ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Colorado, kayaking, rafting, and camping advice... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260277)

BigRichard 06-07-2012 02:16 PM

Colorado, kayaking, rafting, and camping advice...

Starting a new job in a few weeks and I was thinking about taking a week to go over to Colorado. Never been and hear it is beautiful. I was thinking about doing some kayaking or rafting and some camping. The wife and I have never kayaked before so would you recommend doing this down some rapids? Or would you probably just go with a guide and a raft?

Do you have any suggestions on where to go in Colorado? I don't really have any gear so probably would like to go to something that provides all the gear. But I wouldn't be against purchasing some if need be. Any and all advice welcome.

crazycoffey 06-07-2012 02:21 PM

Estes park,
Cashe la Poudre river rafting,
hourse tooth canyon

DMAC 06-07-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665695)
Never been and hear it is beautiful.

LMAO That's the word on the street!

scorpio 06-07-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 8665703)
hourse tooth canyon

No such place.

Iowanian 06-07-2012 02:26 PM

I have friends who run/work for a rafting company. I'll send you information.

scorpio 06-07-2012 02:30 PM

Rocky Mountain National Park is nice.

Glenwood Springs is cool.

A lot of the ski towns are pretty fun even in summer, they have ziplining and let you ride mountain bikes down the ski runs and stuff.

Durango is neat. Take the train to Silverton.

Garden of the Gods down the Springs is worth checking out.

It's a big state.

007 06-07-2012 02:31 PM

Just don't go the first week of june. Too cold for rafting we discovered.

BigRichard 06-07-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8665729)

Well this doesn't sound promising. Won't be the first week but second or third.

BigRichard 06-07-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 8665727)
Rocky Mountain National Park is nice.

Glenwood Springs is cool.

A lot of the ski towns are pretty fun even in summer, they have ziplining and let you ride mountain bikes down the ski runs and stuff.

Durango is neat. Take the train to Silverton.

Garden of the Gods down the Springs is worth checking out.

It's a big state.

Do they have mountain bikes to rent? I have been considering buying a mountain bike just haven't done it yet.

DaFace 06-07-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8665729)

I'd call to check. We had a really early snowmelt this year, so I bet they're going pretty soon if they aren't now.

Rain Man 06-07-2012 02:51 PM

Yeah, you might want to do some inquiries with other rafters. We had a really bad snow year this winter, which might translate into a bad rafting year. We in Colorado welcome your tourist dollars, but we also want you to have a good experience.

I'm not a rafter, but it seems like I often hear about Canon City when people talk about rafting.

Donger 06-07-2012 02:53 PM

If you plan on doing any camping up in the mountains, be prepared for cold weather overnight. By cold, I mean near freezing. And, expect it to rain late afternoon and evening.

BigRichard 06-07-2012 02:53 PM

I was thinking about taking a train instead of driving or flying. Thought it would be cheaper then flying but it looks to be about the same price from Omaha to Denver.

Donger 06-07-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665796)
I was thinking about taking a train instead of driving or flying. Thought it would be cheaper then flying but it looks to be about the same price from Omaha to Denver.

Fly Frontier.

BigRichard 06-07-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8665795)
If you plan on doing any camping up in the mountains, be prepared for cold weather overnight. By cold, I mean near freezing. And, expect it to rain late afternoon and evening.

I will probably stay away from that. I am a big old wuss when it comes to cold weather and camping.