ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith to ask for release (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269401)

Coogs 01-28-2013 09:26 AM

Alex Smith to ask for release

http://tracking.si.com/2013/01/28/al...?sct=obnetwork

If no draft picks are involved, does that change your opinion on bringing him in?

Draft pick, Smith, Stanzi(?) as your QB's in camp.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 09:28 AM

DO NOT WANT

Amnorix 01-28-2013 09:28 AM

If the Niners have him under contract, then why the hell would they cut him instead of trading him? That'd be pretty dumb.

Indy cut Manning, but that was because he was due a $28MM roster bonus and they didn't want to pay it.

MeatRock 01-28-2013 09:31 AM

Alex Smith may ask, but he won't get.

Coogs 01-28-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9357870)
If the Niners have him under contract, then why the hell would they cut him instead of trading him? That'd be pretty dumb.

Indy cut Manning, but that was because he was due a $28MM roster bonus and they didn't want to pay it.

Don't know. Just saw the article. Many here are opposed to bringing him in... as evidinced by the first reply. Many of those opposed use the giving up draft picks as the reason.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 09:32 AM

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/u...antAlBundy.jpg

KC_Lee 01-28-2013 09:32 AM

NO!!!!

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 09:33 AM

There is a point that if they hold onto him they have to pay him a lot more of his contract. Teams know the 49ers won't allow that to happen and will release him at that point... Making him a FA.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 09:33 AM

I don't really want him.

But I would be WAY more mad if we trade for him than if we sign him as a free agent.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 01-28-2013 09:35 AM

My friends keep asking me about Alex Smith like he's some candidate to be a chief next year. **** Alex Smith. Why do people like Alex Smith? **** him a million times. He would piss me off

Rasputin 01-28-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9357877)
Don't know. Just saw the article. Many here are opposed to bringing him in... as evidinced by the first reply. Many of those opposed use the giving up draft picks as the reason.

Do not want period. He would be just another retread rehash quarterback that we have seen the past 30 years. **** him. We wouldn't be drafting a QB #1 if we brought him here.

**** Alex Smith

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 09:36 AM

It's coming people......

mnchiefsguy 01-28-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9357868)
DO NOT WANT

QFT

TEX 01-28-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9357882)
I don't really want him.

But I would be WAY more mad if we trade for him than if we sign him as a free agent.

This.

Coogs 01-28-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9357882)
I don't really want him.

I'm not cool with the draft picks for Smith either. As a FA, I have a little more interest.

He is well versed in the WCO, and could at the very least provide some quality competition to which ever QB we draft in April. Competition at the QB position, as we all know, can not be a bad thing.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 01-28-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Doubt they get much for him, but anything is something

BossChief 01-28-2013 09:39 AM

They just signed him to a fair contract last year. I wouldn't let him out of it unless a team wants to trade for him.

Deberg_1990 01-28-2013 09:42 AM

Smith isnt as bad as alot of people think. Under good leadership and coaching, he could help stablize a sinking ship. Hes already proven that. I just dont see him as any sort of long term solution.

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 09:44 AM

The thing is the 49ers won't just keep him on roster because he just costs to much money to have as a back-up. Teams know the 49ers won't get much for him in a trade as everyone will just wait things out till they have to release him for finical reasons. Smith knows that and it is the reason he is asking for the release now to speed up the process.

The Chiefs or whomever that would get Smith isn't getting him as a long term solution anyways.

Ugly Duck 01-28-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Mike Florio, NBC Sports: "It’s widely believed that the 49ers will trade quarterback Alex Smith. The former starter is due to earn $8.5 million in 2013, with $1 million guaranteed now and the balance guaranteed as of April 1. It makes him a luxury that the team can’t afford.

But the player prefers not to afford the 49ers a chance to trade him. Instead, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Smith is expected to seek his release before the start of free agency.

It’s a calculated risk for Smith. On one hand, he’s be able to join any team he wants. On the other hand, he’d be losing the $8.5 million that he’d earn this year if his contract is traded.

Of course, that contract could make it harder to trade him. And the 49ers will have plenty of time to explore their options for trading Smith before the new league year (and the free-agency period) begins.

Unless they can send him to a team for which he really wants to play, the fair move would be to let him go. He has been a loyal member of the organization since he was the first pick in the 2005 draft, and he caused no trouble when he was benched during a very good season after suffering a concussion."

