ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Damn I miss Dick Vermiel! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266413)

MahiMike 11-09-2012 11:51 AM

Damn I miss Dick Vermiel!

1 Attachment(s)
We'll never have an offense like his again. Wish he'd stuck around longer.:hail:

http://www.kansascitykc.com/chiefs/dick-vermeil/

Hammock Parties 11-09-2012 11:53 AM

damn, Vermeil is tall.

mikey23545 11-09-2012 12:04 PM

I thought we'd never have a defense like his again, either...

aturnis 11-09-2012 12:21 PM

Miss the offense, not the coach. Worst defense every, up until this defense...

Woodchuck 11-09-2012 12:29 PM

I'd rather be better on defense.

CoMoChief 11-09-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsponge Chuckpants (Post 9101281)
I'd rather be better on defense.

Not me....the object is to put the ball in the endzone...and we haven't consistently done that since DV left.

kcxiv 11-09-2012 12:45 PM

Wait for Danes post, if it wasnt for the FO forcing Vermeil to hire someone to run the offense he would be ass! lol

RealSNR 11-09-2012 12:58 PM

Vermeil was possibly worse at drafting players than Pioli.

I'm quite serious.

BlackHelicopters 11-09-2012 01:06 PM

Vermeil can bottle wine with the best of them.

Titty Meat 11-09-2012 01:10 PM

I loved Vermiel but for a guy who was around college football so much I can't believe his drafts were that bad.

HemiEd 11-09-2012 01:27 PM

Well at least that was entertaining football.

Check that, if you like watching pile ups in a NASCAR race, bullies picking on little kids, then the current Chiefs football would be entertaining.

tyton75 11-09-2012 01:34 PM

I miss Marty

FAX 11-09-2012 01:35 PM

After year four of Pioli's fabulous process, there are a lot of things I miss.

Having experienced this crap, had I been kidnapped by scientifically modified orangutans with titanium feet and held captive in a dishwasher for 12 years, I would miss that.

FAX

Rasputin 11-09-2012 01:36 PM

I miss Hank Stram and he was before my time.

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 01:40 PM

I ****ing hate Dick Vermeil. He led this franchise on its path to where it is currently.

Instead of drafting Drew Brees, he traded for a fragile Trent Green that lasted only 5 years. Instead of drafting BPA, they constantly reached for players that were busts. Instead of hiring competent defensive coordinators, he hired friends.

The drafts under Vermeil are the exact reason why the Chiefs have issues up and down the roster. He ****ing wasted everyone's time, while earning $4 million a year.

**** him.

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9101324)
Wait for Danes post, if it wasnt for the FO forcing Vermeil to hire someone to run the offense he would be ass! lol

That would be St. Louis.

And there's nothing incorrect with your post. John Shaw wanted him gone after his first two atrocious seasons in St. Louis. Only Georgia Frontiere's intervention saved his job.

For a year.

Radar Chief 11-09-2012 01:45 PM

I just miss having a team that acts like they want to play the game of football.
This team is mailing it in.

BoneKrusher 11-09-2012 02:04 PM

i know the Defense was bad with DV but damn Pioli's been building this team for 4 years and they play like an expansion team.

I Miss DV and Carl.

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 9101528)
i know the Defense was bad with DV but damn Pioli's been building this team for 4 years and they play like an expansion team.

I Miss DV and Carl.

Who cares? The results have been exactly the same:

No playoff wins.

Mr. Plow 11-09-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9101545)

No playoff wins.

But it was entertaining football - you can't deny that.

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9101619)
But it was entertaining football - you can't deny that.

I didn't find it entertaining in the least.

It actually pissed me off more than the Herm years because the draft choices and the defense were ****ing pathetic.

Plus, in five seasons, the Vermeil led Chiefs made the playoffs once.

ONCE.
And lost, of course.

**** Vermeil.

rabblerouser 11-09-2012 03:44 PM

**** that whiney wine drinking crybaby suckass.

For a BUNCH of reasons.

BoneKrusher 11-09-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

No playoff wins.

when DV was here i could hold my head up most Monday mornings.
the last two seasons under Pioli i've felt like crawling under a rock.

Demonpenz 11-09-2012 03:55 PM

that was awesome when he hung on to a kicker who could barely kick over 32 yards.

chefsos 11-09-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 9101785)

I've gotten over that. I'm weirdly proud now to point out to people that they're gonna see the worst NFL football possible Monday night. Hell, I'm still bothered more by games lost in 2005 that I am by one two weeks ago.

