ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Setting up printer sharing on a network.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=127428)

The Bad Guy 10-25-2005 07:50 AM

Setting up printer sharing on a network..

I have a new wireless connection on my laptop and I want to be able to share a printer with my desktop so I can print from my laptop..

I thought I had it setup this morning. I only have my desktop and the laptop connected to the network. I ran the setup wizard and a network bridge came up in my connections. When the bridge came up, I couldn't access the internet on the laptop so I disabled it.

Has anyone successfully set one of these up? If so, can you give me some simple instructions how I can just share a printer?

Thanks in advance.

SLAG 10-25-2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy
I have a new wireless connection on my laptop and I want to be able to share a printer with my desktop so I can print from my laptop..

I thought I had it setup this morning. I only have my desktop and the laptop connected to the network. I ran the setup wizard and a network bridge came up in my connections. When the bridge came up, I couldn't access the internet on the laptop so I disabled it.

Has anyone successfully set one of these up? If so, can you give me some simple instructions how I can just share a printer?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like Your Running XP...

What you want to do is hook the printer up to the desktop... Then right click on the printer and choose sharing...

Hopefully that should be all you need to do

The Bad Guy 10-25-2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG02
Sounds like Your Running XP...

What you want to do is hook the printer up to the desktop... Then right click on the printer and choose sharing...

Hopefully that should be all you need to do

Thanks. It worked on the laptop network.

At my moms, they have 2 printers hooked up to a network through a router.

Both of them are connected to the router (it isn't wireless) and I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get the computer upstairs to access the network and connect to the printer.

Any tips for this?

I get to the part on add a printer and it searches for the printer and all that comes up is microsoft network and my printer on the main computer isn't listed.

SLAG 10-25-2005 08:27 PM

Depends on the O.S you are running but sounds like you need a drivers disk for the printers to install on the PC that cant find them Other Factors are make and Models of printers and the type of network adapters they have if they are built in or external print servers.

KC Jones 10-25-2005 09:50 PM

Microsofts website has some great tutorials for this sort of stuff. Certain types of LAN activity are crippled for XP Home Edition, but nothing that should prevent you from sharing windows with another windows box. You might double check to make sure they both have the same local MS windows network name - IIRC sometimes that was an issue between win2k/win98/winXP.