ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Afternoon practice session 8-5 TORRENT (always wanted to put that in my topics) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=120949)

Chiefs Pantalones 08-05-2005 08:39 PM

Afternoon practice session 8-5 TORRENT (always wanted to put that in my topics)

Friday, Aug. 5 , 2005 Afternoon
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

It was a beautiful day for practice at the Ramer Field Sports Complex this afternoon. The temperature was 84 degrees with a dew point of 53 degrees. The wind was from the southwest at four miles per hour. About 500 fans attended the practice that was held in bright sunshine.

Offense

Running backs used the gauntlet for the first time this year at training camp. Running backs Coach James Saxon was very animated through the drill, and was offering advice to his players. "Get him down, hit and run, eyes up, eyes up." Running backs also practiced with the one-man sled today. "You're making it look easy," was Saxon's comments to the players.

Defensive tackle John Browning and guard Will Shields were working on conditioning at today's afternoon practice, by running up and down the sidelines.

During the first session of 11-on-11's this afternoon, wide receiver Jeris McIntyre had a fantastic, arm stretched out catch for 15-yards from quarterback Todd Collins. Fans were very excited, and were yelling to McIntyre, "Nice Catch!!!!"

The second series of 11-on-11's emphasized running the ball. Running backs Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, and Dee Brown all received a lot of hand offs during this drill.

In the final series of 11-on-11's a hurry up offense was ran for the first time this camp. When starting the drill the clock was set at a 1:35. Quarterback Trent Green was 4-7. On the first play Green hit Dante Hall for 10-yards and Hall able to get of bounds to stop the clock. On the second play Hall caught a pass of 10-yards from and got out of bounds with :53 to go. The next play was an incomplete pass that stopped the clock with :48 to go. Hall caught a sideline pass next for another 10-yard gain. He got out of bounds with :41 to go. Green then hit wide receiver Eddie Kennison for 15-yards but he was tackled in bounds. Green grounded the ball to stop the clock with :30 to go. Green tried to hit wide receiver Chris Horn but the pass fell incomplete and that ended the series.

The second unit also ran the hurry-up offense. Quarterback Todd Collins was 2-3 in the series. Wide receiver Marc Boerigter caught one pass for 10-yards, and wide receiver John Booth made a leaping catch for a gain of about 10. The series ended with an interception in the end zone by safety Willie Pile.

Running back Priest Holmes was stopped after practice for a couple of questions. One question that was asked was how he feels he has rubbed off on Larry Johnson Holmes replied, "Most of LJ's physical abilities I don't add anything to. The fact that coming out of Penn State he was a 2,000-yard rusher - he has the capabilities and the skill. I think I can just be someone that he can actually look towards and lean on if needed. You know there's going to be a few times that we'll be in the back field together; we have a certain package where we'll do that. So it's going to be exciting to see exactly what we can do. It reminds me of the time playing with Jamal and Ricky in terms of having that thread there. I think you have a better opportunity being a running back to feel more secure having a man with you at all times."

"Well I think with (tight end) Kris Wilson, one of the biggest upsets last year was when he got injured," continued Holmes. "I think this year he's on track in making a strong comeback and is going to be really special in nickel situations. When he comes in there, we might have two tight ends with himself and Tony Gonzalez."

"There is definitely something really tricky about the playbook, it's a matter of being in it and making one play after another," says Holmes about new plays appearing in this year's playbook.
Running back Samkon Gado was injured during 11-on-11 drills during this afternoon's practice. Coach Dick Vermeil said that the injury he had while rushing the ball was a neck burner, and that he is fine. Vermeil said that during the scare, "Sam said to me, 'Coach I can walk off the field,' but they wouldn't allow that," and the trainers went through the whole routine to be safe. Gado was sent to the local clinic for a MRI and for further evaluation. But Vermeil stated that it is not serious, and he is fine. As Gado was being carted off the field, the fans, as well as the players, gave him a round of applause.

Defense

Defensive end Carlos Hall did not practice today. Coach Dick Vermeil stated that he will be out on the field, "as soon as he can practice without re-injuring his elbow." Vermeil also stated that whenever he starts to feel really good and ready to go, "his elbow starts to hurt all over again." Vermeil said that Hall, "needs to work, and it is disappointing not having him out there."

Several defensive players were not practicing today. Out from the defensive line was John Browning, Carlos Hall, Montique Sharpe, and Junior Siavii. Linebackers not practicing were Shawn Barber, Mike Maslowski and Quinton Caver. The only defensive back not practicing was safety Jerome Woods.

Rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson put on a show for the crowd this afternoon, and showed the veterans that he ready to play. During the first set of 11-on-11 drills, the rookie knocked the ball out of superstar tight end Tony Gonzalez's hand, which made the crowd go wild. During 7-on-7 drills, Johnson put on a huge hit on running back Priest Holmes that caused Holmes to drop a pass.

Two defensive backs teamed up during 11-on-11 drills to make one big play. Safety William Bartee tipped a pass from quarterback Todd Collins, but couldn't quite make the interception. But cornerback Eric Warfield just happened to be right behind Bartee in the end zone, and was able to make the interception before the ball hit the ground.

Special Teams

Special teams ran two different series today. In the first series kickoffs were emphasized. Kicker Lawrence Tynes kicked the ball about 10 times averaging about 70-yards. Kickoff coverage was practiced during the first session. Special teams coach Frank Gansz, Jr had many tips for his players, "squeeze it, squeeze it, get there!!" were a few observations he made

In the second series of special teams kicker Lawrence Tynes did about five kickoffs and punter Dustin Colquitt had a handful of punts. The last punt that Colquitt made had a long hang time of about five seconds. The crowd went wild to see such a great punt at the end of the session.

When asked if training camp been different this year than other years, long snapper Kendall Gammon said, "It's been a little hotter here, a few humid days, other than that it's about the same thing. Certainly having the new training room makes a big difference just in terms of how comfortable it is when you get over there. But what it comes down to is it's my 14 th year and it's still training camp. I just go about my business, and try to get my work done, have a good time, try to set an example when I have the time out there."
Fans

Mike and Joyce Timmerman, Independence, Mo., are attending Summer Training Camp for the first time. Mike is enthralled by the chance to see how the new guys are performing. Of all of his Chiefs memories, he most vividly remembers when the Chiefs lost to Miami in the "longest game." It was a six-and-a-half quarter playoff game in 1971. One of Joyce's first experiences with the Chiefs was when the team won the Super Bowl in 1969. "I remember Len Dawson making an amazing play, and then my Mom jumping up and down on the couch because she was so excited!" Mike predicts that the team will go 12-4 this year and will make the playoffs for sure. The couple drove their motorcycles to River Falls and are very impressed with the town. Joyce said, "I can see why the Chiefs come here. They can concentrate on what they are doing." The Timmerman's are staying until Sunday.

Judy Kramps, Lees Summit, Mo., is accompanied by her husband and her two granddaughters. Her all-time favorite Chiefs' players are quarterback Len Dawson and wide receiver Otis Taylor. She even attends the same workout club as Taylor. While she is partial to the players from the past, her granddaughters are fans of running back Priest Holmes, wide receiver Dante Hall and quarterback Trent Green. She remembers going to a Chiefs game with her husband and her three children in which both teams were undefeated. "Originally, we bought tickets to a game that was not supposed to be popular. It ended up being the biggest game on TV, and all the tickets were sold. The Chiefs won when Otis Taylor carried three defenders on his back into the end zone for a touchdown." Kramps used to get extremely upset when the Chiefs would lose. "I would get so mad that I'd only make the kids peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner," she said with a chuckle. This is the second time Kramps has been to camp.

Nancy Wakefield and Mona and Russ Hervey arrived in River Falls Sunday evening. Mona enjoys watching wide receiver Marc Boerigter while Nancy likes defensive end Eric Hicks and tackle Willie Roaf. All are season ticket holders, but admit that the main reason they go to games is for the tailgating. They own a party bus that holds 20-25 people and it is full before every game at Arrowhead Stadium. "It is an amazing feeling to be outside of Arrowhead with all the scents of smoke and barbecue," said Nancy. "It can't get any better." The trio expects the team to go 13-3 this season and is excited to begin tailgating again. They are all from Kansas City.

