ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Nebraska Bubba Starling watch (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=245552)

Titty Meat 05-27-2011 01:41 PM

Bubba Starling watch

Since the MLB draft is in a week why not? Baseball gurus where do you see Starling getting drafted and what kind of money will be thrown his way? I heard momma Starling wants him to go to school but that could be posturing.

eazyb81 05-27-2011 01:43 PM

His family will say all the right things because that is what gives them leverage in negotiations.

He will go top 10, and no lower than #9 to the Cubs. I bet his bonus will be $7MM.

No way he ever steps foot on Nebraska's campus as a student.

Titty Meat 05-27-2011 01:44 PM

Whats the chances the Royals draft him? I would think he def. would go pro if they draft him. Also how signable is he?

rageeumr 05-27-2011 01:48 PM

You don't retain Scott Boras as an "adviser" and then go to college. He'll get drafted and he'll play baseball.

eazyb81 05-27-2011 01:49 PM

I think it's decent, but the rumors are that the Royals want pitching. Who knows at this point though because everyone is throwing out smoke signals.

He's signable for anyone as long as they show him the money. It's no surprise at this point how much he will cost, and you don't sign Scott Boras if you are not looking to get paid.

eazyb81 05-27-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7666340)
You don't retain Scott Boras as an "adviser" and then go to college. He'll get drafted and he'll play baseball.

Gerrit Cole did.

DeezNutz 05-27-2011 01:49 PM

I'll be surprised if the Royals don't take him if he's there, and I think his bonus will be in the 5-6 range.

Mr. Arrowhead 05-27-2011 01:51 PM

ill definitely think he will be in the top 5, he wont get past the Royals

rageeumr 05-27-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 7666346)
Gerrit Cole did.

Supposedly the Yanks were going to give him $4M. Some reports say Starling could get twice that. I don't think so, I think it'll be in the $6M-$7M range, but that's still a big difference.

Titty Meat 05-27-2011 01:56 PM

Not that this means anything but:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...97882/29598322

I think he's going pro as well. I just don't see a position where he starts unless possibly at WR.

Coogs 05-27-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 7666351)
ill definitely think will be in the top 5, he wont get past the Royals

I think I have read where the Royals want a pitcher who has 3-4 years of college experience with the first round pick this year.

Starling probably represents a nightmare scenario for the Royals. If they pass, and he turns out to be a stud in the majors, the backlash could be huge, especially if whoever they select with that college experience does not pan out.

eazyb81 05-27-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 7666368)
I think I have read where the Royals want a pitcher who has 3-4 years of college experience with the first round pick this year.

Starling probably represents a nightmare scenario for the Royals. If they pass, and he turns out to be a stud in the majors, but backlash could be huge, especially if whoever they select with that college experience does not pan out.

Yeah This is the huge concern. That's why the Royals decision-makers get paid the big bucks though.

A college pitcher would help us a lot faster, as Starling will need some time to develop. But if he turns into the next Josh Hamilton or Carl Crawford for another team, people are going to be PISSED.

DeezNutz 05-27-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 7666368)

Starling probably represents a nightmare scenario for the Royals. If they pass, and he turns out to be a stud in the majors, the backlash could be huge, especially if whoever they select with that college experience does not pan out.

When drafting college pitchers, injury is a huge concern since so many of them are ****ing abused by their coaches. Example: all UNC pitchers.

sedated 05-27-2011 02:15 PM

Rany had a guy on yesterday discussing this. They don't think the Royals will pick him. He has hitting concerns because of where he played HS and the lack of...other...games (I'm not familiar with HS baseball, is it like basketball with the AAU circuit?), and the fact that he is a 3-5 year prospect. They will go after a college pitcher if one is available.

eazyb81 05-27-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 7666407)
Rany had a guy on yesterday discussing this. They don't think the Royals will pick him. He has hitting concerns because of where he played HS and the lack of...other...games (I'm not familiar with HS baseball, is it like basketball with the AAU circuit?), and the fact that he is a 3-5 year prospect. They will go after a college pitcher if one is available.

I read an article a few days ago that said Starling had a total of 27 at bats in high school this year.

Now he missed some time with a quad injury and he obviously was walked a ton because he is the star player on his team, but damn, 27 at bats is not a lot of data to make a multi-million dollar decision on a kid.