ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals What Baseball Was Like in KC: 1956 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276210)

gblowfish 09-13-2013 09:21 AM

What Baseball Was Like in KC: 1956

Found this old "newsreel" on You Tube about the 1956 Kansas City Athletics. Cool to see the old stadium and shots of old KC.

Screw Charlie Finley....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JDQRE2dfcB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fansy the Famous Bard 09-13-2013 10:06 AM

The best is everyone walking across the field to leave the stadium afterwards ROFL

ChiefsCountry 09-13-2013 10:26 AM

Was the hats black or navy? You really can't tell in that video.

Prison Bitch 09-13-2013 10:33 AM

Like the Dallas Texans, we got a franchise who was the ugly stepsister of their original home city to give us a shot. Should've gone after the STL Browns who moved to Baltimore 3 years before the A's did. And who provided a much more stable ownership situation that likely would've never left.

BlackHelicopters 09-13-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9969815)
Was the hats black or navy? You really can't tell in that video.

Navy, I think?

ChiefsCountry 09-13-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9969839)
Like the Dallas Texans, we got a franchise who was the ugly stepsister of their original home city to give us a shot. Should've gone after the STL Browns who moved to Baltimore 3 years before the A's did. And who provided a much more stable ownership situation that likely would've never left.

Browns moved to Baltimore in 1954, when Baltimore businessmen bought the team from Mike Veeck. The A's moved to Kansas City in 1955.

WilliamTheIrish 09-13-2013 10:49 AM

Navy hats. And they had the elephant on the sleeve of the jersey. I never saw them. Just looked em up. I have the Navy lid. It's gorgeous.

WhawhaWhat 09-13-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

KC tried to get several teams before they finally landed the A's. Of course, the A's turned out to be the AAAA affiliate of the Yankees before Charlie Finley bought them and moved to Oakland years later.

Kidd Lex 09-13-2013 10:52 AM

We should have saved that 1956 sweep of the tigers for now. Hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

WilliamTheIrish 09-13-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

So many what ifs..

I think back to when they left and 4 years later were in the process of winning a trifecta of World Series. All those great players were beginning to show up on the farm and on the roster.

All these guys were on the 67 roster. F'ing Finley. We were so close.

Campy
Catfish
Rudi
Reggie - came up in June
Cap'n Sal.
Blue Moon Odom.

eDave 09-13-2013 11:05 AM

Great slide into 2nd starting at 11:45

teedubya 09-13-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 9969908)
So many what ifs..

I think back to when they left and 4 years later were in the process of winning a trifecta of World Series. All those great players were beginning to show up on the farm and on the roster.

All these guys were on the 67 roster. F'ing Finley. We were so close.

Campy
Catfish
Rudi
Reggie - came up in June
Cap'n Sal.
Blue Moon Odom.

That dynasty would have been KC's... Although, I have a sneaky suspicion that the KC Monarchs used up most all of KC's championship karma.

Prison Bitch 09-13-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9969878)
Browns moved to Baltimore in 1954, when Baltimore businessmen bought the team from Mike Veeck. The A's moved to Kansas City in 1955.

I know, Veeck had to sell them. We got a flake who was unstable and undercapitalized. I didn't know the A's moved in '55 though.

ChiefsCountry 09-13-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9970175)
I know, Veeck had to sell them. We got a flake who was unstable and undercapitalized. I didn't know the A's moved in '55 though.

Not really true. Arnold Johnson who moved the team here had money. Trouble was he was in bed with the Yankees owners. He owned Yankee Stadium and Blues Stadium (which was Municipal). Then he ran the A's like a Yankees farm club, since the Yankees ownership group was buddies with him. He died and his widow sold the team to Finley.

Prison Bitch 09-13-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9970189)
Not really true. Arnold Johnson who moved the team here had money. Trouble was he was in bed with the Yankees owners. He owned Yankee Stadium and Blues Stadium (which was Municipal). Then he ran the A's like a Yankees farm club, since the Yankees ownership group was buddies with him. He died and his widow sold the team to Finley.

Interesting. Did not know that. I just always associated the A's with Charlie O. And how much my dad hated him.