ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Joe Flacco admits that he's a wimp who doesn't appreciate football. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269444)

Rain Man 01-29-2013 10:10 AM

Joe Flacco admits that he's a wimp who doesn't appreciate football.

At least, that's my reading of his statement.

What kind of nation have we become? Football players, who by tradition are the manliest of men, now are afraid to play outside because it's cold? BECAUSE IT'S COLD? This is an insult to anyone who ever watched the film of Bob Lilly and Jethro Pugh kicking the frozen turf to get a foothold. It's an insult to anyone who saw Derrick Thomas sitting in the deluge in Arrowhead Stadium against Seattle. It's an insult to anyone who didn't quite see the fog game in Chicago.

Football is an outdoor sport. It's an OUTDOOR sport. Mud and snow and grass are part of the game. If you want an inside job, Joe Flacco, I would recommend that you put your physical education degree to use and get a job in some office somewhere.

Geezle beezle, it's no wonder we lost Vietnam.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...-super-bowl-nj

Joe Flacco blasts cold-weather Bowl
Updated: January 29, 2013, 10:12 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco didn't mask his feelings Monday when he was asked about the NFL's championship being decided next year at MetLife Stadium, the first outdoor Super Bowl at a cold-weather site.

"I think it's reeruned. I probably shouldn't say that. I think it's stupid," he told reporters after the Ravens arrived in New Orleans for Sunday's Super Bowl. "If you want a Super Bowl, put a retractable dome on your stadium. Then you can get one.

"Other than that I don't really like the idea. I don't think people would react very well to it, or be glad to play anybody in that kind of weather," he said.

Next year's Super Bowl will be held Feb. 2, 2014, at the building shared by the Giants and Jets in East Rutherford, N.J.

The record low for a Super Bowl kickoff is 39 degrees when Dallas beat Miami in January 1972 at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans. It'll be a lot warmer in the Big Easy when the Ravens and San Francisco 49ers tangle Sunday. They'll be inside the Superdome.

The National Weather Service said the average high in nearby Newark, N.J., on Feb. 2 is 39.8 degrees and the low is 24.2. The average precipitation on that date going back to 1931 is about one-eighth of an inch.

Last week, on a 24-degree Thursday in Manhattan that felt a lot colder because of the wind, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league is "thrilled" that next year's Super Bowl is being hosted in the New York region, while adding that they'll be "prepared" in the event of harsh weather conditions.

"We made this decision [to play the game here], obviously not knowing what the weather would be, but football is made to be played in the elements," Goodell said Thursday during a news conference at City Hall, adding that temperatures are forecast to be about 50 degrees next week.

"We're gonna celebrate the game here. We're gonna celebrate the weather here. We're gonna make it a great experience," he said.

No city is immune to rugged weather. Even though Green Bay and Pittsburgh played inside Cowboys Stadium two years, snow and ice blanketed the lead-up events.

The only significant precipitation during a Super Bowl came in February 2007 at Miami. Playing in a rainstorm, Indianapolis and Chicago committed four turnovers in the first quarter.

Expect ticket sales to be brisk next year, StubHub spokesman Glenn Lehrman said last week. He predicted the 2014 Super Bowl would create the largest demand "we've ever had."

"I think people want to be part of a first-time experience. Whatever it is," he said.

Lehrman said because so many people live on the East Coast -- within driving distance of the stadium, not needing pricey hotel rooms -- cold weather wouldn't have a chilling effect.

Goodell and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg last week gave an overview of plans and events leading up to the game, highlighted by the creation of a "Super Bowl Boulevard," a massive fan event with free admission in midtown Manhattan that will take place from Jan. 29 to Feb. 1. Fans will be able to see the Vince Lombardi Trophy, catch nightly concerts and check out NFL-themed exhibits.

The NFC team will work out at the Giants' practice facility in East Rutherford, N.J., while the AFC team will practice at the Jets' facility in Florham Park, N.J. Both teams will stay at hotels in New Jersey.

One study projected that the economic impact to the region would add $550 million to $600 million.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 10:12 AM

Whoa.

He said "reeruned".

:facepalm:

Rain Man 01-29-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9361244)
Whoa.

He said "reeruned".

:facepalm:

Yeah, he'll get suspended for that. Hopefully it makes him miss an outdoor game in cold weather, because he's far too fragile for that kind of hardship.

