ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Barber out? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115219)

Sparhawk 04-26-2005 07:04 AM

Barber out?

For the second time this season, I've seen a rumor about Shawn Barbers' knee being much worse than reported. This rumor stems (this time) from Profootball Talk, so I'm not sure whether or not to believe it. They said that he would most likely be a June 1 cut. Thoughts or opinions?

the Talking Can 04-26-2005 07:07 AM

I've seen a version of this rumor on warpaint....but I figured, "well, it's warpaint..."

patteeu 04-26-2005 07:16 AM

Adam Teicher is a guest every week on 610's afternoon show (formerly Whitlock's show) and he has been saying for a while now that he wouldn't be at all surprised if the Chiefs reach an injury settlement with Barber. His impression is that the injury was pretty serious. But keep in mind that this is just conjecture, he's not reporting it as a fact.

Kyle401 04-26-2005 07:43 AM

That would suck. I think that this season with the additions we have made, Barber would finally get a chance to prove he is not a FA bust. If we end up cutting him, he will probably go back to Philly and revive his career (a la J. Trotter).

ROYC75 04-26-2005 08:08 AM

If Barber does not play this year, I would bet his career is over and ready for a "REAL JOB " ( CP slander ).

His knee was a complete rebuild, it takes 2 years for that to become full strength again.

Hoover 04-26-2005 08:14 AM

On the other side of things, cutting Barber and Morton could mean additional FA help after June 1.

While I don't care about Morton, If Barber goes, that OK because we still have Fujita and Fox. I say let the youth Movement begin.

AirForceChief 04-26-2005 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
If Barber does not play this year, I would bet his career is over and ready for a "REAL JOB " ( CP slander ).

His knee was a complete rebuild, it takes 2 years for that to become full strength again.

Completely rebuilt knee? I assume you mean anterior and exterior cruciate ligaments as well as the miniscus (I know I've probably mis-spelled some of these body parts)? What was the extent of the injury. Beyond "significant" and "serious" I don't recall an exact diagnosis...any help?

ROYC75 04-26-2005 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirForceChief
Completely rebuilt knee? I assume you mean anterior and exterior cruciate ligaments as well as the miniscus (I know I've probably mis-spelled some of these body parts)? What was the extent of the injury. Beyond "significant" and "serious" I don't recall an exact diagnosis...any help?

I recall DV last year saying that it was major. They had to rebuild it back, not known if it could be career ending, we'll know more in a few weeks from the doctors. ( or something similar to this )

Skip Towne 04-26-2005 08:49 AM

I heard they had to put in a new splatum. That's serious.

Kyle401 04-26-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirForceChief

There are three major "CL" ligaments in the knee. The Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) prevents hyper-extension (bending forward) of the knee. The Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) prevents the Femur from sliding forward off the Tibia when planting with the knee bent. And the Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) provides lateral stability by connecting the Femur and the Tibia.

Veiw of the knee structure looking from the back of the knee.

http://www.basp.org.uk/_borders/Image12.gif

The ACL is the most commonly torn ligament and, consequently the most well known. Surgery is required to repair almost all ACL ruptures. MCL tears are common for football players, frequently resulting from being tackled at the knees from the side. Depending on severity, MCL tears may be treated non-surgically. PCL tears are the least common of the group and may be treated non-surgically depending on the severity. Almost all complete ruputures of the PCL require surgery, especially if the patient wishes to resume high level athletic activity.

It is common to have multiple ligaments torn and frequently the cartilage pad (meniscus) between the Tibia and Femur is injured in multiple tears. One of the more common combinations is a ruptured ACL, partial or fully ruptured MCL, with a medial meniscus tear.

Disclaimer: this is pretty much what I recall from the various brochures and discussions I had with my surgeon prior to and following my knee surgery. I had a complete ACL rupture, partial MCL, and medial meniscus tear.

DaWolf 04-26-2005 09:17 AM

I dunno. After all the "Priest Holmes' career is over and the Chiefs are just hiding it" talk a couple of years back even with Carl and Dick saying that Priest was gonna be fine, I just am gonna wait and see.

Carl and Dick seem to indicate Barber may be ready by the opener and is ahead of schedule, so I've got little reason to disbelieve them. It makes little sense for them to talk about a guy being on track to recover by the opener if they're planning on cutting him way before then...

KChiefs1 04-26-2005 09:19 AM

I wouldn't count on Barber this year.

Mr. Laz 04-26-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf
Carl and Dick seem to indicate Barber may be ready by the opener and is ahead of schedule, so I've got little reason to disbelieve them. It makes little sense for them to talk about a guy being on track to recover by the opener if they're planning on cutting him way before then...

i worry that he'll be ready for the season opener but won't be READY for the season opener.

i hope we don't burn 3/4 games in the season before we decide that barber isn't really full speed yet and we have to make changes during the season.

Mr. Laz 04-26-2005 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
I heard they had to put in a new splatum. That's serious.

:spock:

ROYC75 04-26-2005 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
i worry that he'll be ready for the season opener but won't be READY for the season opener.

i hope we don't burn 3/4 games in the season before we decide that barber isn't really full speed yet and we have to make changes during the season.

No kidding ..... :rolleyes: