ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Thanksgiving Day Footbal Sucks... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105170)

Taco John 11-26-2004 04:44 PM

Thanksgiving Day Footbal Sucks...

This is going to be sacriligious, what I'm about to say. But I'm ok with saying it.

Thanksgiving Day football sucks.

There I said it. It's lame. I can't stand watching it. Always with Detroit and Dallas, two of the most boring teams in the league. I couldn't stand to watch it. So we watched poker on ESPN instead. I couldn't believe it. It had never happened to me before. Normally, I'd grunt and groan and ask to switch back to see the score so many times that we'd just end up watching football. But I've had enough. I no longer care if I watch Thanksgiving day football anymore (unless of course, the Broncos are playing). I can't see why I should waste my time on the crappy Thanksgiving day line-up we're force fed every year.

My solution, which NFL executives are too stupid to implement (I said it), is to give Thanksgiving day home games to the AFC and NFC champions from the year previous. Thanksgiving is supposed to signal the start of the playoff race, so why watch two perennial busts when we could be watching playoff important football? It makes no sense.

And why stop there? How about a Friday night prime time game? Maybe you give it to the loser of either the AFC or NFC championship game (alternate each year?). I sure as hell would watch.

And still why stop there? Give us some Saturday football. An AFC and an NFC game. Of course cap it off with Sunday games... Maybe a Monday nighter (if you're not just switching the Monday Nighter to the Friday Night game).

My idea would provide a hell of a kick-off for the last quarter of the season. The football would actually be interesting, instead of watching Indianapolis blow out Detroit in a game that doesn't matter, or Dallas and Detroit playing keystone cops football in a game that doesn't matter.

But as the status quo stands, Thanksgiving Day football sucks.

tk13 11-26-2004 04:51 PM

It used to be good back in the mid-90's when the Lions had Barry Sanders and Dallas was really good so you were assured of seeing a top-notch matchup. The last 5 years or so it has kinda sucked though....

Rausch 11-26-2004 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
It used to be good back in the mid-90's when the Lions had Barry Sanders and Dallas was really good so you were assured of seeing a top-notch matchup. The last 5 years or so it has kinda sucked though....

I know it's tradition and bla bla bla but I'd prefer to see a rematch of the AFC and NFC championchip game from the previous year.

Yeah, it might end up just as big a stinker but at least it wouldn't be the SAME stinker every year.

Skip Towne 11-26-2004 05:02 PM

The old AFL did well with Saturday football. So well, in fact.......well, you know the rest.

BIG_DADDY 11-26-2004 05:08 PM

We need new teams for Thanksgiving like say the defending world champions and another game.

The Bad Guy 11-26-2004 05:11 PM

The reason the games are so shitty on Thanksgiving is because people would watch it regardless.

Save the marquee matchups for MNF.

dirk digler 11-26-2004 05:12 PM

You need to bitch and moan to the NFL and to your favorite owner, Pat Bowlen.

Lamar Hunt has been advocating for the last 10 years at the owners meeting to switch up Thanksgiving Day games so other teams can play and get exposure.

It always gets defeated so maybe you can talk Pat into voting for it next time.

alanm 11-26-2004 05:25 PM

Day after Thanksgiving football sucked too. Especially with Nebraskas season going down the tubes the way it did.:banghead: Truely dissapointed. 35 and 43 yrs of history down the drain.:deevee: Nowhere to go but up now.:thumb:

SoCalRaider 11-26-2004 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
This is going to be sacriligious, what I'm about to say. But I'm ok with saying it.

Thanksgiving Day football sucks.

There I said it. It's lame. I can't stand watching it. Always with Detroit and Dallas, two of the most boring teams in the league.

It could be worse... we could be watching that other team that starts with a 'D'... you know the one that (*violated the salary cap during its only championship seasons). :)

SoCalRaider 11-26-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy
The reason the games are so shitty on Thanksgiving is because people would watch it regardless.

Good to see somebody's at least able to think before they post... :thumb:

Skip Towne 11-26-2004 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm
Day after Thanksgiving football sucked too. Especially with Nebraskas season going down the tubes the way it did.:banghead: Truely dissapointed. 35 and 43 yrs of history down the drain.:deevee: Nowhere to go but up now.:thumb:

Not really. You have C_allahan. You can go even further down.

Bob Dole 11-26-2004 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy

Then make it home games for the teams that had the first 2 draft picks and make it mandatory that those draft picks play.

philfree 11-26-2004 07:16 PM

My only gripe about Thanksgiving Day NFL is that the Cows and the Lies always get to play at home. If they want to play every year on T-Day that's fine with me but they should have to be on the road every other year. The homefield advantage should be spread around IMO.

PhilFree :arrow:

Bwana 11-26-2004 07:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. This Lion / Plow boy thing is getting old.

alanm 11-26-2004 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Not really. You have C_allahan. You can go even further down.

No, If we have another year like this year Calahan WILL be gone. Then maybe we can have the HC I wanted and the expected heir apparent after T.O. retired. Turner Gill.