Hammock Parties 01-29-2013 10:13 AM

I'm glad someone has the courage to say reeruned in 2013, and I'm not surprised it's a ****ing stud who chucks deep balls that win games like Joe ****ing Flacco.

BigMeatballDave 01-29-2013 10:23 AM

Why is playing a cold-weather sport in cold weather, reeruned?

Grow a pair, Joe.

PaulAllen 01-29-2013 10:24 AM

Goodell doesn't know what the weather is like in New Jersey in the winter?

htismaqe 01-29-2013 10:25 AM

Joe Flacco plays in Baltimore. He doesn't have any problem with the elements.

Having the Super Bowl in New York, in February, absolutely IS stupid.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-29-2013 10:26 AM

Probably NSFW although we used to play it every day before work, so apply to your life as needed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l58NESfWDmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Molitoth 01-29-2013 10:28 AM

Bernard Pollard is right. Nobody is going to be watching this sissy sport in 30 years if Goodell keeps pussifying it and catering to these players who are pansy ass.

RealSNR 01-29-2013 10:28 AM

So refresh my memory. Kansas City couldn't host a Super Bowl because we have an open-air stadium in a city that gets chilly in early February. Just like New York.

Right?

htismaqe 01-29-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9361281)
So refresh my memory. Kansas City couldn't host a Super Bowl because we have an open-air stadium in a city that gets chilly in early February. Just like New York.

Right?

Yep.

Rain Man 01-29-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9361271)

But championship games in bad weather are where legends arise. Would anyone remember the 1934 championship game if it wasn't the Sneaker game? Would Bart Starr's sneak be played on NFL Network 100 times per year if it was in San Diego? Football should transcend weather. Football should be so cool that it shrugs its mesomorphic shoulders and points at a map and says, "We're playing the championship game here," whether it's in Chicago or Miami or Finland. Football should not be extending its lower lip and saying, "We only want championship games where it's warm and sunny." Cold and snowy are the womb from which Football was birthed.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-29-2013 10:30 AM

KC is the midwest. Never gonna happen. I don't even think it was guaranteed when the roof proposal was up was it?

PaulAllen 01-29-2013 10:31 AM

Could KC handle an event like that? Jacksonville was a disaster and it has a bigger metro area.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9361287)
But championship games in bad weather are where legends arise. Would anyone remember the 1934 championship game if it wasn't the Sneaker game? Would Bart Starr's sneak be played on NFL Network 100 times per year if it was in San Diego? Football should transcend weather. Football should be so cool that it shrugs its mesomorphic shoulders and points at a map and says, "We're playing the championship game here," whether it's in Chicago or Miami or Finland. Football should not be extending its lower lip and saying, "We only want championship games where it's warm and sunny." Cold and snowy are the womb from which Football was birthed.

This isn't 1975.

The Super Bowl is an event that draws THOUSANDS of people from all over the country.

Letting them freeze in New York or Detroit is just stupid.

All of those nostaligic scenarios you're talking about happened when championship games WEREN'T played on neutral fields.

If you want Super Bowls to be played in the cold and snow, go back to having them played on somebody's home field and don't make it a 2-week all-out media extravaganza.

mr. tegu 01-29-2013 10:33 AM

I am not really a fan of these new artificial turf fields with the little rubber pellets that get kicked up everywhere. I much prefer the grass fields that get worn, muddy, and sloppy.

Rain Man 01-29-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulAllen (Post 9361297)
Could KC handle an event like that? Jacksonville was a disaster and it has a bigger metro area.

There was a Super Bowl in Jacksonville?

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

So refresh my memory. Kansas City couldn't host a Super Bowl because we have an open-air, old, stadium in a Midwest city that gets chilly in early February. Unlike like New York.

Right?

FYP

BigMeatballDave 01-29-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Why should all the warm weather cities get to reap the benefits?

RealSNR 01-29-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9361307)
FYP

The stadium is brand-spanking new with its renovations.

The NFL doesn't have problems putting the Super Bowl in AIDS-riddled cesspools like Detroit and Indianapolis. Why the hell not KC (besides the closed roof issue)?

If city sexiness matters in the Super Bowl site, then Kansas City is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from those two hell holes.

RealSNR 01-29-2013 10:38 AM

Have any of you BEEN to downtown Indianapolis where Lucas Oil Field is? That city smells like a ****ing sewer. It's disgusting.

Yeah, let's put everybody THAT city. They have a new stadium! That's a greeeeaaaaat idea

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9361314)
The stadium is brand-spanking new with its renovations.