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 9101785)

If your "head is down" on Monday mornings because your favorite football team lost the day before, you might want to consider talking to someone about that.

rabblerouser 11-09-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefsos (Post 9101853)
I've gotten over that. I'm weirdly proud now to point out to people that they're gonna see the worst NFL football possible Monday night. Hell, I'm still bothered more by games lost in 2005 that I am by one two weeks ago.

Right - I'm numb.

In 2005, when Jordan Black lost that game in Buffalo for us, I was MAD.

Blew a double-digit lead at home to Philly - PISSED.

Now...I KNOW we're gonna lose. I want to lose 77-2, and the 2 to come from an intentional safety by Pitt at the end of the game, just so they can pin the Chiefs deep again. I want Matt Cassel to throw 5 TDs...to PITTSBURG.

****, I'm so mad.

BoneKrusher 11-09-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9101904)
If your "head is down" on Monday mornings because your favorite football team lost the day before, you might want to consider talking to someone about that.

i'm allright.
i need to figure out how to say **** You to this team.

Crush 11-09-2012 04:42 PM

Vermeil sucked. 0 playoff wins and his devotion to Greg Robinson made him a colossal failure. He relied on veterans and didn't develop any in-house talent. Grandpa Dick can go **** himself with a rusty spoon filled with antifreeze.

BoneKrusher 11-09-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9101946)
Vermeil sucked. 0 playoff wins and his devotion to Greg Robinson made him a colossal failure. He relied on veterans and didn't develop any in-house talent. Grandpa Dick can go **** himself with a rusty spoon filled with antifreeze.

i agree on the playoffs but Pioli's been far worse.

Crush 11-09-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 9101981)
i agree on the playoffs but Pioli's been far worse.

It doesn't matter. We're not collecting participation trophies. The truth is that this entire franchise is entrenched in failure. 3-12 in playoff games since Super Bowl IV. They're all losers.

FringeNC 11-09-2012 04:56 PM

I never missed watching a game when Vermeil was joke. Now, I don't give a ****. Chiefs football used to be an event. Clayton's thread on the Chiefs being the 3rd worst team of all-time -- just about every year the Chiefs were in the top 10 in the league in power rankings with Vermeil. I hate to say it -- they were just unlucky.

bricks 11-09-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9101946)

Vermeil was the last decent head coach this franchise had. I'll take him anyday of the week over the shitty head coaches this franchise has hired over the past 7 years.

At least his teams were exciting to watch. You know with Vermeil the Chiefs offensively competed with anybody in the league. And ALWAYS ranked at the top of the league. **** we could only dream of having offenses like that now.

Yeah we know his defenses couldn't stop anybody and its not like this current defense is any better now.

If he had a defenisve guru at the time maybe the Chiefs would of competed with the Pats? The only thing I didn't like about Vermeil's teams was that they were too old and that force the Chiefs to rebuild for a period of time. So I agree with you there.

Titty Meat 11-09-2012 05:02 PM

Vermiel has to be the 3rd winningest coach in Chiefs franchise history ROFL

Crush 11-09-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9102000)
Vermiel has to be the 3rd winningest coach in Chiefs franchise history ROFL

Which is ****ing pathetic.

DeezNutz 11-09-2012 05:10 PM

No one can mother**** Dick Vermeil enough. He was an absolute abomination, led this franchise to a ****ing cliff, and then walked away.

SAUTO 11-09-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9102019)
No one can mother**** Dick Vermeil enough. He was an absolute abomination, led this franchise to a ****ing cliff, and then walked away.

Then herm pushed us
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 11-09-2012 05:15 PM

Then Pioli ****ed our rotted remains.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 11-09-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9102030)
Then herm pushed us
Posted via Mobile Device

Just no question that Herm was a terrible coach. However, he and Koo-hair-ick could identify and draft talent. Hell, imagine the talent on this roster had they drafted for the last three years?

Even RAC would struggle to **** that up.

BoneKrusher 11-09-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9101986)
It doesn't matter. We're not collecting participation trophies. The truth is that this entire franchise is entrenched in failure. 3-12 in playoff games since Super Bowl IV. They're all losers.

hate to admit it but it's true.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-09-2012 05:59 PM

:shake:

SAUTO 11-09-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9102120)
Just no question that Herm was a terrible coach. However, he and Koo-hair-ick could identify and draft talent. Hell, imagine the talent on this roster had they drafted for the last three years?

