ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink ****Official Thanksgiving Menu Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278721)

Fire Me Boy! 11-18-2013 02:06 PM

****Official Thanksgiving Menu Thread****

So what's on the menu this year?

Fire Me Boy! 11-18-2013 02:06 PM

It's just me and my wife this year, so we won't be doing a huge spread. Thanksgiving Day is also my wife's birthday, and she wants me to do some duck. I'm thinking about getting some duck boobs and doing them sous vide. And with Thanksgiving and her birthday, dressing and mashed potatoes are non-optional, so we'll do that, too. Not sure what else we're doing, so I'm looking here for ideas.

Nzoner 11-18-2013 02:12 PM

As long as I get my candied yams with marshmallows and chilled cranberry sauce I'll be good.

Graystoke 11-18-2013 02:55 PM

My kids will be gone over the Thanksgiving Holiday again this year, so we typically cook Indian Cusine on the Tandoori. We have not came up with the menu, but I imagine it will be Lamb or Chicken, with some Naan and side dishes like Dal makhani, Chole bhature etc..

I love getting the Naan bread ready. I normally save half for the Tandoori and the other half I will just bake in the conventional oven with lots of Olive Oil and Salt, or my favorite lightly cooked onions on top with parmesan cheese.

Fire Me Boy! 11-18-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 10202490)
My kids will be gone over the Thanksgiving Holiday again this year, so we typically cook Indian Cusine on the Tandoori. We have not came up with the menu, but I imagine it will be Lamb or Chicken, with some Naan and side dishes like Dal makhani, Chole bhature etc..

I love getting the Naan bread ready. I normally save half for the Tandoori and the other half I will just bake in the conventional oven with lots of Olive Oil and Salt, or my favorite lightly cooked onions on top with parmesan cheese.

Outdoor tandoori? Do you have a pic?

TrebMaxx 11-18-2013 03:01 PM

With the duck I would suggest Kartoffel dumplings instead of mashed potatoes. Best dish I had when I was in Germany, duck and kartoffel dumplings with duck gravy.

Dayze 11-18-2013 03:01 PM

Turkey.

Fire Me Boy! 11-18-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 10202510)
With the duck I would suggest Kartoffel dumplings instead of mashed potatoes. Best dish I had when I was in Germany, duck and kartoffel dumplings with duck gravy.

That sounds excellent, and I'll have to find a recipe and try them. But there is absolutely zero chance the wife lets me get by without making mashed potatoes.

jd1020 11-18-2013 03:03 PM

Duck. Got 4 from my brother.

Havent figured out what else, yet.

Fire Me Boy! 11-18-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10202518)
Duck. Got 4 from my brother.

Havent figured out what else, yet.

How will you do the duck?

TrebMaxx 11-18-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10202517)
That sounds excellent, and I'll have to find a recipe and try them. But there is absolutely zero chance the wife lets me get by without making mashed potatoes.

There are a lot of recipes out there if you google them. I also use this place http://www.germandeli.com/ for my German food fix. Reminds me I need to order some Bratwurst...

jd1020 11-18-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10202527)
How will you do the duck?

I havent thought that far ahead yet.

Probably just roast it with a little rub and baste it with butter.

Fire Me Boy! 11-18-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10202645)
I havent thought that far ahead yet.

You're useless to me.

;)

Just Passin' By 11-18-2013 04:51 PM

Because of military deployment issues, we're having 2 Thanksgiving meals this year. We had the first this past weekend:

Snacks (queso, salsa, hummus, chips)

Turkey and gravy
Ham
Garlic mashed potatoes
Portuguese stuffing
Asparagus
Pickled beets

Desserts (pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, apple pie, tapioca pudding)

Since we're going to someone else's house for Thanksgiving #2 (on the actual Thanksgiving day) we're more at the mercy of others (I know there will be a turkey, but that's all I've been informed of so far). We'll probably bring a homemade clam dip, maybe some Brussels sprouts lardons, and probably a pie.

The duck idea sounds great, though.

Katipan 11-18-2013 05:01 PM

I have to make stuffing for people that don't eat vegetables.

wtf is that? moist bread??