ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Vince Young to go pro (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133291)

Coach 01-08-2006 12:49 PM

Vince Young to go pro

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2284744

Report: Longhorns' Young to declare for draft

ESPN.com news services

Longhorns junior quarterback Vince Young will declare for the NFL draft at a 4 p.m. news conference Sunday, his godmother told The Dallas Morning News.

Young and his mother, Felicia, met with Young's pastor, Samuel H. Smith, in Houston on Sunday before making the decision, Yolande Levine told The Morning News

According to Levine, Young was on his way to Austin to tell Texas coach Mack Brown his decision to go pro.

"After that performance in the Rose Bowl, I think we all kind of knew which way he was going to go," Levine told the newspaper.

Team and league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the Texans will pass on Young, a Houston native, and select USC running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, pending the formality of Bush announcing that he is turning pro.

Almost nothing will change that course, the sources told Mortensen.

The Texans will pick up an $8 million option on quarterback David Carr, who was the expansion team's first draft pick four years ago. Texans owner Bob McNair made the decision after getting extensive evaluations from various sources that strongly endorsed Carr, including a favorable report from Dan Reeves, the former longtime NFL coach hired last month as a consultant.

USC's Matt Leinart, who could have been the first pick a year ago had he turned pro after his junior season, still remains the consensus top quarterback in the NFL draft, even if Young comes out. For Leinart, he is likely to be the choice of the New Orleans Saints at No. 2 with Young projected to the Tennessee Titans at No. 3.

Steve McNair, who has been mentoring Young, including a visit to watch the Rose Bowl, will be lobbying the Titans to select Young with the third pick, Mortensen reported. Of course, McNair has to re-sign with the Titans for that to happen.

Leinart also would be desirable to Tennessee, where his former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow is now calling plays for the Titans.

the Talking Can 01-08-2006 12:53 PM

sweet, that's one more good player that gets bumped down closer to us...

Mile High Mania 01-08-2006 01:02 PM

Interesting, it's definitely going to pay off for him financially, but it will be curious to see which team drafts him. McNair is his mentor, maybe he'll fall to TN... he definitely needs to go somewhere where he can make the adjustment for a year.

If he's thrown to the wolves on a bad offense... it could be really bad for him. There's no denying his talent, but he rarely takes a snap from under center - it's always the shotgun and that just won't fly on the pro level.

KCJake 01-08-2006 01:08 PM

Everyone is saying Young is a top 3 pick FOR SURE. How can that be? After one good(great) game?? This guy to me, looks like a poor mans Michael Vick.

Mile High Mania 01-08-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJake
Everyone is saying Young is a top 3 pick FOR SURE. How can that be? After one good(great) game?? This guy to me, looks like a poor mans Michael Vick.

I think Vick is way more hype... Young is bigger and I think he passes better. Running the ball, I think Young is just as electric. I don't think he will be a "great" QB on the pro level, but if he can have time to adjust and improve, maybe.

ChiefsCountry 01-08-2006 01:14 PM

Texans need O-line help bad, if they take Bush or Young that would be so stupid of them.

Spicy McHaggis 01-08-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania
Interesting, it's definitely going to pay off for him financially, but it will be curious to see which team drafts him. McNair is his mentor, maybe he'll fall to TN... he definitely needs to go somewhere where he can make the adjustment for a year.

If he's thrown to the wolves on a bad offense... it could be really bad for him. There's no denying his talent, but he rarely takes a snap from under center - it's always the shotgun and that just won't fly on the pro level.

It will be interesting to see where he goes. Keep in mind though that Alex Smith rarely took a snap from under center either and he was still selected #1. Granted he was a much more accomplished passer coming out of college and comparing his style of play to Young's is hard to do.

Mecca 01-08-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
sweet, that's one more good player that gets bumped down closer to us...

That's exactly my feeling on it too, maybe a few more crap guys will go high.

Mile High Mania 01-08-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry
Texans need O-line help bad, if they take Bush or Young that would be so stupid of them.

That's exactly why I think the Texans should find a team and trade out of that pick... pick up a bounty of picks and move down b/t the top 10-17 picks in R1 with additional R2/R3 picks. Something that will allow them to focus on the Oline.

Carr can be successful and we have seen Davis do well... it's their Oline that sucks so incredibly badly. I think they should trade out of that #1 pick for a combo of players/picks or something like that.

I just don't see spending the money that a top pick is going to demand is going to help them now... they have a nice trio in the making with Carr/ AJ / Davis... they need Oline help and I'd like to see them get a better #2 receiver and a TE.

milkman 01-08-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
That's exactly my feeling on it too, maybe a few more crap guys will go high.

I'm on that same page.

Any more juniors that could declare that will push a good player to the Chiefs spot?

Spicy McHaggis 01-08-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania
That's exactly why I think the Texans should find a team and trade out of that pick... pick up a bounty of picks and move down b/t the top 10-17 picks in R1 with additional R2/R3 picks. Something that will allow them to focus on the Oline.

Carr can be successful and we have seen Davis do well... it's their Oline that sucks so incredibly badly. I think they should trade out of that #1 pick for a combo of players/picks or something like that.

I just don't see spending the money that a top pick is going to demand is going to help them now... they have a nice trio in the making with Carr/ AJ / Davis... they need Oline help and I'd like to see them get a better #2 receiver and a TE.

Good take. It makes too much sense with the OLine draft being as deep as it is to settle for a "savior" who won't be able to do much behind that line. Bush would be like Barry Sanders. Every yard he got would pretty much be a yard he had to make himself.

Mile High Mania 01-08-2006 01:31 PM

And, regarding Bush - he's electric, but I'm not certain that he'll have a better pro career than White. White is tough as nails and hits the hole hard... I think I'd want him over bush as a pure pounding RB.

jAZ 01-08-2006 01:34 PM

Brock's predicting that Vince Young won't be drafted until the 2nd round at the earliest.

ck_IN 01-08-2006 01:37 PM

If Houston does anything besides trade down for more picks and use them for Oline help then they deserve whatever record they get.

Bush isn't what he's cracked up to be. I see him as a slot WR and KR. A little like Peter Warrick. Between Carr and Davis, Houston has a decent O. They need Oline now.

Spicy McHaggis 01-08-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck_IN
Bush isn't what he's cracked up to be. I see him as a slot WR and KR. A little like Peter Warrick.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he has a better pro career Peter Warrick.