ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football A story fit for Raiders week (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239374)

kysirsoze 12-31-2010 05:25 AM

A story fit for Raiders week

I work as a concierge for a hotel in Hollywood. Tonight some guests were in the concierge lounge and I overheard them talking as I sat at my desk browsing CP. As they went on one of the guys mentioned he played in the last football game ever played in Metropolitan Stadium. This piqued my interest. Then he casually mentioned that it was when he was playing for the Kansas City Chiefs.*

Now, a lot of celebrities come through this hotel and I am practically never tempted to say anything. I find it generally embarrassing not to mention it could get me fired if the person in question wanted to be a dick about it. But when he said that, I all too bluntly busted in with, "You used to play for the Chiefs!?!" He looked over at me surprised and said, "Yes." I told him I was a huge Chiefs fan and he replied, "Well, I played there for two years, I'm really more of a Raider. I played there for nine."

He looked at me for a moment wondering what my response would be. I finally said, "Well for now I'm going to forget that last part. By the way, your drinks are on me. Raider or not, no former Chief pays for drinks in my lounge." Not a really charitable gesture in actuality since the booze wasn't mine to give, but he seemed grateful.

His name was(is) Jeff Gossett. He was a punter in the league from '81 to '96. I honestly didn't remember him, since at the time he was with the Raiders, that was when I was really getting into Chiefs football and didn't notice things like opposing punters. When he was with the Chiefs I wasn't alive. Never the less, the guys with him went on to pressure him into giving me an autograph. He was more than willing, but he cautioned me it would be on a picture of him as a Raider since he was in town to sign autographs at a Raiders booster rally. I told him that would be fine, but it would be going on my dartboard this Sunday.

This is what he gave me:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5474/raiderc.jpg

He told me about how great it was playing in Arrowhead, even as an opposing player. How the passion of the fans always made it memorable. He also couldn't help but remember that in the nine years he played for the Raiders they only beat us twice. I couldn't stifle my satisfied chuckle at that one. It was cool hearing him talk about how great the rivalry was and his affection for Lamar Hunt. He told me about living near the Plaza and having Bill Kenney as the best man at his wedding.

Probably the best part was that when he talked about those games, you could just feel that fire that the Chiefs-Raiders rivalry used to spark in the players. (Yes, even the punters:p) I am hoping that the guys playing now can get to that point. It already feels like a more intense rivalry than it's been in years.

When they were done he tipped me very well and left. Seemed like a really great guy. Here's hoping he's sorely disappointed this Sunday.:evil:

kysirsoze 12-31-2010 05:26 AM

*Apparently the Royals also played in the last baseball game in that stadium. Weird, huh?

Chiefs4TheWin 12-31-2010 05:34 AM

That's pretty cool! :thumb:

JOhn 12-31-2010 05:37 AM

Very cool indeed my man.

I've got to Meet Clark Hunt last winter when I was at my last hotel here in Cody. Apparently Hunt Oil owns a lot of property in this area....

Always cool, and indeed very interesting the people you get to meet in our line of work :thumb:

Link to the Hunt thread

kysirsoze 12-31-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOhn (Post 7306186)
Very cool indeed my man.

I've got to Meet Clark Hunt last winter when I was at my last hotel here in Cody. Apparently Hunt Oil owns a lot of property in this area....

Always cool, and indeed very interesting the people you get to meet in our line of work :thumb:

Yeah. It's nice when you get to talk to them rather than just making a restaurant reservation or something like that. Joe Posnanski came into the lounge one time, but he was in and out for some bottled water. Had he stuck around I probably would have said something to him. I would have tried to gush as much as I could about being a displaced fan in hopes of him writing a heartwarming column about it. :D

bevischief 12-31-2010 06:37 AM

Nice story, thanks for sharing.

Extra Point 12-31-2010 07:36 AM

An actual:

"Cool story, brah!"

RNR 12-31-2010 07:55 AM

I have met him a couple times and he is a very nice guy~

Rasputin 12-31-2010 08:36 AM

Cool story.

I have a raider topps card, WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, I put it in the bottom of my ash trey. So every time I put a cigarette out a Raider feels the burn. :fire: bewha ha ha ha ha...

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-31-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool han Luke (Post 7306235)
Cool story.

I have a raider topps card, WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, I put it in the bottom of my ash trey. So every time I put a cigarette out a Raider feels the burn. :fire: bewha ha ha ha ha...

:LOL:

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-31-2010 10:45 AM

And I didn't see anywhere in your story that you mentioned having a friend that jacks off pigs ???????

Rain Man 12-31-2010 11:58 AM

I remember Jeff Gossett. I don't remember feeling particularly sad when he became a Raider, other than for philosophical reasons. But hey, he was in the league at least 11 years longer than I was, so I have no room to talk.

Rain Man 12-31-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 7306418)
And I didn't see anywhere in your story that you mentioned having a friend that jacks off pigs ???????

If it makes you feel better, I mention that often. When you're at parties and there's some kind of pork appetizer, it makes for a great conversation starter.

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-31-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7306574)
If it makes you feel better, I mention that often. When you're at parties and there's some kind of pork appetizer, it makes for a great conversation starter.

Thankyou, It makes me feel good to know I'm appreciated for what I do .

kysirsoze 12-31-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 7307913)
Thankyou, It makes me feel good to know I'm appreciated for what I do .

I'm sure you are.... by the pigs.