ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs A look at 2014 Free Agents - Who should we pursue? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280439)

Strongside 01-06-2014 01:01 PM

A look at 2014 Free Agents - Who should we pursue?

Obviously, there are several vulnerable spots on the roster that could and should be improved upon. John Dorsey isn't a huge free agency guy, or hasn't been in the past, and will no doubt look to improve many of our problems through the draft. There are, however, several big name guys that could garner some attention from the Chiefs. Here are a few positions that I think we need to improve upon, and the 2014 FA's for those positions (age of FA shown). Feel free to add to the mix. I've bolded a few players that I think we may show interest in.

3 of our OL are coming up as FA's (Schwartz, Asamoah, and Albert) so we'll need to pick up a few pieces or resign some guys. I'm betting Albert is gone.

Who should we pursue? Who should we avoid?

Discuss.

WR
Eric Decker, 26
Jeremy Maclin, 25
Julian Edelman, 27
Hakeem Nicks, 25
Anquan Boldin, 33
Golden Tate, 25
Kenny Britt, 25
Riley Cooper, 26
Emmanuel Sanders, 26

TE
Jimmy Graham, 27 (Saints would be full reerun to let him go)
Dennis Pitta, 28
Brandon Pettigrew, 28
Fred Davis, 27
Garret Graham, 27

OG
Jon Asamoah, 25
Geoff Schwartz, 27
Travelle Wharton, 32
Richie Incognito, 30
Kevin Booth, 30

OT
Branden Albert, 29 (possible franchise tag again?)
Zach Streif, 30
Eugene Monroe, 26
Jared Veldheer, 26
Michael Oher, 27
Austin Howard, 26

DE
Greg Hardy, 25 (not going anywhere)
Jared Allen, 31 (4-3 guy)
Michael Johnson, 26 wishful thinking here.
Lamaar Houston, 26
Justin Tuck, 30
Arthur Jones, 27
Robert Ayers, 28

LB (we need help at Jordan's spot)
Brandon Spikes, 26
Karlos Dansby, 32 (many here wanted him last time around)
Jon Beason, 28
Jonathan Vilma, 31 If Sutton stays, expect Vilma to get a look for a short-term deal.
Daryl Smith, 31

CB
Brent Grimes, 30
DRC, 27
Vontae Davis, 25
Aqib Talib, 27
Charles Tillman, 32
Captain Munnerlyn, 25
Chris Harris, 24
Others could be listed here as well.

SProbably our most glaring need, after Kendrick's debacle of a season
Jairus Byrd, 27 (will likely be tagged again)
TJ Ward, 27
Donte Whitner, 28 (SF may not be able to afford him. We may not either.)
Bernard Pollard, 29
James Ihedigbo, 30
Major Wright, 25
Chris Clemons, 28
Antione Bethea, 29

Those are just a few to get us started. Go.

The Franchise 01-06-2014 01:03 PM

Schwartz should be priority #1 of our current FAs.

After that? Golden Tate aka Michael Floyd.

McBeard 01-06-2014 01:07 PM

I like Vontae Davis if we could afford him. He fits the scheme perfectly. Sign him and trade Flowers.

I can't see Vilma coming. The Jets got rid of him because he wasn't good in their 3-4 scheme.

RealSNR 01-06-2014 01:09 PM

Asamoah should be asked back

FOR ME TO POOP ON

Strongside 01-06-2014 01:11 PM

I'll be shocked if either Maclin or Riley Cooper isn't a Chief next year.

ThaVirus 01-06-2014 01:15 PM

We already have too many large contracts on the books and more to come with guys like Alex Smith and Justin Houston likely being extended this offseason or next so I'll skip the wishful thinking list that would include guys like Jairus Byrd, Goldent Tate and Aqib Talib...

To start, we should re-sign Schwartz. He played well most of the time and is a great utility guy that can move around the line if any injuries crop up.

Sticking with the offensive line from there, I wouldn't mind signing Asamoah again at league minimum for depth purposes. I'm not sure what kind of contracts Veldheer and Oher would command but, if they'd be relatively cheap, I wouldn't mind bringing one in to push Stephenson/Fisher with Albert almost certainly splitting for FA.