Tom and Brenda Dwyer, Blue Springs, Mo. , are attending their second Summer Training Camp. Brenda believes that quarterback Trent Green and long snapper Kendall Gammon are the most intriguing players on the team to watch, while Tom is impressed by the play of tight end Tony Gonzalez. The couple is hoping that the Chiefs will be in the Super Bowl this year. "They will definitely surprise people," says Tom. The couple is also fond of the Chiefs' owner: "I am hoping the team will do well this year for Lamar Hunt," says Brenda. On this trip, the Dwyer's are also hoping to visit a cheese factory and the SPAM Museum in Austin, Minn.
Extra, Extra…Read All About It!

During this afternoon's practice, officials from the NFL were on hand. Coach Dick Vermeil stated that, "it's always nice to have them here, because a week from tonight we'll be playing a game." The presence of the officials starts making practices more game like. There are not many changes this year with rules that the players need to be aware of, but the officials are generally there to show the players what they can and can not do.

Today after practice, a few players played a special game of catch. Quarterback Trent Green and long snapper Kendall Gammon both had their families on the practice field and played catch and ran around for about 20 minutes.

Wide receiver John Booth signed autographs for fans after practice today. Also, guard Will Shields signed autographs on his way out of the building.

Quarterback James Kilian worked with Coach Terry Shea on dropping back and throwing to his right following practice. Kilian threw to wide receiver Nathaniel Curry.
With the rest of the team working on special teams play, the quarterbacks worked on passing accuracy on another field. A frame with netting was set up in the left corner of the end zone and the quarterbacks took turns working on a five-step drop and throwing to the spot. Quarterback Trent Green's family, wife Julie and sons T.J. and Derek, were watching the drill from 25 yards away. Green was first and his first attempt missed wide right. A small cheer was heard and Green looked at his family and said with a laugh, "Thanks D - I appreciate it!" Green's next two passes also missed to the right and his last two attempts hit the frame. Up next was Todd Collins who hit the frame on his first two tries and then put the third in. Damon Huard was short on his first pass, he hit the frame on the second and was good on the third. James Kilian missed right on his first two tries and then was good. Green came up again and on his first try he missed long. On his second try he finally hit the mark. There was a loud cheer from his family and Julie said,"I think I heard a "finally" over here!" Collins had two last tries and he was short on the first and made the second.

RedDread 08-05-2005 08:44 PM

you bastard! I want my afternoon practice session TORRENT!

Nightfyre 08-05-2005 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder
Defensive end Carlos Hall did not practice today. Coach Dick Vermeil stated that he will be out on the field, "as soon as he can practice without re-injuring his elbow." Vermeil also stated that whenever he starts to feel really good and ready to go, "his elbow starts to hurt all over again." Vermeil said that Hall, "needs to work, and it is disappointing not having him out there."

He might end up being the steal of the year if he can get reps and stay healthy... So might bell. So might Johnson. :hmmm:

Quote:

Safety William Bartee tipped a pass from quarterback Todd Collins, but couldn't quite make the interception.
Big surprise...

Chiefs Pantalones 08-05-2005 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseWolf
you bastard! I want my afternoon practice session TORRENT!

I'm sorry. It will never happen again TORRENT

penguinz 08-05-2005 08:48 PM

Quote:

Safety William Bartee tipped a pass from quarterback Todd Collins, but couldn't quite make the interception.
Nice to see Bartee has not lost a step from last season.

Nightfyre 08-05-2005 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz
Nice to see Bartee has not lost a step from last season.

Too slow...

penguinz 08-05-2005 08:51 PM

knew I should have refreshed before posting.

chefsos 08-05-2005 08:55 PM

Seems to be the Quote of the Day.

Quote:

I sometimes wonder if the kids who write this stuff have any idea how hilarious/frustrating it is to us.