RyFo18 01-28-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

He's only on the hook for $1M guaranteed but his 2013 contract is $7.5M plus that $1M roster bonus that is guaranteed. That's a lot to pay for a backup QB, and exactly the reason they would cut him.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 09:51 AM

hey, alex, you just lost your job to a QBOTF, want to come babysit ours for a year and then lose your job again?

Scorp 01-28-2013 09:53 AM

Dear Alex, I hereby release you from consideration of being a Kansas City Chiefs Quarterback prospect. You are welcome.

Fat Elvis 01-28-2013 09:54 AM

People who don't want him as a FA are dumbasses. Seriously. I want us to draft a QB (Smith) with the #1 pick. When we do that, I want us to have some type of backup QB should Geno either get hurt or completely suck. The last thing I want is Cassel, Quinn and/or Stanzi waiting in the wings. Smith would be a quality backup QB, especially in a WCO style offense.

RealSNR 01-28-2013 09:54 AM

Does Jim Harbaugh come as part of a package deal?

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9357923)
He's only on the hook for $1M guaranteed but his 2013 contract is $7.5M plus that $1M roster bonus that is guaranteed. That's a lot to pay for a backup QB, and exactly the reason they would cut him.

Could he not waive that 1m to help force the release?

And Jaguars will take him. Teddy Bridgewater will learn behind him for a year in two years.

tooge 01-28-2013 09:56 AM

If they release him (doubtful), I'd take him but wouldn't promise him the starting role. I'd still draft Geno Smith. I'd be happy with Geno, Alex, and Either Stanzi or Trick shot as my third.

MeatRock 01-28-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9357932)
People who don't want him as a FA are dumbasses. Seriously. I want us to draft a QB (Smith) with the #1 pick. When we do that, I want us to have some type of backup QB should Geno either get hurt or completely suck. The last thing I want is Cassel, Quinn and/or Stanzi waiting in the wings. Smith would be a quality backup QB, especially in a WCO style offense.

You think Smith is asking for his release to go be a backup somewhere else? LMAO

RealSNR 01-28-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9357932)

Smith wants out of his current (generous) deal because he's a backup all so he can sign with a different team and be a backup?

Hey, nobody said the guy was smart.

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 09:56 AM

At this moment he would probably take any starting job no matter the future plans. He WILL be starting for someone next season and it could be KC!

Mr. Kotter 01-28-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9357893)
I'm not cool with the draft picks for Smith either. As a FA, I have a little more interest.

He is well versed in the WCO, and could at the very least provide some quality competition to which ever QB we draft in April. Competition at the QB position, as we all know, can not be a bad thing.

THIS

kaplin42 01-28-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9357864)

If no draft picks are involved, does that change your opinion on bringing him in?

No it doesn't. Fail QB is fail QB, doesn't matter how many draft picks you do or don't pay for him, he will still suck and is definitely not the answer.

Coogs 01-28-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9357938)
If they release him (doubtful), I'd take him but wouldn't promise him the starting role. I'd still draft Geno Smith. I'd be happy with Geno, Alex, and Either Stanzi or Trick shot as my third.

That's something along the lines I would be thinking.

CaliforniaChief 01-28-2013 10:03 AM

Sure he wants to be a starter. But there's also got to be some hurt over the way he was unceremoniously dumped as the starter due to injury. It was embarrassing for him no doubt.

With that said, I'd absolutely be fine with the following plan:

1. Do not re-sign Quinn.
2. Release Cassel.
3. Sign Alex Smith as a FA (I would never give up picks for him.)
4. Draft Geno Smith.

Next year, let there be a true competition for the starting spot. Knowing that we've got our QBOTF on the roster and learning under Reid/Pederson would actually allow me to be ok with Alex Smith as a 1 year "bridge" type starter.

AndChiefs 01-28-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9357952)
Sure he wants to be a starter. But there's also got to be some hurt over the way he was unceremoniously dumped as the starter due to injury. It was embarrassing for him no doubt.

1. Do not re-sign Quinn.
2. Release Cassel.
4. Draft Geno Smith.

Next year, let there be a true competition for the starting spot. Knowing that we've got our QBOTF on the roster and learning under Reid/Pederson would actually allow me to be ok with Alex Smith as a 1 year "bridge" type starter.

