ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Sandals vacations (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190368)

Mr. Plow 09-01-2008 06:28 PM

Sandals vacations

Wife & I were initially going to try for Hawaii, but long story short, not sure that we are going to do that now. So, we've been looking into the Sandals all inclusive vacations. I've got a few questions for those that have been:

#1 - What are your resort recommendations? We have looked at Sandals Grande St. Lucian & Sandals Royal Bahamian. Pricing is roughly the same. They have a $450 credit per person for airfare & 30% discount if booked before 9/4....so it's kind of a "rush" decision.

#2 - Neither my wife or I have been to any Sandals location, but my understanding is it is "all inclusive" - meaning room, all food, all drinks (alcoholic as well) are included. Is that right? Anything else included that I should be aware of?

#3 - Any hidden costs that we should be aware of? Other than any shopping, etc that we decide to do.

#4 - Anything in general that we should be aware of? We are looking to go in May 2009 - is that a good time or do you recommend any "good weather" times? Not going during hurricane season, that's for sure.

I know that this has been discussed in some other threads, but searching didn't really give me much....so repost me all you want.....this thread is here to say.

Thanks in advance for any help.

RibKing67 09-01-2008 06:32 PM

repost

lol

RibKing67 09-01-2008 06:34 PM

Have fun on the vaca... Seriously beware of hidden fees and tips. I have not been but have had a friend who has. Not sure if his was Sandals but he ended up spending about 300 more than expected.

ptlyon 09-01-2008 06:38 PM

My niece goes to Jamacia every year and loves it.

HTH

petegz28 09-01-2008 06:38 PM

My wife and I went to the Sandals, Royal Bahamian in Nassau and it was AWESOME!

Free everything anytime, anywhere and NO KIDS!

cdcox 09-01-2008 06:39 PM

Be aware that "all inclusive" somewhat chains you to the resort. If you hear about a good resturant, you will be hesitant to try it, since you've already paid for your dinner in your package deal. Are you going to be content being at the resort for every meal? Do you enjoy getting out and exploring a new place? Will the enjoyment of your vacation be curtailed by your conflicting obligations to get your money's worth of your package deal and to fully explore this new exciting part of the world?

BigVE 09-01-2008 06:46 PM

Didn't some of the islands in the Bahamas just get slammed by the hurricane?

SPATCH 09-01-2008 06:49 PM

sandals? who are you? michael scott?

KC Dan 09-01-2008 07:00 PM

I tried Iberostar a year and a half ago. It was wonderful and from Sept-Dec they had kids under 12 free back then.

Mr. Plow 09-01-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 4968879)
Be aware that "all inclusive" somewhat chains you to the resort. If you hear about a good resturant, you will be hesitant to try it, since you've already paid for your dinner in your package deal. Are you going to be content being at the resort for every meal? Do you enjoy getting out and exploring a new place? Will the enjoyment of your vacation be curtailed by your conflicting obligations to get your money's worth of your package deal and to fully explore this new exciting part of the world?

Ya, I thought of that. As for the resorts go.....I assume there is enough to do that you don't get bored. We enjoy just relaxing on the beach, but there are times that we'll want to do something.

jspchief 09-01-2008 07:10 PM

I went to Sandals Negril on my honeymoon, and I would definately go back. You really don't have to spend a cent if you choose not to (assuming transportation from airport to resort is covered). We did venture outside the resort a few times, but in hindsight we would have been fine staying put.

The food is a little hit or miss. The key is to target the places that cook ordered items rather than hitting the buffets. We had some excellent meals. The drinks are free, but the selection may be slightly limited (only Red Stripe beer).

The best part of it for us was the variety. Sea-kayaking one day, laying on the beach the next, Scuba on day 3, etc.

Sandals didn't get their name by being shitty. But you do pay for the name.

Silock 09-01-2008 07:12 PM

Are you taking Jan?

Iowanian 09-01-2008 07:47 PM

we went to an all inclusive in the mayan riviera. I had been to Europe with some people who had lived there and were fluent...worldly travelers. It was fine, but not something I'd have been comfortable doing alone. I'm not ready for a bRainman- Madagascar spear fishing expedition.

We did the all inclusive and I liked it. There were hands out for tips, even though there weren't supposed to be, the extra tours like snorkeling(sucked for us...like an ironman swim, not snorkeling) Mayan ruins and things like that cost $50-$100 each.

I had some family recently return from some island off Beliz that swear its the way to go.

Drinks were free, but a lot of them were screwed up....green maruarita mix in a bloody mary....stuff like that.

KevB 09-01-2008 07:51 PM

Another vote in favor of Sandals. Did one of the Sandals in Jamaica for our honeymoon, and can't imagine anywhere else would have been better. If you go off the resort, be prepared to tip for everything. On the resort, no funds necessary. Red Stripe in a frosty mug all day while lying on the beach....there are worse ways to spend a week.

eazyb81 09-01-2008 07:52 PM

Have heard great reviews of Sandals. I'm thinking about going to a Sandals vacation in Jamaica for my honeymoon next May.