Even RAC would struggle to **** that up.

agreed on the talent issue. Totally disagree about the last sentence though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni 11-09-2012 06:03 PM

Then midget Dickie

SAUTO 11-09-2012 06:07 PM

****ed blackbob in
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni 11-09-2012 06:09 PM

the back of

SAUTO 11-09-2012 06:20 PM

The pot dispensary
Posted via Mobile Device

Rams Fan 11-09-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9101483)
That would be St. Louis.

And there's nothing incorrect with your post. John Shaw wanted him gone after his first two atrocious seasons in St. Louis. Only Georgia Frontiere's intervention saved his job.

For a year.

That doesn't mean much. John Shaw was a terrible football executive.

Frontiere's belief, I believe, was to give a coach 3 seasons. She told her kids to do that with Linehan.

LiveSteam 11-09-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9101481)
I ****ing hate Dick Vermeil. He led this franchise on its path to where it is currently.

Instead of drafting Drew Brees, he traded for a fragile Trent Green that lasted only 5 years. Instead of drafting BPA, they constantly reached for players that were busts. Instead of hiring competent defensive coordinators, he hired friends.

The drafts under Vermeil are the exact reason why the Chiefs have issues up and down the roster. He ****ing wasted everyone's time, while earning $4 million a year.

**** him.

I liked Dick. Although he was a strange man for sure. Great offensive mind.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-09-2012 06:44 PM

"Try my latest wine yet Mahi?"

displacedinMN 11-09-2012 06:48 PM

Vermeil was great.
Greg Robinson was the failure-EVERYWHERE!!!!!!
Denver, Syracuse, A and M, Michigan, KC

He was the reason we lost.
I will always believe that with a different DC, we win the superbowl.

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9102203)
That doesn't mean much. John Shaw was a terrible football executive.

Frontiere's belief, I believe, was to give a coach 3 seasons. She told her kids to do that with Linehan.

LMAO

You're a ****ing moron.

Shaw was with the Rams for nearly 30 years and RAPED the Colts on the Dickerson trade. He was there when the Rams were in the 79 Super Bowl as well as the 1999 and 2002 Super Bowl.

JFC.

CLX 11-09-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

No playoff wins.

You hate Vermeil, so let that rest. Just how many playoff games have the Chiefs won in the past 40 years? I believe, I could be wrong now, but I don't think so, you can count them on one hand.

Hate Vermeil all you want, he had an offense, something we haven't seen since he left, outside of the one year that Weis was there. If they would have fired Haley and kept Weis maybe the team would have turned that corner. Haley was piss poor, Crennel is a likeable guy, but he doomed himself by making the same mistake Haley did, he thought he could be the HC and the DC at the same time. Can't happen, the team loses with a HC with split duties.

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLX (Post 9102402)
You hate Vermeil, so let that rest. Just how many playoff games have the Chiefs won in the past 40 years? I believe, I could be wrong now, but I don't think so, you can count them on one hand.

Hate Vermeil all you want, he had an offense, something we haven't seen since he left, outside of the one year that Weis was there. If they would have fired Haley and kept Weis maybe the team would have turned that corner. Haley was piss poor, Crennel is a likeable guy, but he doomed himself by making the same mistake Haley did, he thought he could be the HC and the DC at the same time. Can't happen, the team loses with a HC with split duties.

Shut the **** up, n00b

SAUTO 11-09-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLX (Post 9102402)

go fist yourself. Bitch
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief 11-09-2012 10:26 PM

I'd like to know the real reason Gunther was re-hired as the teams DC.

Its not like he was a Dick Vermiel hire and after the whole internet firing from Carl Peterson, it probably wasn't his call either. That decision right there probably kept the 2003 and 2005 Chiefs teams from being superbowl contenders. Id like to know who I owe a big old kick in the balls to.

GloryDayz 11-09-2012 10:31 PM

LOL, the diaper comments that made running backs who came within mere yards of setting records in KC, behind O-lines that were far worse than those who set KC records, will be missed. I'll never forget sitting in Arrowhead with my son while Manning and the Colts were only stopped by the clock at the end of the 1st half and ended a great season with a loss! Yeah, his tears when the ass-clown who engineered the only only-one-drive-didn't-end up-in-the-other-team-scoring game I've ever seen being fired were awesome... But he has wine to sell that's just AWESOME!

