ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith to ask for release (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269401)

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 01-28-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9357870)
If the Niners have him under contract, then why the hell would they cut him instead of trading him? That'd be pretty dumb.

Indy cut Manning, but that was because he was due a $28MM roster bonus and they didn't want to pay it.

Doubt they get much for him, but anything is something

BossChief 01-28-2013 09:39 AM

They just signed him to a fair contract last year. I wouldn't let him out of it unless a team wants to trade for him.

Deberg_1990 01-28-2013 09:42 AM

Smith isnt as bad as alot of people think. Under good leadership and coaching, he could help stablize a sinking ship. Hes already proven that. I just dont see him as any sort of long term solution.

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 09:44 AM

The thing is the 49ers won't just keep him on roster because he just costs to much money to have as a back-up. Teams know the 49ers won't get much for him in a trade as everyone will just wait things out till they have to release him for finical reasons. Smith knows that and it is the reason he is asking for the release now to speed up the process.

The Chiefs or whomever that would get Smith isn't getting him as a long term solution anyways.

Ugly Duck 01-28-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

If the Niners have him under contract, then why the hell would they cut him instead of trading him? That'd be pretty dumb.

Mike Florio, NBC Sports: "It’s widely believed that the 49ers will trade quarterback Alex Smith. The former starter is due to earn $8.5 million in 2013, with $1 million guaranteed now and the balance guaranteed as of April 1. It makes him a luxury that the team can’t afford.

But the player prefers not to afford the 49ers a chance to trade him. Instead, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Smith is expected to seek his release before the start of free agency.

It’s a calculated risk for Smith. On one hand, he’s be able to join any team he wants. On the other hand, he’d be losing the $8.5 million that he’d earn this year if his contract is traded.

Of course, that contract could make it harder to trade him. And the 49ers will have plenty of time to explore their options for trading Smith before the new league year (and the free-agency period) begins.

Unless they can send him to a team for which he really wants to play, the fair move would be to let him go. He has been a loyal member of the organization since he was the first pick in the 2005 draft, and he caused no trouble when he was benched during a very good season after suffering a concussion."

RyFo18 01-28-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Indy cut Manning, but that was because he was due a $28MM roster bonus and they didn't want to pay it.

He's only on the hook for $1M guaranteed but his 2013 contract is $7.5M plus that $1M roster bonus that is guaranteed. That's a lot to pay for a backup QB, and exactly the reason they would cut him.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 09:51 AM

hey, alex, you just lost your job to a QBOTF, want to come babysit ours for a year and then lose your job again?

Scorp 01-28-2013 09:53 AM

Dear Alex, I hereby release you from consideration of being a Kansas City Chiefs Quarterback prospect. You are welcome.

Fat Elvis 01-28-2013 09:54 AM

People who don't want him as a FA are dumbasses. Seriously. I want us to draft a QB (Smith) with the #1 pick. When we do that, I want us to have some type of backup QB should Geno either get hurt or completely suck. The last thing I want is Cassel, Quinn and/or Stanzi waiting in the wings. Smith would be a quality backup QB, especially in a WCO style offense.

RealSNR 01-28-2013 09:54 AM

Does Jim Harbaugh come as part of a package deal?

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9357923)
He's only on the hook for $1M guaranteed but his 2013 contract is $7.5M plus that $1M roster bonus that is guaranteed. That's a lot to pay for a backup QB, and exactly the reason they would cut him.

Could he not waive that 1m to help force the release?

And Jaguars will take him. Teddy Bridgewater will learn behind him for a year in two years.

tooge 01-28-2013 09:56 AM

If they release him (doubtful), I'd take him but wouldn't promise him the starting role. I'd still draft Geno Smith. I'd be happy with Geno, Alex, and Either Stanzi or Trick shot as my third.

MeatRock 01-28-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9357932)
People who don't want him as a FA are dumbasses. Seriously. I want us to draft a QB (Smith) with the #1 pick. When we do that, I want us to have some type of backup QB should Geno either get hurt or completely suck. The last thing I want is Cassel, Quinn and/or Stanzi waiting in the wings. Smith would be a quality backup QB, especially in a WCO style offense.

You think Smith is asking for his release to go be a backup somewhere else? LMAO

RealSNR 01-28-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9357932)

Smith wants out of his current (generous) deal because he's a backup all so he can sign with a different team and be a backup?

Hey, nobody said the guy was smart.

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 09:56 AM

At this moment he would probably take any starting job no matter the future plans. He WILL be starting for someone next season and it could be KC!