I agree. If Smith (or whatever QB we draft) needs a year or two to develop then I'd be okay with it. But have a true competition (ala Wilson in Seattle). If Geno wins it you start him with no regard to Alex's feelings.

Coogs 01-28-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

1. Do not re-sign Quinn.
2. Release Cassel.
4. Draft Geno Smith.

Absolutely!

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:06 AM

Alex Smith will 100% be released. Especially if he agrees to waive his 1m guaranteed. That would free up 7.5 million for the 49ers.

Coogs 01-28-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 9357956)
I agree. If Smith (or whatever QB we draft) needs a year or two to develop then I'd be okay with it. But have a true competition (ala Wilson in Seattle). If Geno wins it you start him with no regard to Alex's feelings.

And this too!

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

1. Do not re-sign Quinn.
2. Release Cassel.
4. Draft Geno Smith.

...Why would he sign with a team who just drafted a QB #1 overall if he wants to start?

CaliforniaChief 01-28-2013 10:07 AM

I would imagine the following teams are in the market for a starting QB:

Arizona
Kansas City
Buffalo
Jacksonville
Philadelphia (Maybe)
Cleveland (Maybe) (These two with new administrations could be looking.)

Not a big market for Smith to try to be a starter. We do have some leverage.

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 10:09 AM

I would be fine with that set-up. Regardless we need to draft a QB and get the best possible FA QB. If the new drafted QB needs time, we will have a solid option for the time being as a quality stop gap (2-3 years). Alex Smith is a better QB than Matt Cassel and at this moment is all that matters.

Coogs 01-28-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9357963)
I would imagine the following teams are in the market for a starting QB:

Arizona
Kansas City
Buffalo
Jacksonville
Philadelphia (Maybe)
Cleveland (Maybe) (These two with new administrations could be looking.)

Not a big market for Smith to try to be a starter. We do have some leverage.

That probably about the order on where I would expect him to land as well. If he is released, I expect Arizona to be his top choice. But I really think it would not be a bad idea for KC to make a play for him either.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:10 AM

I repeat...

Why would Alex Smith willingly agree to sign with a team who just took a QB #1 overall, if he wants to start?

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 10:12 AM

Why I don't think we will take a QB at #1 unless we felt that QB could start day one effectively.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9357907)
Smith isnt as bad as alot of people think. Under good leadership and coaching, he could help stablize a sinking ship. Hes already proven that. I just dont see him as any sort of long term solution.

Absolutely.

I like Geno Smith as much or more than anyone on here, but people are blasting Alex to boost Geno and they're being unfair.

Sure, Harbaugh made Smith better than he is. But at the same time, why does nobody consider the possibility that Singletary made him worse (when he wasn't really that awful). Singletary was the most overmatched head coach in the league and with that backdrop, Smith put up passer ratings in the low 80s once he got his feet under him.

Why would it be unfair to say that Alex Smith is probably somewhere in the middle of his Harbaugh performance and his Singletary performance? If so, that makes him a QB rating of about 88 and a YPA of about 7.2.

And if you assume that he's actually improved with good coaching and experience, as is generally the case, you can make an argument that he's probably closer to the 2011 version of him than the 2010 version and adjust those up just a little bit more.

Smith's an average NFL quarterback with a ton of experience, a decent track record and a little bit of upside (afterall, what if everything Harbaugh taught him has stuck; and Reid is no slouch with QBs himself).

I'd rather have Geno and will be disappointed if we don't go that route, but this team could make the playoffs with Alex Smith at the helm, IMO. He's not the steaming pile of shit that so many make him out to be.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9357971)
Why I don't think we will take a QB at #1 unless we felt that QB could start day one effectively.

California said to sign him and draft Geno Smith #1 overall.

Alex Smith would have to be a complete moron to do that.

CaliforniaChief 01-28-2013 10:13 AM

For those who don't want to make a FA play for Alex Smith, I'd be curious to see who you'd like to bring in for QB depth.

Michael Vick
Matt Hasselbeck
Matt Flynn
Kevin Kolb
Jason Campbell
Bruce Gradkowski
AJ Feeley
Matt Moore

I could see Matt Moore or Jason Campbell, but Alex Smith looks pretty attractive on that list.

CaliforniaChief 01-28-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9357974)

As I already said...

1. There's probably more to it than Smith just not wanting to be a backup. SF experience was embarrassing.
2. He could be a bridge-type one-year starter in KC.
3. The market for starting QB's in terms of FA's isn't that strong.