The NFL doesn't have problems putting the Super Bowl in AIDS-riddled cesspools like Detroit and Indianapolis. Why the hell not KC (besides the closed roof issue)?

If city sexiness matters in the Super Bowl site, then Kansas City is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from those two hell holes.

Detroit & Indy built NEW stadiums. KC renovated an OLD stadium. Should it matter? No. Does it? Yes.

IMO, Super Bowls should only be played in Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, LA, Atlanta, Phoenix, San Diego, and maybe Dallas or Houston.

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9361322)
Have any of you BEEN to downtown Indianapolis where Lucas Oil Field is? That city smells like a ****ing sewer. It's disgusting.

Yeah, let's put everybody THAT city. They have a new stadium! That's a greeeeaaaaat idea

Yes - I have. Having the SB in Indy & Detroit & NY/NJ is stupid. Just as having it in KC would be stupid.

Rain Man 01-29-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9361304)
This isn't 1975.

The Super Bowl is an event that draws THOUSANDS of people from all over the country.

All of those nostaligic scenarios you're talking about happened when championship games WEREN'T played on neutral fields.

If you want Super Bowls to be played in the cold and snow, go back to having them played on somebody's home field and don't make it a 2-week all-out media extravaganza.

Okay, we have a deal. Home field it is.

I recognize the marketing value of letting rich people who don't know about football sit in the stands for three quarters at $5,000 per person. But in the long term, the next generation of real fans needs their own nostalgic scenarios or their appreciation of the game will fade. The Super Bowl has been a short-term marketing game played at the expense of long-term market loyalty, and at some point it's going to be a losing proposition. But every commissioner looks at it in the short term and kicks the can down the road for the next guy to worry about.

Rain Man 01-29-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9361323)
Detroit & Indy built NEW stadiums. KC renovated an OLD stadium. Should it matter? No. Does it? Yes.

IMO, Super Bowls should only be played in Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, LA, Atlanta, Phoenix, San Diego, and maybe Dallas or Houston.

Be honest. That's just because you don't own a coat.

BigMeatballDave 01-29-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9361323)

Pussy. :)

Why?

htismaqe 01-29-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9361311)
Why should all the warm weather cities get to reap the benefits?

Come on man.

Does Cleveland bitch when everybody vacations in Boca Raton?

Sometimes "practical" takes precedence over "fair".

htismaqe 01-29-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9361332)
Pussy. :)

Why?

Because nobody wants to spend 2 weeks in February in Kansas City.

It is what it is.

Lex Luthor 01-29-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

This isn't 1975.

Completely agree. As I was reading this thread, I figured I'd be the first one to post a dissenting opinion, and that I'd get blasted for being a wimp who doesn't appreciate real football. I'm glad htismaqe beat me to it.

I want the Super Bowl to decide who the best team is, and the way you guarantee that is to play the game in a warm weather site or in a dome. I don't want extreme weather conditions to decide the Super Bowl winner.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching regular season games played in blizzards (as long as I get to watch it on my HDTV), and I have no problem with playoff games being played in blizzards and ice as well. But the Super Bowl is a two-week extravaganza. Flacco is right: it's reeruned to play the game in a cold-weather city.

I hope next year's Super Bowl is played in zero degree temperatures, blinding snow, and perhaps even an ice storm. It will be fun to watch from the comfort of my living room, and the NFL may just learn something from the experience.

BigMeatballDave 01-29-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9361335)
Come on man.

Does Cleveland bitch when everybody vacations in Boca Raton?

Sometimes "practical" takes precedence over "fair".

Last I checked, Boca doesn't have an NFL team.

ReynardMuldrake 01-29-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

This isn't 1975.

Football is not about comfort. It's supposed to be hell. Who fights harder and who wants it more. Mud and rain and wind and snow and sweat and sacrifice is what football is all about.

Screw the spectators. It's all about TV dollars nowadays anyway.

Rain Man 01-29-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300 Bowler (Post 9361340)
Completely agree. As I was reading this thread, I figured I'd be the first one to post a dissenting opinion, and that I'd get blasted for being a wimp who doesn't appreciate real football. I'm glad htismaqe beat me to it.

I want the Super Bowl to decide who the best team is, and the way you guarantee that is to play the game in a warm weather site or in a dome. I don't want extreme weather conditions to decide the Super Bowl winner.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching regular season games played in blizzards (as long as I get to watch it on my HDTV), and I have no problem with playoff games being played in blizzards and ice as well. But the Super Bowl is a two-week extravaganza. Flacco is right: it's reeruned to play the game in a cold-weather city.

