ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Recommend HDMI-to-SVIdeo convertor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269889)

Frankie 02-10-2013 01:15 PM

Recommend HDMI-to-SVIdeo convertor

My projector is set up for S-Video as its best means of video connection. My new Bluray/DVD player does not have a S-Video port. But it has an HDMI one. Sine that port is being used on the HDTV on the wall I need to buy the next two items to make my projector operational again:

1- An HDMI splitter that will allow me a second HDMI port for the projector.

2- An HDMI-to-SVideo convertor for the projector.

Please advise on the pitfalls to avoid in ordering them online. I have found a range of prices and want to get the best for the buck. I hate going cheap and finding my projection quality suffer. On the other hand I don't want to spend more than I should to get good results. Do you have any brands/models to recommend? If the quality and the price are direct functions of each other what's the price range I should expect?

Thanks

mnchiefsguy 02-10-2013 01:29 PM

monoprice.com has this type of thing, and they have a good reputation for quality and pricing.

PaulAllen 02-10-2013 06:18 PM

Time for a new projector.

DaFace 02-10-2013 06:34 PM

Let me get this straight - you're going to run a bluray player through an S-Video connection, and you're worried about the connections causing poor video quality?

That's kind of like saying you're going to take your minivan to the race track and are worried about the gas you use slowing you down.

loochy 02-10-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9391607)
monoprice.com has this type of thing, and they have a good reputation for quality and pricing.

This. Monprice will definitely have what you need, has good quality products, and the prices are good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulAllen (Post 9392140)

This is what I was really thinking. S video is so....late 90s.

CrazyPhuD 02-10-2013 07:12 PM

Honestly you're better off buying a new projector that has an HDMI port. Part of it is because then the content will be displayed in HD and the other part is that while you may find a converter that says it does HDMI to S-Video, in more that 80% of the cases it won't work for you. Why? HDMI has this feature called HDCP, which is an encryption system that encrypts the HDMI connection. Most of the HDMI to s-Video converters would require that the HDMI signal be sent without HDCP which won't happen for any bluray.

There are some things that strip HDCP but they can be iffy as to how well they work and THEN you have to go buy a converter box. In short to actually do it right is going to be quite a bit more expensive than you think. You're better off buying a new projector if that's what you want to use rather than trying to jury rig a solution.

chasedude 02-10-2013 07:15 PM

Agreed with everyone else, Get an HD projector. It's like buying a new CD and playing it on shitty mono speakers. You're not going to enjoy the quality Bluray can offer you.

chasedude 02-10-2013 07:20 PM

Although I don't have alot of buying experience with buying projectors, I have worked with different makes in the past. Here's an ACER only 720p but nice price and decent reviews

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009223

Edit: Oh yeah, FREE SHIPPING

Frankie 02-10-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulAllen (Post 9392140)

Not for another couple of years. When the price of 3D ones come down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9392164)
Let me get this straight - you're going to run a bluray player through an S-Video connection, and you're worried about the connections causing poor video quality?

That's kind of like saying you're going to take your minivan to the race track and are worried about the gas you use slowing you down.

Blu-Rays AND DVDs. I should at least get S-Video quality. I don't want to buy any device that reduces even that quality. I was hoping someone could direct me to a particular brand that has good reviews or a review page that covers the items I mentioned.

Frankie 02-10-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9392208)
Honestly you're better off buying a new projector that has an HDMI port. Part of it is because then the content will be displayed in HD and the other part is that while you may find a converter that says it does HDMI to S-Video, in more that 80% of the cases it won't work for you. Why? HDMI has this feature called HDCP, which is an encryption system that encrypts the HDMI connection. Most of the HDMI to s-Video converters would require that the HDMI signal be sent without HDCP which won't happen for any bluray.

There are some things that strip HDCP but they can be iffy as to how well they work and THEN you have to go buy a converter box. In short to actually do it right is going to be quite a bit more expensive than you think. You're better off buying a new projector if that's what you want to use rather than trying to jury rig a solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 9392213)
Agreed with everyone else, Get an HD projector. It's like buying a new CD and playing it on shitty mono speakers. You're not going to enjoy the quality Bluray can offer you.

Will it play the Blu-Ray in a DVD quality for now? Buying a new projector is not an option yet.

CPD are you saying that it will definitely not show any Blu-Ray? Or will it show them (I'm repeating myself) with only a DVD quality?

CrazyPhuD 02-10-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9392388)
Will it play the Blu-Ray in a DVD quality for now? Buying a new projector is not an option yet.

Without a device to strip the HDCP encryption I don't think either DVDs or Blurays would play. All protected content would require it, including DVDs. You'd have an encrypted signal that would just be noise. Are you sure there is no analog connectors on the bluray player? I would have thought that most still come with component video, but maybe not anymore.

HDMI is a lossless digital signal and HDCP was put into place to try to prevent people from being able to copy the digital data directly.

Frankie 02-10-2013 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9392820)
Without a device to strip the HDCP encryption I don't think either DVDs or Blurays would play. All protected content would require it, including DVDs. You'd have an encrypted signal that would just be noise. Are you sure there is no analog connectors on the bluray player? I would have thought that most still come with component video, but maybe not anymore.

HDMI is a lossless digital signal and HDCP was put into place to try to prevent people from being able to copy the digital data directly.

Here's a pic showing the backs of my player and the projector. I suppose my only other choice is to go RCA but that would be a lot more quality lost. :(

CrazyPhuD 02-10-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9392847)
Here's a pic showing the backs of my player and the projector. I suppose my only other choice is to go RCA but that would be a lot more quality lost. :(

Yup RCA will work but you might have to disconnect the HDMI when you use it. Still I wouldn't worry TOO much about the difference between RCA and S-Video. The only real difference is that S-Video separates the Luma and the Chroma signals where composite(RCA) video uses one channel to send both. With old equipment it used to matter more. With new equipment not so much.

DaveNull 02-11-2013 06:33 AM

You might have luck trying to use that DVI port.

loochy 02-11-2013 06:49 AM

Just use the RCA. It's simple and I bet you already have the necessary cables. I never noticed a difference between that and RCA and component on low definition devices anyway.