In addition:
1. Reid's offense could be a nice fit for Smith.
2. Chiefs have the money and cap space to do it.

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 10:16 AM

I guess that is where I fall in line. I don't see Alex Smith as a steaming pile if sh*t like Matt Cassel. Do I think he is a really good QB? No, but I see him as quality and someone that could help KC for 2-3 years until the drafted QB is completely ready. Much like the same situation Dorsey and Green Bay did with Rodgers.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 10:17 AM

Alex Smith does not fit the PASSING QB & offensive role that Andy Reid is looking for. Same boat with Alex Smith as in Matt Cassel 2010. Coach Reid wants to pass the ball not just hand off to the running backs. Alex Smith is a game manager not a game winner.

Do not want not even as a back up, he doesn't want to be a back up. Let young QBs duke it out with one being Geno Smith and a later round QB.

RyFo18 01-28-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9357961)
...Why would he sign with a team who just drafted a QB #1 overall if he wants to start?

Because Free Agency is before the draft?

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9357983)
Because Free Agency is before the draft?

Are the Chiefs going to be the first team in history to keep their #1 pick a secret?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9357980)
As I already said...

1. There's probably more to it than Smith just not wanting to be a backup. SF experience was embarrassing.
2. He could be a bridge-type one-year starter in KC.
3. The market for starting QB's in terms of FA's isn't that strong.

In addition:
1. Reid's offense could be a nice fit for Smith.
2. Chiefs have the money and cap space to do it.

If you honestly think Alex Smith wants to go from a backup QB collecting Super Bowl rings, to a backup in Kansas City, I offer you this ketchup popsicle and pair of white gloves.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9357981)
I guess that is where I fall in line. I don't see Alex Smith as a steaming pile if sh*t like Matt Cassel. Do I think he is a really good QB? No, but I see him as quality and someone that could help KC for 2-3 years until the drafted QB is completely ready.

Why should the draftee QB have to sit for 2-3 years? Last years class has proved a QB does not have to sit and "ride the pine". In this era of NFL football rookie QBs can come out and make a big impact to accellerate a team into turning it around. I'd hate to see #1 draft pick QB sit behind a retread QB that isn't going take us to the promise land.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9357982)
Alex Smith does not fit the PASSING QB & offensive role that Andy Reid is looking for. Same boat with Alex Smith as in Matt Cassel 2010. Coach Reid wants to pass the ball not just hand off to the running backs. Alex Smith is a game manager not a game winner.

Do not want not even as a back up, he doesn't want to be a back up. Let young QBs duke it out with one being Geno Smith and a later round QB.

You keep saying that - it doesn't make it any more accurate.

He's not a downfield passer, true. But look at his skill-set and explain to me why he couldn't be an efficient volume passer in a west-coast set. He's accurate, he's smart with the ball and he's mobile. He could easily be a guy that throws the ball 30+ times a game but does so in a manner where he hits his guys in the intermediate areas to create space for them to operate.

No matter what QB he brings in, Reid doesn't have the personnel to run the offense he ran the last couple of years in Philly. He doesn't have the WRs to run it.

What he'll have to do is use a more conventional WCO where he uses the intermediate zones to create space for guys to rack up RAC yards. He'll have to use the short passing game to set up the run and deep passes off double moves.

Smith could do that. You keep saying he shouldn't be a volume passer because he hasn't been asked to be - but what do you see in the actual player that says he can't be?

He has the skills to do the job.

RyFo18 01-28-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9357984)
Are the Chiefs going to be the first team in history to keep their #1 pick a secret?

I'd say there is about a 95% chance of this happening, yes.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:25 AM

Smith hasn't exactly had some high flying receivers in his career. Crabtree is just now starting to not suck like a diva.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9357995)
I'd say there is about a 95% chance of this happening, yes.

I am sure Alex Smith and his Agent will take the Kansas City Chiefs on faith then. lol

Rasputin 01-28-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9357993)
You keep saying that - it doesn't make it any more accurate.

He's not a downfield passer, true. But look at his skill-set and explain to me why he couldn't be an efficient volume passer in a west-coast set. He's accurate, he's smart with the ball and he's mobile. He could easily be a guy that throws the ball 30+ times a game but does so in a manner where he hits his guys in the intermediate areas to create space for them to operate.

