ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The GM or the Head Coach? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266831)

DaWolf 11-19-2012 10:27 PM

I think Gruden ends up in San Diego or Philly...

BlackHelicopters 11-20-2012 07:16 AM

GM first please.

KC_Lee 11-20-2012 07:23 AM

Who was hired first in Atlanta? The HC Smith or the GM Dimitrioff (sp?)?

I'd follow that model.

htismaqe 11-20-2012 07:23 AM

Petro has been saying this for about a week, too.

Go get your HC FIRST. Then have him bring in a GM. He says the NFL is changing, head coaches are too important, and if you look at teams like Green Bay, the relationship is more functional when the GM doesn't have total control.

htismaqe 11-20-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9135359)
Sadly this is accurate. He needs to hire a retread with a track record. Gruden, Cowher, Reid some one that can inspire hope and excitement to the mentally challenged Debs of the world.

I'd much rather go with a Haley type young gun head coach we can break-in the way we want and can grow into the next best thing.

Sadly?

What this team REALLY needs is a guy that has yet to win a Super Bowl but has been a head coach elsewhere.

Rausch 11-20-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9135742)
Sadly?

What this team REALLY needs is a guy that has yet to win a Super Bowl but has been a head coach elsewhere.

Well, that makes him a retread to CP.

Completely unacceptable...

htismaqe 11-20-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9135745)
Well, that makes him a retread to CP.

Completely unacceptable...

To me, "retread" is somebody who has coached here before.

Marty is a "retread". Cowher is a "retread".

Andy Reid is not a retread. I'm not sure I like him as a HC (seems to have Martz-esque troubles with a balanced offense at times, moving an offensive line coach to DC seems monumentally stupid) but he fits the bill - 2nd job, no ring.

Rausch 11-20-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9135750)
To me, "retread" is somebody who has coached here before.

Marty is a "retread". Cowher is a "retread".

Andy Reid is not a retread. I'm not sure I like him as a HC (seems to have Martz-esque troubles with a balanced offense at times, moving an offensive line coach to DC seems monumentally stupid) but he fits the bill - 2nd job, no ring.

To me a retread is a guy who moves from place to place never really accomplishing $3it.

Parcells was not a retread. He won everywhere he went.

Cowher = 1 HC job.
Reid = 1 HC job.
Gruden = built one team that went to an AFCC game and the SB the next year. Took a team his first year to the SB and DESTROYED his old team.

The idea that a team doesn't need a motivator as HC is the dumbest thing I keep hearing on here. I don't care where you work a positive mindset combined with competent execution of your goals is why any business works...

htismaqe 11-20-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9135758)
To me a retread is a guy who moves from place to place never really accomplishing $3it.

Parcells was not a retread. He won everywhere he went.

Cowher = 1 HC job.
Reid = 1 HC job.
Gruden = built one team that went to an AFCC game and the SB the next year. Took a team his first year to the SB and DESTROYED his old team.

The idea that a team doesn't need a motivator as HC is the dumbest thing I keep hearing on here. I don't care where you work a positive mindset combined with competent execution of your goals is why any business works...

The difference with Cowher and Gruden is that they've already won a ring. I don't know necessarily why it's the case, but it is a fact that nobody has ever won one with 2 different teams.

I'm not a fan of trying to defy history...

Rausch 11-20-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9135765)

I'm not a fan of trying to defy history...

If we don't starting learning how to defy history we'll never have a franchise QB and will only win one more playoff game over the next 40 years.

Defying history is EXACTLY what we're looking for...

htismaqe 11-20-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9135774)
If we don't starting learning how to defy history we'll never have a franchise QB and will only win one more playoff game over the next 40 years.

Defying history is EXACTLY what we're looking for...

This team not drafting a QB, or winning a playoff game in 20 years, isn't the same. Since 1983, we've had only 2 owners and 3 GMs. That's too small a sample size to call it a "trend".

On the other hand, you can take the history of EVERY team and EVERY coach over the course of nearly a century - that's a sample size in the thousands - and not find a single coach that has won a championship with 2 different teams.

They're not even close to the same idea. What you want is not defying history, it's simply changing behavior.

Rausch 11-20-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9135786)
This team not drafting a QB, or winning a playoff game in 20 years, isn't the same.

I would argue it is.

Bad teams with franchise QB's have knocked us out of the playoffs every year going back to 94...

Quote:

Since 1983, we've had only 2 owners and 3 GMs. That's too small a sample size to call it a "trend".

You can't be ****ing serious.

30 years is too small a sample size?...

Quote:

On the other hand, you can take the history of EVERY team and EVERY coach over the course of nearly a century - that's a sample size in the thousands - and not find a single coach that has won a championship with 2 different teams.

Parcells Won a SB.
Won an AFCC game (Patriots.) That's two champ games in two different conferences.
Then took the Jets to the AFCC game.

At this hour I'm not sure about the chronological order there but you get the point...

htismaqe 11-20-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9135806)
I would argue it is.

Bad teams with franchise QB's have knocked us out of the playoffs every year going back to 94...

Yep. THAT is the historical trend. History suggests we should draft a franchise QB if we want to win in the playoffs.

Quote:

You can't be ****ing serious.

30 years is too small a sample size?...

30 years with ONE owner. That's not a historical trend, that's a behavioral issue.

Quote:

Parcells Won a SB.
Won an AFCC game (Patriots.) That's two champ games in two different conferences.
Then took the Jets to the AFCC game.

At this hour I'm not sure about the chronological order there but you get the point...

And I'm sure Patriot and Jets fans were perfectly happy with Parcells NOT winning a Super Bowl there. Our goal isn't to make it to an AFC Championship game. Hell, Marty did that. Let's bring him back.

Rausch 11-20-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9135819)
30 years with ONE owner. That's not a historical trend, that's a behavioral issue.

Two.

And we don't get to draft or sign a new one of those...

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9135819)
And I'm sure Patriot and Jets fans were perfectly happy with Parcells NOT winning a Super Bowl there. Our goal isn't to make it to an AFC Championship game. Hell, Marty did that. Let's bring him back.

I would JIMP if we made an AFCC game at this point.

This team is a joke on the level of the Lions, Browns, or Seahawks.

We need a HC with lofty goals and practical applications...

htismaqe 11-20-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9135822)
Two.

And we don't get to draft or sign a new one of those...

The current owner learned everything he knows about football from the former owner. There's no clean break in philosophy there - at least not yet.

The point is that what we've done in the past is not a historical trend. There aren't enough data points. If you want to discuss what we've done in relativity to the rest of the league, when it comes to drafting and developing QBs, then we can talk about historical trends. This team constitutes one large, 30-year data point in that analysis and it's not flattering for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9135822)
I would JIMP if we made an AFCC game at this point.

This team is a joke on the level of the Lions, Browns, or Seahawks.

We need a HC with lofty goals and practical applications...

In same ways I understand that mindset and that's fine for the fans. However, in the end, the goal is to win it all.