would be prescription meds such as hydrocodone and such. Or phentermine.

Very easy to do, especially when they switch you to Oxycontin, or MS, that shit is very hard to kick. And yea I know, I was addicted to that shit for over 5 years after messing up my back.

Halfcan 07-31-2009 06:16 PM

I am hooked on RUSH since 1980-best drug in the world!!

the band Rush-not paint thinner btw

Mr. Flopnuts 07-31-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 5939185)
I am hooked on RUSH since 1980-best drug in the world!!

the band Rush-not paint thinner btw

You can choose a steady guide in some celestial voice. If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!

JOhn 07-31-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 5939191)
Didnt they have that in the 80's, like you could go to a convience store and is was sitting right there on the counter? I cant belive that was ever legal.

Uhhhhh Yea they did. I blame it for failing Language Arts in the 10th grade :doh!:

KCCHIEFS27 07-31-2009 06:41 PM

I think I can answer this question with two words: I'm Irish.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HKD_o4gbcSE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HKD_o4gbcSE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ziggysocki 07-31-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 5939023)
I'm similar to ziggisocki and Dane. I'm a fairly heavy drinker, with low dependencey and no spillover into the rest of my life. I enjoy drinking and think of it as a reward for when my day's work is finished. I drink mostly at home, spread it out over several hours, never get "hammered" and can control it.

That said, I decided on the morning of July 13 that I've been drinking too much. Mostly worried about irreversible health effects like liver and CNS damage. I decided on that day that I was going to limit myself to 1000 drinks per year, distributed however I want. That is almost 3 drinks a day, which would be a significant drop in consumption for me -- like I said, I've been drinking too much. That flexibility of having a large number of drinks to manage over a long period of time was important to me so that I never feel like I couldn't have a drink if I want it. Limiting myself to 3 drinks a day or 20 drinks per week was not appealing. But 1000 drinks in 1 year seemed like it would allow me to have freedom, while still helping me to significantly drop my consumption.

Beginning on July 13, I've been religiously measuring every drink with a shot glass and recording them on a spreadsheet. This ritual keeps me focused on my goal since I am a quantitative person. I've had 34 drinks in the last 18 days, which puts me on a pace for about 700 for the year. On my highest day I had 6 and on several days I've had none, and haven't felt deprived. I have a column that shows me how many drinks I can have today while staying on pace for my 1000 for the year. Today I can have 18 drinks and still be on pace. I won't drink anywhere near that many, but I like to watch that column grow. Actually, I want to have a decent bank built up for holidays, vacation and the like. Maybe by the end of the year I will have only drank 586 drinks or something. That's fine if that's what happens. But that is not the goal. The goal is 1000.

You are gonna be shithammered for the entire month of December! ROFL ... but seriously, cool plan.

Chaunceythe3rd 07-31-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 5938836)
No, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings.

ROFL

alanm 07-31-2009 10:43 PM

A friend of Bill W's for over 12 years and counting.
I was a heavy drinker that sometimes got out of control.
My previous occupation demanded that I maintain a illusion of being someone who I was not. I was paid for doing drugs and alcohol to maintain that illusion. When you're in that situation it's fairly easy to slide into the deep end. Only problem was it stayed with me longer than the assignments lasted. Got help, quit drinking, finally retired after 20.
As they say, everything happens for a reason.

LaChapelle 07-31-2009 10:47 PM

It was a amnesic pathway to ruin.

alanm 07-31-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 5939557)
007 that you?

penny money called and want's to give me a B.J. :doh!:

Not even close. :shake:

cdcox 07-31-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 5939301)
You are gonna be shithammered for the entire month of December! ROFL ... but seriously, cool plan.

Doubtful. I hardly ever go past a heavy buzz. But if I decide to celebrate the holidays and have 6 drinks a day for a couple of weeks, I want to make sure I've got them in the bank. We are also planning to go to Cancun in June, near the end of my drinking year. I don't want to be running short then either. Or come back from vacation and have to go stone sober for a month. I can do that (and will if needed to meet my goal) but don't want to. So I'm pacing myself.