No matter what QB he brings in, Reid doesn't have the personnel to run the offense he ran the last couple of years in Philly. He doesn't have the WRs to run it.

What he'll have to do is use a more conventional WCO where he uses the intermediate zones to create space for guys to rack up RAC yards. He'll have to use the short passing game to set up the run and deep passes off double moves.

Smith could do that. You keep saying he shouldn't be a volume passer because he hasn't been asked to be - but what do you see in the actual player that says he can't be?

He has the skills to do the job.

I have no NO desire to see Alex Smith in a Chief uniform none. Same as it ever was. His age and he is a retread. I don't think he is the kind of QB you would ask to pass the ball 40+ times like Andy Reid is wanting to ask the QB to do. He relies on the run game and playaction. I don't see Alex Smith having the arm strength and have to rely on his arm that many times a game each and every week.

RyFo18 01-28-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9357997)
I am sure Alex Smith and his Agent will take the Kansas City Chiefs on faith then. lol

I'm not saying that. I don't think there is really a situation that stands out where Alex Smith would walk in and not be asked to compete for a starting job though. Let's be realistic about Alex Smith and the kind of QB he is.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9358002)
I'm not saying that. I don't think there is really a situation that stands out where Alex Smith would walk in and not be asked to compete for a starting job though. Let's be realistic about Alex Smith and the kind of QB he is.

So if he had to choose between a team not drafting a QB in the first round and horrible QBs currently, and the chiefs who might be taking Geno Smith #1 overall, you think he would go with the Chiefs?

You are delusional lol.

FlaChief58 01-28-2013 10:31 AM

He'll be looking for a starting job which means if KC brings him in they will not draft a qb in the first 2 rounds.

Pass

007 01-28-2013 10:32 AM

If released and we don't offer him too much money and only give him a 1-2 year contract then OK. No way I want to trade for him though.

For the record, I really don't want him at all, but if Mr. Andy likes him as a VERY short stop gap then OK.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9358009)
He'll be looking for a starting job which means if KC brings him in they will not draft a qb in the first 2 rounds.

Pass

Finally, someone using their brain.

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 10:34 AM

DJ you bring up a good point. Coach Reid will fit his offense to fit his personnel present. This isn't the Eagles roster. How the roster is situated currently, it fits a WCO QB like Alex Smith. Maybe the newly drafted QB fits the Philly mold more so but until we add the WR pieces to fit, it won't make much of a difference who we have at QB.

There isn't a big difference between a 2nd and 3rd round QB IMO. In this draft class especially.

RyFo18 01-28-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9358007)
So if he had to choose between a team not drafting a QB in the first round and horrible QBs currently, and the chiefs who might be taking Geno Smith #1 overall, you think he would go with the Chiefs?

You are delusional lol.

You are putting words in my mouth. What is the guarantee that any of the QB needy teams don't draft a QB in the first round.

All I'm saying is that anyway you swing it, Smith is going to have to compete for a job and will have to live w/ the very real possibility that a QB needy team that takes him in still drafts a QB. The Chiefs aren't alone here. If you think that any of the first 9 teams (other than the Lions) wouldn't take a QB in the first round, you are the delusional one my friend. Here is the list of those 8 teams. Smith is going to have no guarantees, regardless of where he ends up.

Now, yes, maybe he says "KC could draft Geno #1" and says no to them. But again, any of Chiefs, Jags, Raiders, Eagles, Browns, Cardinals, Bills, or Jets could also draft Geno (all pick in the top 10). In all likelihood though, he's going to take the team that gives him the most money (somewhat symbolic of their commitment to him) and go in and compete.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9358001)
I have no NO desire to see Alex Smith in a Chief uniform none. Same as it ever was. His age and he is a retread. I don't think he is the kind of QB you would ask to pass the ball 40+ times like Andy Reid is wanting to ask the QB to do. He relies on the run game and playaction. I don't see Alex Smith having the arm strength and have to rely on his arm that many times a game each and every week.

Having no desire to see him in KC and making shit up to support that viewpoint are two separate creatures.

Alex Smith and Kevin Kolb are two very very similar QBs and Reid had no problem asking Kolb to throw the football. Moreover, I think Smith is a smarter, more accurate passer than Kolb ever was. Kolb was held back by his tendency to be a gunslinger without the physical skills to pull it off; Smith is much smarter than that.