Other than that, he wasn't stupid!

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9102627)

Guilt.

Peterson felt bad that he fired Gunther but there was no way he was going to allow his best friend to coach elsewhere in 2001.

MOhillbilly 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

Dick and the king got in front of the cameras after the 03' season and told the fans that the team was fine and they weren't going to address the defense. **** them.

bobbything 11-09-2012 11:15 PM

Lo'fing L at you Vermieil haters. They made no bones about what they were about. They said "We're gonna make a 3 year run at this." They had a shot in 2003. That was their big year. Everyone knew it. If you didn't, your fault.

I don't see how anyone can criticize Vermeil in the draft. They sold out for free agency. That was their draft. They had no intention of drafting well.

This regime, it's garbage. It's horrendous. I've never seen a regime draft as poorly as Vermeil and acquire leftovers Iike Steadman.

Pioli should go down in the annals of football history as one of the worst GMs in history. Easily the worst Chiefs GM.

Phobia 11-09-2012 11:18 PM

I have shed more tears over the Chiefs just this year than DV shed his entire tenure in KC.

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9102717)
Lo'fing L at you Vermieil haters. They made no bones about what they were about. They said "We're gonna make a 3 year run at this." They had a shot in 2003. That was their big year. Everyone knew it. If you didn't, your fault.

I don't see how anyone can criticize Vermeil in the draft. They sold out for free agency. That was their draft. They had no intention of drafting well.

This regime, it's garbage. It's horrendous. I've never seen a regime draft as poorly as Vermeil and acquire leftovers Iike Steadman.

Pioli should go down in the annals of football history as one of the worst GMs in history. Easily the worst Chiefs GM.

This makes no sense.

chiefs1111 11-09-2012 11:27 PM

There are only two Vermiel! draft picks currently on this team and one of them is a punter. Screw him

Phobia 11-09-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 9102744)
There are only two Vermiel! draft picks currently on this team and one of them is a punter. Screw him

Check every NFL roster going back 8 years and see how many are left.

bobbything 11-09-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9102743)
This makes no sense.

Nonsense.

BossChief 11-09-2012 11:42 PM

Only 7 first round picks from the 2005 draft are still with their original team.

DaneMcCloud 11-09-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9102771)
Check every NFL roster going back 8 years and see how many are left.

Ben Rothlisberger, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers.

Amirite?

tk13 11-09-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9102627)

Its not like he was a Dick Vermiel hire and after the whole internet firing from Carl Peterson, it probably wasn't his call either. That decision right there probably kept the 2003 and 2005 Chiefs teams from being superbowl contenders. Id like to know who I owe a big old kick in the balls to.

It's gotta be Carl all the way down the line. Notice how Vermeil got run out of town but Gunther stayed behind and was forced on Herm too.

And then when he left, Gunther threw both of them under the bus and complained about their philosophies being different. It was what it was... Carl went all-in on a last shot at winning it all. Except when DV left, he hung around for some reason and took the fall.

bricks 11-09-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9102717)

I don't see how anyone can criticize Vermeil in the draft. They sold out for free agency. That was their draft.They had no intention of drafting well.

That was one thing I really liked about that regime. They found some real steals in FA.

Priest, Kennison, Wiegmann and even acquiring T Green in a trade was a solid move.

As much as DVs draft were poor, at least he drafted Jared Allen and DJ. I give him some props for that.

DaneMcCloud 11-10-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 9102798)
That was one thing I really liked about that regime. They found some real steals in FA.

Priest, Kennison, Wiegmann and even acquiring T Green in a trade was a solid move.

As much as DVs draft were poor, at least he drafted Jared Allen and DJ. I give him some props for that.

Steals?

LMAO

Priest Holmes was dumped by a Super Bowl team after two ACL surgeries. Kennison was dumped MID SEASON. Weigmann was a backup center.

Also, Vermeil expected Richardson to be the starter with Priest as a 3rd down back.

JFC, are you people THIS out of the loop?

Furthermore, you ****ing DUMBASS, they missed on how many defensive free agents? A dozen? How about guys like Snoop Minnis? Bigfoot? etc. and so on.

