ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football 1st Round QB (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265733)

Chief Roundup 10-26-2012 08:56 AM

1st Round QB

I need some help from you all please.
I have to write a 3 page argumentative essay paper. It was assigned this morning and is due by Sunday at midnight. We can choose any topic we want as long as it is sports related. I thought about writing about the DH since the WS is going on right now.
I have chosen to write about the need to draft a QB in the first round.
The help I need is where do you all get your information about QB's.
I have to have at least 3 references. I need at least one expert for each side of the argument....Who expert wise is against drafting a QB in the first???
Who would you all consider a widly accepted expert?

This is for my honors program. The pressure is on.

Woodchuck 10-26-2012 09:14 AM

This is a good reference.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

I'm not sure who is against taking a first round QB. I think it just depends on where the franchise is at the time and how they rate the propects.

htismaqe 10-26-2012 09:14 AM

Bill Parcells isn't necessarily against drafting a QB in the first but he has SPECIFIC criteria for drafting a QB that lots and lots of successful QBs don't meet.

Pro Football Reference is THE site for stats, numbers, and history, period.

Woodchuck 10-26-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9051249)
Bill Parcells isn't necessarily against drafting a QB in the first but he has SPECIFIC criteria for drafting a QB that lots and lots of successful QBs don't meet.

That's a good point. He took Jake Long when Miami needed a QB. I also remember watching that he wouldn't take a player that he couldn't compare to someone. He was saying he wouldn't take Osweiler (6' 7") because there had never been a QB that tall. He would just automatically take him off the list.

cyborgtable 10-26-2012 09:34 AM

Maybe Holmgren. Brett was a second rounder and he took Seattle to a superbowl with a 6th rounder. He may have said something on the subject

RippedmyFlesh 10-26-2012 09:39 AM

Here is an article you might want to check out for your research.
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...und-qbs/15221/

Some highlights

Here's a quick look at how draft positions relate to Super Bowl appearances:

1st Overall – 7 QBs combined for 19 starts
Top 10 – 13 QBs, 25 starts
1st Rd – 20 QBs, 36 starts
2nd Rd – 4 QBs, 5 starts
3rd Rd – 5 QBs, 8 starts
4th Rd – 3 QBs, 4 starts
5th Rd – N/A
6th Rd – 4 QBs, 8 starts
7th Rd or later – 2 QBs, 2 starts
Undrafted – 2 QBs, 4 starts

First-round quarterbacks, meanwhile, have made over half (53.7%) of all starts in the big game.

In fact, Brady is one of just two quarterbacks in the last 20 drafts who was selected outside of the top 32 and started a Super Bowl. The other was Matt Hasslebeck, a sixth rounder in 1998.

So, what have we learned? While there are many, many factors that go into a football team's success, fielding a quarterback who was picked near the top of the class is typically a common thread between the best of the best.

L.A. Chieffan 10-26-2012 09:42 AM

Just to see if I could, for my college English Class I wrote a 10 page paper arguing the pro-side of Eugenics. Got an A

Deberg_1990 10-26-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9051219)
Who expert wise is against drafting a QB in the first???
Who would you all consider a widly accepted expert?

Isnt this obvious? Pioli

htismaqe 10-26-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9051308)
Just to see if I could, for my college English Class I wrote a 10 page paper arguing the pro-side of Eugenics. Got an A

And I thought I was bad when I wrote a 25-page paper on why the introduction of orthotricycline was the most impactful event of 1963.

Chief Roundup 10-26-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9051327)
Isnt this obvious? Pioli

He is not an expert. Just an asshole. :p

Chiefnj2 10-26-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9051249)

He was on the radio the other day. Sounds really old.

Questions were all over the place, a lot about players talking smack.

He said he thinks Romo is a really good QB that gets a bad rap.

He said the QB protection is the most important thing. If you can't protect it doesn't matter who the QB is. (His words).

Chief Roundup 10-26-2012 10:10 AM

I have not been able to find any story to reference about not drafting a QB in the first. Or building a success NFL team where the QB is not or was not drafted in the first. Have to be able to reference. Wikipedia cannot be used.

cyborgtable 10-26-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9051406)
I have not been able to find any story to reference about not drafting a QB in the first. Or building a success NFL team where the QB is not or was not drafted in the first. Have to be able to reference. Wikipedia cannot be used.

Why not use Wikipedia's references

Chief Roundup 10-26-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgtable (Post 9051419)
Why not use Wikipedia's references

I can if they reference a scholarly journal or are widely considered creditable source.