There are ample reasons to be against Alex Smith as a Chief. We have an unprecedented opportunity to aggressively pursue a franchise-altering QB and Alex Smith clearly has a limited ceiling. And Smith is going to be 29 next season and likely won't come terribly cheap in FA.

But to argue that Reid can't make a successful QB out of Alex Smith because Smith's never been asked to be a mad bomber is nuts. There's no reason that Reid couldn't use Smith like he used Kolb and get a much better version of him for his efforts.

Mr. Kotter 01-28-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9357969)
I repeat...

Why would Alex Smith willingly agree to sign with a team who just took a QB #1 overall, if he wants to start?

That is an excellent point. OTOH, he may not have much choice.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9358030)
You are putting words in my mouth. What is the guarantee that any of the QB needy teams don't draft a QB in the first round.

All I'm saying is that anyway you swing it, Smith is going to have to compete for a job and will have to live w/ the very real possibility that a QB needy team that takes him in still drafts a QB. The Chiefs aren't alone here. If you think that any of the first 9 teams (other than the Lions) wouldn't take a QB in the first round, you are the delusional one my friend. Here is the list of those 8 teams. Smith is going to have no guarantees, regardless of where he ends up.

Now, yes, maybe he says "KC could draft Geno #1" and says no to them. But again, any of Chiefs, Jags, Raiders, Eagles, Browns, Cardinals, Bills, or Jets could also draft Geno (all pick in the top 10). In all likelihood though, he's going to take the team that gives him the most money (somewhat symbolic of their commitment to him) and go in and compete.

I think you are overrating Blaine Gabbert if you seriously think he will have to "Compete".

Unless the competition is "Don't close your eyes on a blitz".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 9358042)
That is an excellent point. OTOH, he may not have much choice.

There will be several teams in need of a QB that won't be drafting one in the first round. My avatar is a good hint at one.

Strongside 01-28-2013 10:43 AM

Draft Geno, Sign Smith, Sign Vick. Up our chances. lol.

Fat Elvis 01-28-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9357974)

Not if he thinks he could beat out GSmith as the #1 QB. Reid's offense is perfect for ASmith's style of play (it fits GSmiths style as well). I think people forget that ASmith had a 70.2 completion percentage last year with a 13/5 TD/INT ratio-- in the NFL. That is pretty good, folks.

Geno has yet to take a snap in the NFL. KC is ASmith's best chance to make a deep run in the playoffs anytime in the near future.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9358034)
Having no desire to see him in KC and making shit up to support that viewpoint are two separate creatures.

Alex Smith and Kevin Kolb are two very very similar QBs and Reid had no problem asking Kolb to throw the football. Moreover, I think Smith is a smarter, more accurate passer than Kolb ever was. Kolb was held back by his tendency to be a gunslinger without the physical skills to pull it off; Smith is much smarter than that.

There are ample reasons to be against Alex Smith as a Chief. We have an unprecedented opportunity to aggressively pursue a franchise-altering QB and Alex Smith clearly has a limited ceiling. And Smith is going to be 29 next season and likely won't come terribly cheap in FA.

But to argue that Reid can't make a successful QB out of Alex Smith because Smith's never been asked to be a mad bomber is nuts. There's no reason that Reid couldn't use Smith like he used Kolb and get a much better version of him for his efforts.

So Alex Smith at age 29 is suppose to reinvent himself as a passing QB with passing in a game more than 40 times? He is expected to be successeful that way with out relying on the run game first? Have you seen his frame of body? He starts getting sacked he wont last long.

Fat Elvis 01-28-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9358022)
DJ you bring up a good point. Coach Reid will fit his offense to fit his personnel present. This isn't the Eagles roster. How the roster is situated currently, it fits a WCO QB like Alex Smith. Maybe the newly drafted QB fits the Philly mold more so but until we add the WR pieces to fit, it won't make much of a difference who we have at QB.

There isn't a big difference between a 2nd and 3rd 7th round QB IMO. In this draft class especially.

FYP

Amnorix 01-28-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9357923)

I'm not saying he'll be there in 2013. I think there's ZERO chance of that.

But the point is he'll be TRADED, not cut.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9358060)
Not if he thinks he could beat out GSmith as the #1 QB. Reid's offense is perfect for ASmith's style of play (it fits GSmiths style as well). I think people forget that ASmith had a 70.2 completion percentage last year with a 13/5 TD/INT ratio-- in the NFL. That is pretty good, folks.

