ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 95 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282545)

Rain Man 03-24-2014 06:38 PM

SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 95

The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7SQuyKlt1Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/snxME3CDtvI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I42_ESLXfWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man 03-24-2014 06:42 PM

My votes:

#1 - No Country For Old Men. I don't like the cheap cinematic trick of throwing in a loud noise to make people jump - that's very amateur - but the rest of the scene is gold. That guy's crazy!

#2 - Lonesome Dove. It's an okay scene, but I don't like the thought of them not treating horses well. And wait - was this a movie? I thought it was a TV mini-series. If that's the case, it's not even eligible.

#3 - Casablanca. I'm not really into the old movies. They just seem so stilted and faked.

Baby Lee 03-24-2014 06:54 PM

Yes, LD is a miniseries
And that dude at the start is marrying Lyndsay on 2 1/2 Men about now.

Aries Walker 03-24-2014 06:55 PM

Why the hell would I watch that scene from No Country more than once? It's one car crash and some mumbling. Oh, plus a compound fracture. Pass.

Lonesome Dove. Tommy Lee Jones kicking someone's ass never gets old.

Mama Hip Rockets 03-24-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10514170)
Why the hell would I watch that scene from No Country more than once?

Because it's from one of the greatest movies ever made?

Aries Walker 03-24-2014 07:20 PM

I get that a lot of people like the movie. But that scene?

cosmo20002 03-24-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10514211)

A lot of great movies with great scenes somehow only have so-so scenes actually in the tourney. I'm going to say it is Rain Man's fault.

Aries Walker 03-24-2014 08:50 PM

Fair enough. But I still would rather see Tommy Lee Jones beat the living hell out of some guy.

Mama Hip Rockets 03-24-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10514211)

It's a fantastic scene. It shows how desperate Anton is to avoid attention that he will just walk away from this kind of accident.

And the kid says, "Look at that ****in' bone." It's hilarious.

KC_Connection 03-24-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10514147)
#3 - Casablanca. I'm not really into the old movies. They just seem so stilted and faked.

You've never seen Casablanca? You've got so much to look forward to having not seen all these great movies, I envy you.

Rain Man 03-25-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10514511)
You've never seen Casablanca? You've got so much to look forward to having not seen all these great movies, I envy you.

I just can't do it. I look at the scenes in those movies and the actors are still projecting their voices like they're on stage, and I look behind them and I can practically see the working area behind the set, and it just kills the story. Plus, black and white doesn't work for me. I know very few people who live in black and white.

The funny thing is that I can go to a live play and I'll enjoy it just fine. I think it's because I know it's a play, so I shrug off the fact that it's on a stage and the actors are projecting and that sort of thing. But if it's a movie, I want to get lost in it and feel like it's really happening.

Rain Man 03-25-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 10514386)
It's a fantastic scene. It shows how desperate Anton is to avoid attention that he will just walk away from this kind of accident.

And the kid says, "Look at that ****in' bone." It's hilarious.

I love how he says something like, "Just let me sit here a minute". There's so much you can read into that about what's going through his mind.

Rain Man 03-26-2014 06:36 PM

No Country for Old Men takes the heat. And look at that f'in' bone.

KC_Connection 03-27-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10515245)
I just can't do it. I look at the scenes in those movies and the actors are still projecting their voices like they're on stage, and I look behind them and I can practically see the working area behind the set, and it just kills the story. Plus, black and white doesn't work for me. I know very few people who live in black and white.

The funny thing is that I can go to a live play and I'll enjoy it just fine. I think it's because I know it's a play, so I shrug off the fact that it's on a stage and the actors are projecting and that sort of thing. But if it's a movie, I want to get lost in it and feel like it's really happening.

Interesting. For me, a movie being in black and white has no impact on my enjoyment of it at all (and there are tons of good ones out there that carry that status). I guess I find it easier to suspend my disbelief.

mikey23545 03-27-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10520408)
Interesting. For me, a movie being in black and white has no impact on my enjoyment of it at all (and there are tons of good ones out there that carry that status). I guess I find it easier to suspend my disbelief.

This.

It's a shame how many people have become to feel that CGI is what defines the quality of a movie.