I hope next year's Super Bowl is played in zero degree temperatures, blinding snow, and perhaps even an ice storm. It will be fun to watch from the comfort of my living room, and the NFL may just learn something from the experience.

Playing the Super Bowl in a warm weather stadium every year benefits teams who play in warm weather all year (or indoors). A team that's built to survive cold-weather football in order to win its division then doesn't have a chance to play for a championship in that weather? That just doesn't seem right.

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9361344)
Last I checked, Boca doesn't have an NFL team.

Neither does Cleveland. /rimshot

htismaqe 01-29-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9361352)
Playing the Super Bowl in a warm weather stadium every year benefits teams who play in warm weather all year (or indoors). A team that's built to survive cold-weather football in order to win its division then doesn't have a chance to play for a championship in that weather? That just doesn't seem right.

Given that the Pats, Packers, and Giants have dominated in recent memory, I don't think cold weather teams are at much of a disadvantage.

COchief 01-29-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9361352)

I absolutely concur sir, I have never looked at it from this angle before. That certainly would benefit the warm weather teams, which is why you'll never see a cold weather team like NYG, GB, Pitt, or NE win the big gam...

Your theory, it needs work doctor.

BigMeatballDave 01-29-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9361357)
Neither does Cleveland. /rimshot

LOL

COchief 01-29-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9361374)
Given that the Pats, Packers, and Giants have dominated in recent memory, I don't think cold weather teams are at much of a disadvantage.

In the future when I am crafting my snark-reply, could you please refrain from stealing my thunder with a factual and straightforward post?

htismaqe 01-29-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9361406)
In the future when I am crafting my snark-reply, could you please refrain from stealing my thunder with a factual and straightforward post?

Sorry!

Rain Man 01-29-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9361393)
I absolutely concur sir, I have never looked at it from this angle before. That certainly would benefit the warm weather teams, which is why you'll never see a cold weather team like NYG, GB, Pitt, or NE win the big gam...

Your theory, it needs work doctor.

Think how good those teams would be if only they could play the championships in cold weather.

dirk digler 01-29-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Right?

Pretty much. IMHO they should rotate the SB around to every team in the league.

Rain Man 01-29-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9361421)
Pretty much. IMHO they should rotate the SB around to every team in the league.

That's exactly how it should be done. If it's good enough for the regular season, it's good enough for the Super Bowl. Plus, it would do wonders for the economic situations of Buffalo and Cincinnati.

Bob Dole 01-29-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

This isn't 1975.

Many of them teenaged girls who come only to watch the halftime show and hopefully be seen on national television.

Think about the children!

COchief 01-29-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9361411)
Think how good those teams would be if only they could play the championships in cold weather.

Well now you've gone and switched sides. I agree that GB would have a big homefield advantage in Jan against someone like Tampa Bay. The reverse is not true, its not like northern players have a complete breakdown when the temperature hits the sixties range. Northern players spend half of their year in 90 degree weather too, the difference being FL players don't spend half of their year in 10 degree weather.

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9361426)
That's exactly how it should be done. If it's good enough for the regular season, it's good enough for the Super Bowl. Plus, it would do wonders for the economic situations of Buffalo and Cincinnati.

Sorry - the NFL is a business and is about profit, not fairness and charity. The NFL stands to make more $$ when the Super Bowl is played in desirable destinations.

For those who think the Super Bowl is about a football game, think again. To fans? Maybe. To the NFL? Hardly.

COchief 01-29-2013 11:23 AM

I think a lot of it has to do with overall appeal of "the event" and also somewhat of a reward to the players that busted their asses to get there. It's fairly simple, you ask all of the players/fans/media where they'd prefer to spend a week in February and you will hear lots of Miami/NO/SD etc. Plus how pissed would you be as a player if your reward for getting to the SB was to play a game in Buffalo in -10 degree weather?

MagicHef 01-29-2013 11:33 AM

Build "Super Bowl Stadium" in Tahiti.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9361507)
I think a lot of it has to do with overall appeal of "the event" and also somewhat of a reward to the players that busted their asses to get there. It's fairly simple, you ask all of the players/fans/media where they'd prefer to spend a week in February and you will hear lots of Miami/NO/SD etc. Plus how pissed would you be as a player if your reward for getting to the SB was to play a game in Buffalo in -10 degree weather?