Geno has yet to take a snap in the NFL. KC is ASmith's best chance to make a deep run in the playoffs anytime in the near future.

Why would he even take the chance going against the #1 draft pick? He wants released to start.

ChiefMojo 01-28-2013 10:50 AM

Fat Elvis in this draft class that is actually probably true when dealing with these QB's but none the less there is no difference in a 2nd/3rd round QB's.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9358066)
So Alex Smith at age 29 is suppose to reinvent himself as a passing QB with passing in a game more than 40 times? He is expected to be successeful that way with out relying on the run game first? Have you seen his frame of body? He starts getting sacked he wont last long.

How's he reinventing anything?

He's going to be the same QB he's always been, he's just going to be asked to do it more often.

Again - being asked to do the same thing slightly more often isn't being asked to do an entirely different thing. He's not suddenly going to be asked to be Peyton Manning out there, lining up the O and running a no-huddle. He's also not going to be asked to be Eli Manning, bombing balls downfield to Cruz and Nicks. He's going to be asked to run a WCO and hit WRs and RBs in space to give them room to make plays.

And like I said, Reid's teams don't utilize a true play-action set, but they do use the short passing game to create a similar impact. You act like play-fakes are like hitting a turbo button in Madden - no, they just get the LBs to freeze a little bit or safeties to bite - well that can be done by having Charles run out into the flat or by having Smith look to his slot WR as a first 'fauxption' before going to his true first read.

Reid has misdirection in his offenses, they're just slightly different. Of those 40 passes you're worried about, 10 of them will be off designed quick passes to the first read and/or RB - little stuff that is little more than a handoff in the grand scheme of things.

You're vastly overstating what changes Smith would have to make to his game and you're also underestimating what kind of tweaks Reid will have to make to his to fit the present personnel.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9358090)

He's going to be the same QB he's always been, he's just going to be asked to do it more often.

Again - being asked to do the same thing slightly more often isn't being asked to do an entirely different thing. He's not suddenly going to be asked to be Peyton Manning out there, lining up the O and running a no-huddle. He's also not going to be asked to be Eli Manning, bombing balls downfield to Cruz and Nicks. He's going to be asked to run a WCO and hit WRs and RBs in space to give them room to make plays.

And like I said, Reid's teams don't utilize a true play-action set, but they do use the short passing game to create a similar impact. You act like play-fakes are like hitting a turbo button in Madden - no, they just get the LBs to freeze a little bit or safeties to bite - well that can be done by having Charles run out into the flat or by having Smith look to his slot WR as a first 'fauxption' before going to his true first read.

Reid has misdirection in his offenses, they're just slightly different. Of those 40 passes you're worried about, 10 of them will be off designed quick passes to the first read and/or RB - little stuff that is little more than a handoff in the grand scheme of things.

You're vastly overstating what changes Smith would have to make to his game and you're also underestimating what kind of tweaks Reid will have to make to his to fit the present personnel.

That's what I'm afraid of. Game manager not game winner. Draft a quarterback with our first and quit bringing in retreads. True fans. I swear.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9358090)

People here are sorely underrating Alex Smith. He was drafted when he was for a reason. Unfortunately he had to go through the same situation Gabbert is, and it makes it extremely hard for a QB to develop.

But once a QB like that finally Clicks, they rarely let it go. I'm not saying he will throw 4k yards consistently and 30TDs, but he will be a solid QB.

Fat Elvis 01-28-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9358077)
Why would he even take the chance going against the #1 draft pick? He wants released to start.

If you think you are a starting QB, then it really doesn't matter who you are competing against. If he is too afraid to compete against a rookie, then I really wouldn't want him on the team. With the new rookie pay scale, teams can afford to swing and miss--especially if they have a better player at a position.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9358128)
If you think you are a starting QB, then it really doesn't matter who you are competing against. If he is too afraid to compete against a rookie, then I really wouldn't want him on the team. With the new rookie pay scale, teams can afford to swing and miss--especially if they have a better player at a position.

It's not a matter of whether or not he is too afraid to do anything. It would just be a stupid decision. His Agent will be well aware of this.

King_Chief_Fan 01-28-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9357864)

Draft pick, Smith and no Stanzi