Shut the **** up.

BossChief 11-10-2012 12:28 AM

How can one argue that those guys weren't steals?

They were.

DaneMcCloud 11-10-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9102853)

They were.

Steals? They were castoffs.

And for good reason.

And even then, Vermeil didn't know what the **** to do with them until weeks into the season.

Tony Richardson starting over Holmes? LMAO

Phobia 11-10-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 9102798)

Giving a 1st round pick for a player who has no other suitors is not a solid move. You want to give him credit for a solid trade then Roaf is the one to talk about.

bobbything 11-10-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9102843)
Steals?

LMAO

Priest Holmes was dumped by a Super Bowl team after two ACL surgeries. Kennison was dumped MID SEASON. Weigmann was a backup center.

Also, Vermeil expected Richardson to be the starter with Priest as a 3rd down back.

JFC, are you people THIS out of the loop?

Furthermore, you ****ing DUMBASS, they missed on how many defensive free agents? A dozen? How about guys like Snoop Minnis? Bigfoot? etc. and so on.

Shut the **** up.

Wait...wut? Are, or are you not, saying they were steals. Cuz it sounds like they are, but you're arguing they're not...but really are.

I'm cun****ed.

Phobia 11-10-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9102855)
Steals? They were castoffs.

And for good reason.

And even then, Vermeil didn't know what the **** to do with them until weeks into the season.

Tony Richardson starting over Holmes? LMAO

I'm with you. Holmes has good numbers here. He was a patient back with good vision. He made a ton of cash because he was running behind arguably one of the best offensive lines assembled in the history of the NFL. I'd hate to see the guy behind this line. Nike wouldn't even manufacture a #31 jersey.

DaneMcCloud 11-10-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9102853)

They were.

Trading the #12 overall pick for Trent Green was not a "steal", especially given that Drew Brees was on the board.

The Chiefs under Vermeil were a "Get Rich Quick" scheme.

And it failed miserably.

tk13 11-10-2012 12:35 AM

I will say this, Pioli wishes he could do what they did with that offense. I'm not sure anyone in the last two decades has done anything close. They traded for a backup QB, got a RB off the scrapheap, traded a midround pick for a washed up LT, converted a FB to LG, signed another team's backup center, grabbed a castoff WR from a division rival, converted a midget college RB, and created one of the best offenses of all time.

DaneMcCloud 11-10-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9102860)
I'm with you. Holmes has good numbers here. He was a patient back with good vision. He made a ton of cash because he was running behind arguably one of the best offensive lines assembled in the history of the NFL. I'd hate to see the guy behind this line. Nike wouldn't even manufacture a #31 jersey.

We all used to talk about this back in the day. It's kind of funny to revisit it, 11 years later, and have people refer to it as some kind of "glory days" silliness.

And for those that don't know, Phobes is the man that coined the nickname:

TrInt.

Phobia 11-10-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9102864)
We all used to talk about this back in the day. It's kind of funny to revisit it, 11 years later, and have people refer to it as some kind of "glory days" silliness.

And for those that don't know, Phobes is the man that coined the nickname:

TrInt.

I came to appreciate Green playing within his abilities. But that first year was horrific. Green was another Holmes-like beneficiary of that offensive line, that system. Made him a rich man too. Shows that having a team and coaches who can play to your strengths and hide your weaknesses works. That staff gets credit for that, for sure. I wish we had some of that today but as good as that offense was, the defense was twice as bad. Probably even worse than today's defense.

bobbything 11-10-2012 12:46 AM

This is awesome. People actually railing on the best offense this franchise has ever seen and then quantifying the criticism with how bad those players were with OTHER teams.

I've seen it all.

We were awful on offense in the 90's with Marty, for the record..

bobbything 11-10-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9102876)
I came to appreciate Green playing within his abilities. But that first year was horrific. Green was another Holmes-like beneficiary of that offensive line, that system. Made him a rich man too. Shows that having a team and coaches who can play to your strengths and hide your weaknesses works. That staff gets credit for that, for sure. I wish we had some of that today but as good as that offense was, the defense was twice as bad. Probably even worse than today's defense.

Many players were beneficiaries of a great offensive line. The Skins of the late 80's and Cowboys of early 90's were some of the best lines ever. Aikman was basically Trent Green. Emmit Smith, Priest Holmes.