ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News 'Natural' drug could offer long-lasting arthritis relief by 'rebooting' immune system (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269834)

bevischief 02-08-2013 12:40 PM

'Natural' drug could offer long-lasting arthritis relief by 'rebooting' immune system

'Natural' drug could offer long-lasting arthritis relief by 'rebooting' immune system

Researchers developed protein modelled on the body's own defences
Protein is body's normal anti-inflammatory response
Insufficient quantities found in the joints of those with rheumatoid arthritis

A single dose of a new drug could ‘reboot’ the immune system of patients with rheumatoid arthritis, say researchers.
They have developed a protein agent modelled on the body’s own natural defences to combat the inflammation that can destroy joints.
Rheumatoid arthritis affects around 400,000 adults, causing joint pain and swelling, stiffness, fatigue, and disability. At least 1,000 Britons a year have to give up work because of the condition.
Researchers from King’s College London and clinicians from Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London, are to start the first human trial of BiP – binding immunoglobulin protein – involving up to 50 patients.
The protein is part of the body’s normal anti-inflammatory response, but it is found in insufficient quantities in the joints of people with rheumatoid arthritis to have a therapeutic effect.
Previous work by the team indicates that giving an intravenous dose will quickly boost a patient’s anti-inflammatory response.
A single infusion appears to ‘reset’ their immune system and may give a long lasting effect.
Gabriel Panayi, professor emeritus of rheumatology at King’s College London, and honorary consultant rheumatologist at Guy’s and St Thomas, said: ‘If BiP works as we expect then a single dose should be sufficient to put patients into remission for months.
Each year approximately 800,000 appointments are needed for existing patients, and about 80,000 for new patients.
Dr Valerie Corrigall of King’s College London said: ‘This trial is the culmination of 15 years of work – it’s very exciting to be at this stage.
‘Using patients’ own immune system to help protect against the disease is a new approach to treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
‘As well as being a very promising therapy, we’ve purposefully designed BiP to be more cost effective than biologic therapies which work well but are extremely expensive.’
Professor Alan Silman, medical director of Arthritis Research UK charity, which is funding the two-year trial, said: ‘We’re very excited that the culmination of several years of support has resulted in a potential new treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
‘This work is an example of where research funded by Arthritis Research UK has been translated into a possible new treatment that could come into clinical care within a reasonable time frame.’
Although rheumatoid arthritis is more common in older people it also affects many people of working age.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz2KKnGQG6b

Mr. Laz 02-08-2013 12:51 PM

outstanding .... hope it works.

hope people don't have to wait 20 more years for it

Beef Supreme 02-08-2013 12:52 PM

They'll bury this drug if people only need a single dose. Pharmaceutical companies won't allow that kind of shit.

EagleRob 02-08-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 9387453)
They'll bury this drug if people only need a single dose. Pharmaceutical companies won't allow that kind of shit.

This

SCTrojan 02-08-2013 05:46 PM

Bring it on.

BlackHelicopters 02-08-2013 06:15 PM

This type of possibility is still decades away.

Mr. Laz 02-08-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9388068)
This type of possibility is still decades away.

they are supposedly already doing human trials ... that's not decades away.

if it works

splatbass 02-08-2013 07:05 PM

As someone with rheumatoid arthritis I would love this. The current treatments are worlds better than what they had a generation ago, but I still suffer from flare ups fairly often that are debilitating.

bevischief 02-08-2013 07:05 PM

There is a intravenous drug called Remicade that is out now. It was created for rheumatoid arthritis but also works for Crohn's disease my wife was on it for years. There are some newer ones but at the time my wife was one of the first in the KC area to get it. This was 7-8 years ago. The newer ones are shots not intravenous.

aturnis 02-08-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 9387453)

It will be deemed unsafe.

CrazyPhuD 02-08-2013 07:44 PM

My immune system runs windows. I have to reboot that ****er once a day or bad things happen. Fortunately colon blow does an amazing job of rebooting my system.

threebag 02-08-2013 08:27 PM

I like to soak it in cider.

BlackHelicopters 02-08-2013 08:41 PM

Re-booting the immune system is not simple. Sort of like repairing the levee system in NOLA. As soon as you solve one problem, another pops up. Human genetics manipulation is still decades away, and may be forever just out if human reach. There is a reason for this.