It's akin to guys busting their asses to get bowl eligible and then finding out they got an invite to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

bevischief 01-29-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9361274)
Probably NSFW although we used to play it every day before work, so apply to your life as needed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l58NESfWDmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This explains a few things...LMAO

BigMeatballDave 01-29-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9361492)
Sorry - the NFL is a business and is about profit, not fairness and charity. The NFL stands to make more $$ when the Super Bowl is played in desirable destinations.

For those who think the Super Bowl is about a football game, think again. To fans? Maybe. To the NFL? Hardly.

Not wearing your socks correctly is also very lucrative for the NFL. :)

Rain Man 01-29-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9361544)
Build "Super Bowl Stadium" in Tahiti.

The NFL could buy their own island, build the stadium on it, and then control all of the flights and hotels and restaurants on the island. A Super Bowl trip of a lifetime can be yours for only $40,000 per person, all inclusive.

Actually, this post started as a joke, but now I'm thinking that the NFL should seriously consider this.

Sorter 01-29-2013 12:03 PM

His brother announced he's going to try out for the NFL I believe.

Easy 6 01-29-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Yep, like he said, if a cold weather city wants the big game, get a retractable roof.

Nobody wants to spend all of that money to freeze their ass off, i get that this game is best played outside, but i think that for the championship people should be able to be comfortable.

BigCatDaddy 01-29-2013 01:42 PM

How about the team with the best record in the game host it?

MahiMike 01-29-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9361247)
I'm glad someone has the courage to say reeruned in 2013, and I'm not surprised it's a ****ing stud who chucks deep balls that win games like Joe ****ing Flacco.

Yeah! What he said!

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9362017)
How about the team with the best record in the game host it?

You're going to host a Super Bowl with all of the activities and events that go along with it on 2 weeks notice? ROFL

There's a reason Super Bowl locations are decided years in advance.

BigCatDaddy 01-29-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9362043)
You're going to host a Super Bowl with all of the activities and events that go along with it on 2 weeks notice? ROFL

There's a reason Super Bowl locations are decided years in advance.

Just trying to think of other options. IMO not having a true home crowd takes something away from the game. It's just a bunch of fat cats having tea and crumpets. I want some upperdeck rowdies. All the bells and whistles that go with the game can die in a fire.

Rain Man 01-29-2013 01:55 PM

One year they should flash mob the Super Bowl. Don't tell anyone where it's at, and then have the players show up one at a time in a local park and paint stripes on it and play. They could bring the cameras, of course, but then it's up to the population of the city to find it and show up.

That'd be awesome.

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9362052)
Just trying to think of other options. IMO not having a true home crowd takes something away from the game. It's just a bunch of fat cats having tea and crumpets. I want some upperdeck rowdies. All the bells and whistles that go with the game can die in a fire.

As a fan, I agree with you. However, Roger Goodell is not a fan. Roger Goodell is a businessman whose goal is to maximize profit.

swayy07 01-29-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9361287)

http://gemakei.com/content/wp-conten...1/clap-gif.gif

DTLB58 01-29-2013 02:23 PM

I LOVE Flacco more and more everyday!

If it were up to me. Flacco would be the Chiefs next QB and every SB would be played @ the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9362052)

Those days are long gone, my friend.

This is bidness, as they say.

BigCatDaddy 01-29-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9362173)
Those days are long gone, my friend.

This is bidness, as they say.

Just let a boy dream.

Setsuna 01-29-2013 02:39 PM

Jacksonville was not a disaster you all just assume the gates of Hell are there and can't say anything good about the city. It's stupid really.

dirk digler 01-29-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9362091)
As a fan, I agree with you. However, Roger Goodell is not a fan. Roger Goodell is a businessman whose goal is to maximize profit.

It really is up to the owners if that wanted to spread it around to every team they could. But they don't want to and I don't understand why.

GloryDayz 01-29-2013 03:22 PM

This sissy is an out-right pussy! **** him! Real fans like the elements and all the challenges they bring! Those who don't should shut the **** up and enjoy the awesomenees of some other indoor sport. I hope he knows MOST fans actually love to watch a game in the rain/snow/sleet. What's next, is he going to pussy out of night games because it's past his bed time?

As for the super bowl, he might be right, BECAUSE NOT MANY TRUE FOOTBALL FANS ARE THERE! Mainly useless corporate types with way too much money and time on their hands. THAT'S why they say "Super Bowl week is about a lot more than the game." No it's not!