On the offensive skill positions side, I'd like to see us go after Maclin or Emmanuel Sanders. Sanders would likely be the cheaper option and he's basically the same type of player as Maclin. I'd also throw an offer at Pettigrew and bite if he's willing to come for the cheap.

On the defensive side, all of those guys listed that are worth anything at DE are 4-3 guys so skip on that although I hate going into another season without a starting DE that can rush the passer. LBs are also underwhelming but I'd take a look at Beason. He was traded for basically peanuts but was pretty damn good at one point in time. He could possibly come cheap but I don't know if he'd even be worth it at this point in his career.

That would really only leave DRC. He's a great man-to-man cover guy so he'd fit well in our offense. Plus he's got a ton of speed, something we've lacked at the CB position for as long as I've been a fan.

TL;DR: Re-sign Schwartz and take a look at Asamoah, Veldheer and Oher for depth/possible starting T options if they're cheap.

Pick up Emmanuel Sanders and DRC while making a play on Brandon Pettigrew and Jon Beason if they're asking for reasonable salaries.

ThaVirus 01-06-2014 01:17 PM

I sound like a bargain shopping ass bitch.

McBeard 01-06-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10350215)
I sound like a bargain shopping ass bitch.

You were good. All around speed should be a focus.

Sorter 01-06-2014 01:20 PM

Cooper/Decker/Sanders, Jones, Houston, Spikes/Smith, DRC/Chris Harris/Davis, Bethea.

The Franchise 01-06-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10350203)
We already have too many large contracts on the books and more to come with guys like Alex Smith and Justin Houston likely being extended this offseason or next so I'll skip the wishful thinking list that would include guys like Jairus Byrd, Goldent Tate and Aqib Talib...

To start, we should re-sign Schwartz. He played well most of the time and is a great utility guy that can move around the line if any injuries crop up.

Sticking with the offensive line from there, I wouldn't mind signing Asamoah again at league minimum for depth purposes. I'm not sure what kind of contracts Veldheer and Oher would command but, if they'd be relatively cheap, I wouldn't mind bringing one in to push Stephenson/Fisher with Albert almost certainly splitting for FA.

On the offensive skill positions side, I'd like to see us go after Maclin or Emmanuel Sanders. Sanders would likely be the cheaper option and he's basically the same type of player as Maclin. I'd also throw an offer at Pettigrew and bite if he's willing to come for the cheap.

On the defensive side, all of those guys listed that are worth anything at DE are 4-3 guys so skip on that although I hate going into another season without a starting DE that can rush the passer. LBs are also underwhelming but I'd take a look at Beason. He was traded for basically peanuts but was pretty damn good at one point in time. He could possibly come cheap but I don't know if he'd even be worth it at this point in his career.

That would really only leave DRC. He's a great man-to-man cover guy so he'd fit well in our offense. Plus he's got a ton of speed, something we've lacked at the CB position for as long as I've been a fan.

TL;DR: Re-sign Schwartz and take a look at Asamoah, Veldheer and Oher for depth/possible starting T options if they're cheap.

Pick up Emmanuel Sanders and DRC while making a play on Brandon Pettigrew and Jon Beason if they're asking for reasonable salaries.

Yes to Schwartz. Veldheer will probably re-sign with Oakland....they're going to have a shit ton of cap space to work with. Don't really see Oher leaving Baltimore or DRC leaving Denver.

ThaVirus 01-06-2014 01:22 PM

Didn't the Colts just trade a 2nd rounder for Vontae Davis before this season?

I can't see them letting him go, especially since he's been pretty instrumental in all of their big wins this season, particularly the win over Denver.

mcaj22 01-06-2014 01:26 PM

we could have had Brent Grimes on such a cheap deal last year.

I don't think we have a snowballs chance at either but Lamarr Houston or Aruthur Jones would be huge.

Easy 6 01-06-2014 01:28 PM

Gimme Maclin for sure, of the safeties we can likely afford?... yeeesh, very slim pickings.

Probably better off making a power play for Dix than try to find someone from that group.

McBeard 01-06-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10350241)
Didn't the Colts just trade a 2nd rounder for Vontae Davis before this season?

I can't see them letting him go, especially since he's been pretty instrumental in all of their big wins this season, particularly the win over Denver.

I think it was the season before. They will have to choose between him and Bethea from what I understand. They can't afford both.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-06-2014 01:33 PM

Pursue them all.