ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Fracking to lead to a new golden age? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266988)

ROYC75 11-23-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9144311)
someone will post soon about that being a myth.

Myth ? No, certain fracking fluids are just not suitable around water tables. A lot of alternative fracking fluids is being looked at now because of the concern from the environmentalist.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...ale-wells.html

Icon 11-23-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9144271)
I hear fracking and I think of that video clip of that guy lighting the fracking water on fire coming out of the tap in his sink in his house.

I read where they were able to light the groundwater on fire is somewhere back east (Pennsylvania?). Apparently this is a natural phenomenon due to how shallow the hydrocarbons are to the surface. The Indians knew of this area and had a name for this which I don't recall and, no, it was not firewater. The environmentalists did not disclose this was a naturally occurring issue in their film because it opposed their agenda.

penguinz 11-23-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9144380)
Okay, please show me one instance where fracking has lead to what you are apparently claiming.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/31/news...l-us/index.htm

ROYC75 11-23-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9144380)
Okay, please show me one instance where fracking has lead to what you are apparently claiming.

It hasn't, yet. They just don't want it to.

I base a lot of my business off of the oil and gas projects in the US and it's in the pipeline news all the time somewhere.

But it's changing due to the concern, let the little birdies chirp.

Donger 11-23-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9144389)

Sorry, but you are presenting that article as evidence of a destroyed environment?

FAX 11-23-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9144394)
Sorry, but you are presenting that article as evidence of a destroyed environment?

I see nothing wrong with expressing concern for our water resource ... not that it's done much good so far, of course.

FAX

Donger 11-23-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9144402)
I see nothing wrong with expressing concern for our water resource ... not that it's done much good so far, of course.

FAX

Nor do I. But I think that such overly-dramatic and unfounded prognostications aren't exactly beneficial.

cdcox 11-23-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9144347)
In your opinion, is there any significantly greater reason to fear the environmental impact of fracking than to fear that of poorly regulated oil extraction or nuclear energy production? Or for that matter, the disposal of chemical waste?

Complicated question when you look at it from a life cycle perspective.

From the stand point of putting the well in place oil drilling and NG fracking are roughly equivalent.

The main risk of fracking a well is the impact on overall water resources (how much water are you losing to the fracking process that you might need for other uses) and the removal of pollutants from the production water (the water that comes back up the well) before disposal.

For both types of wells, I think it is important to control NG emissions during the initial period before the well is put into productive operation.

During transport there is potential for natural gas leakage. Since methane is a powerful greenhouse gas, that needs to be monitored and controlled.

Oil has to be refined and there are environmental risks associated with that process, largely regulated.

Oil is a dirtier fuel than natural gas when you burn it.

Done properly with fuel reprocessing nuclear is potentially the cleanest. Fuel reprocessing is currently politically infeasible in this country. And the number of actual accidents shows that the risk of accidents is far underestimated. The financial risk for utilities is also huge, but that isn't an environmental risk.

Chemical waste disposal doesn't really fit with the others. It is a collection of diverse operations that get rid of an environmental liability, while energy production is concerned with obtaining an asset. So I'll leave that one out.

I'll throw in coal and renewables for reference.

So I'd rank them with respect to environmental friendliness once the fracking regs come to steady state:

renewables > fracked natural gas > nuclear > oil > coal

ROYC75 11-23-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9144402)

FAX

So far nothing has happened. Oil drillers have guidelines they must go by with the fracking, especially in the area and knowing the potential it could do to waterways, above and in the ground.

Quote:

Baker Hughes Inc. (BHI), the world’s third-largest provider of fracking services, offers a fluid called “VaporFrac” that replaces almost all of the water used in fracking with nitrogen- based foam.

cdcox 11-23-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9144367)
So the video clips on you tube of people lighting their tap water on fire in the area of the country where fracking is occurring are all fake?

Bad wells. Not the fault of the technology per se.

Dave Lane 11-23-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9144302)
Just put two Great People together. Boom, instant Golden Age.

Someone has played Civilization. :LOL:

DaneMcCloud 11-23-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9144365)
It really isn't a secret. Even though some of this oil will be exported, it's still a beneficial thing for every American.

Oh, please.

Every election cycle, people claim "But gas prices were less under "John Doe"!

The POTUS nor his policies do very little, if anything, to affect the price gasoline and anyone that claims as such is either a liar uninformed.

Donger 11-23-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9144489)
Oh, please.

Every election cycle, people claim "But gas prices were less under "John Doe"!

The POTUS nor his policies do very little, if anything, to affect the price gasoline and anyone that claims as such is either a liar uninformed.

:spock:

Why are you bringing up politics?

I was referring to there relatively suddenly being a new flow of oil coming into the global market. One of the items that is very closely watched is the global spare capacity. If we start putting millions more barrels of crude into the market, it eases the space capacity concerns.

That has nothing to do with politics.

penguinz 11-23-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9144394)

Evidence that the water supply can be in danger in areas that are being fracked.

patteeu 11-23-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9144522)
Evidence that the water supply can be in danger in areas that are being fracked.

That article is about how energy companies may have difficulty finding water for fracking when water supplies are scarce, not about local people having difficulty. It's pretty unlikely that local populations will put energy company access to water ahead of their own, IMO.