What a dick!

MahiMike 01-29-2013 03:38 PM

Joe Flacco is the new Joe Montana and above reproach. Anything he says is ok.

mlyonsd 01-29-2013 03:52 PM

That settles it, I'm rooting for the niners.

mikey23545 01-29-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9361242)
At least, that's my reading of his statement.

What kind of nation have we become? Football players, who by tradition are the manliest of men, now are afraid to play outside because it's cold? BECAUSE IT'S COLD? This is an insult to anyone who ever watched the film of Bob Lilly and Jethro Pugh kicking the frozen turf to get a foothold. It's an insult to anyone who saw Derrick Thomas sitting in the deluge in Arrowhead Stadium against Seattle. It's an insult to anyone who didn't quite see the fog game in Chicago.

Football is an outdoor sport. It's an OUTDOOR sport. Mud and snow and grass are part of the game. If you want an inside job, Joe Flacco, I would recommend that you put your physical education degree to use and get a job in some office somewhere.

Geezle beezle, it's no wonder we lost Vietnam.

One of the most iconic visuals in the history of football.

FlaChief58 01-29-2013 04:02 PM

I'm all for the game being played no matter what the weather. Every city should get the opportunity to host a SB

Maybe they should follow baseball's lead and use the pro bowl to decide which division hosts the SB the following year. If the pro bowl meant something, it would be worth watching.

BigCatDaddy 01-29-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9362407)
I'm all for the game being played no matter what the weather. Every city should get the opportunity to host a SB

Maybe they should follow baseball's lead and use the pro bowl to decide which division hosts the SB the following year. If the pro bowl meant something, it would be worth watching.

I thought about that, but is Derrick Johnson going to put his career on the line so the Broncos or Raiders can host a superbowl? I'd think he might throw the game instead.

FlaChief58 01-29-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9362442)
I thought about that, but is Derrick Johnson going to put his career on the line so the Broncos or Raiders can host a superbowl? I'd think he might throw the game instead.

That's the beauty of it, since they would be playing for the following year, no one knows who is in the game

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9362407)

Would never work. Super Bowls are planned more than 3 years in advance.

BigCatDaddy 01-29-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9362452)
That's the beauty of it, since they would be playing for the following year, no one knows who is in the game

I gotcha, but I'm still not sure you're going to get players to risk injury and cost themselves millions on the slim chance they make the SB the following year.

FlaChief58 01-29-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9362464)
Would never work. Super Bowls are planned more than 3 years in advance.

I thought about that too & realize it would'nt be easy but, if baseball can get 2 cities ready, I think the NFL could get 1 ready.

Thig Lyfe 01-29-2013 04:34 PM

ALL Super Bowls should be played in cold weather. Preferably with snow.

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9362488)
I thought about that too & realize it would'nt be easy but, if baseball can get 2 cities ready, I think the NFL could get 1 ready.

Apples & oranges. Locals attend World Series games. Like it or not, Super Bowls are attended by out of town people (70,000+ of them) and those who aren't necessarily fans of either team.

The NFL also has two weeks worth of parties, events, the NFL Experience, etc.

Rain Man 01-29-2013 04:36 PM

Here in Colorado we have snow machines for the ski slopes. Perhaps as a compromise the game could be played in a warm weather city for fan comfort, but the field conditions would simulate the weather in a rotating list of franchise cities. So for example, in 2015 the Super Bowl would be played in New Orleans, but the conditions on the field would simulate the weather in Buffalo on that particular day. You could add rain, snow, sleet, whatever.

Thig Lyfe 01-29-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9362523)
Here in Colorado we have snow machines. Perhaps as a compromise the game could be played in a warm weather city for fan comfort, but the field conditions would simulate the weather in a rotating list of franchise cities. So for example, in 2015 the Super Bowl would be played in New Orleans, but the conditions on the field would simulate the weather in Buffalo.

I like this idea!

Chief Roundup 01-29-2013 05:58 PM

I would rather that the weather did not have a determining factor in the outcome of the game since it is the SB and all. The SB has become so iconic that it cannot be subject to weather. Most people would not be willing to set in the elements either. Too much money at stake to risk the weather.

mlyonsd 01-29-2013 06:02 PM

And to the argument part of it is for the fans to play in warm weather or domes.....I'd travel to the Arctic Circle to sit outside and watch the Chiefs play in a SB.