ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Dutton: DeJesus agrees to long-term contract (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=136991)

tk13 03-09-2006 02:29 AM

Dutton: DeJesus agrees to long-term contract

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/14052232.htm

DeJesus agrees to contract
$13.5 million guarantee, five years for outfielder

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

SURPRISE, Ariz.— Center fielder David DeJesus is now entrenched as a cornerstone of the Royals’ future after reaching agreement Wednesday on a five-year contract that includes an option for a sixth season.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but the guaranteed portion of the deal is believed to total about $13.5 million. The value will approach $20 million if the Royals choose to exercise their option for 2011.

“I’m happy right now,” DeJesus said between games of Wednesday’s doubleheader against Milwaukee and Korea. “We finally got it done. Everybody knows how it goes back and forth.

“But we came out with a number that both sides feel is a good deal.”

The five-year deal matches Mike Sweeney’s current contract as the longest in franchise history. The guaranteed portion of DeJesus’ deal extends through the years of his eligibility for arbitration.

The option, if exercised, would cover his first season of free-agent eligibility.

“They want me here for a while,” DeJesus said, “and I want to be here. I’m happy about that. I hope that Kansas City fans feel the same way.”

The agreement is contingent on DeJesus passing a physical examination, but that seems a formality since he took such an exam just before the start of spring training.

DeJesus, 26, becomes the second member of the club’s youthful core to reach a long-term agreement. Shortstop Angel Berroa is signed through 2008 with an option for 2009.

“They’re part of what we’re trying to build here,” said assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson, who handled the club’s side of the negotiations. “David has proven he can be successful at this level. He’s a guy you feel good about holding onto.”

DeJesus became the regular center fielder after the June 24, 2004, trade that sent Carlos Beltran to Houston. DeJesus batted .287 in 96 games and was picked as the club’s player of the year.

He batted .293 last season when shoulder in late August caused him to miss 29 of the last 30 games. He also had 46 extra-base hits, including nine homers, in 122 games.

“He’s not the kind of player George (Brett) was,” manager Buddy Bell said, “but he plays that way — always with a smile on his face. I love that.”

DeJesus is the latest in the club’s long line of notable center fielders, which includes Amos Otis, Willie Wilson, Brian McRae, Johnny Damon and Beltran.

“That’s definitely a great company to be part of,” DeJesus said. “All of those guys are great players. Being linked with them is quite an honor.”

DeJesus becomes the sixth player under contract to the Royals beyond this season. Sweeney, Reggie Sanders, Scott Elarton and Elmer Dessens are signed through 2007 in addition to Berroa’s contract.

Mark Grudzielanek also has a vesting option for next season that activates if he gets 500 plate appearances.

DeJesus was the Royals’ fourth-round pick in the 2000 draft but did not play professionally in 2000 or 2001 because of an elbow injury suffered while playing at Rutgers.

He was the organization’s minor-league player of the year in 2002 and reached the majors late in 2003 after batting a combined .307 at Class AA Wichita and Class AAA Omaha.

“It was tough when I got hurt those first two years,” DeJesus said. “Then, it seemed like Carlos was going to be here for a while. But then things started to fit into place for me. I got my shot up here and took advantage of it.

“Hopefully, I can keep it going.”

kcfanXIII 03-09-2006 02:37 AM

if all of the royals played with the enthusiasim and heart as dejesus, we'd be .500 no problem.

BigChiefFan 03-09-2006 07:39 AM

Good move, he's still got a ways to go, but I'm glad to hear that he is happy in Kansas City. Seeing the amount of responses on this thread, I get the impression, most, have given up on the Royals.

JBucc 03-09-2006 07:39 AM

Awesome, now we have him for five years before he's shipped off to NY or Boston

shakesthecat 03-09-2006 07:47 AM

SPPT!

Good move by Baird, though somewhat of a no brainer.

greg63 03-09-2006 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan
Good move, he's still got a ways to go, but I'm glad to hear that he is happy in Kansas City. Seeing the amount of responses on this thread, I get the impression, most, have given up on the Royals.

...Well, I remember Kansas City having a baseball team back in 1985, but they seemed to have since then been replaced by an AAA farm team.

Infidel Goat 03-09-2006 08:32 AM

Why is it a good move?

It simply means that we can have the rights to him for one year longer than we would have anyway.

And that's only if we pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of $6.5 million that last year.

I suppose it could save us some money in arbitration if DeJesus really continues to improve, but I don't think we should expect that from a 26 year old player. He should be at his peek right about now.

--Infidel Goat

BigChiefFan 03-09-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat
Why is it a good move?

He should be at his peek right about now.

--Infidel Goat

You answered your own question.

Shootr 03-09-2006 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat
Why is it a good move?

It simply means that we can have the rights to him for one year longer than we would have anyway.

And that's only if we pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of $6.5 million that last year.

I suppose it could save us some money in arbitration if DeJesus really continues to improve, but I don't think we should expect that from a 26 year old player. He should be at his peek right about now.

--Infidel Goat

The "peek" for baseball players is late twenties early thirties. I don't think he has realized all of his potential, yet.

KevB 03-09-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan
You answered your own question.

Not really. We had his rights for several more years anyway, without this deal. Goat's point is that all this deal does is provide the R's cost certainty as it relates to his salary.

KevB 03-09-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shootr
The "peek" for baseball players is late twenties early thirties. I don't think he has realized all of his potential, yet.

What more do you expect from him in the future? He is what he is....a solid major leaguer who can help you win games. What he isn't is an impact player, nor does he have the skill set to become one IMO. He's a solid defender, a good OBP guy, and apparently a good clubhouse guy. That's valuable, and I'm glad to have him, but I think what you see is what you get at this point.

Sure-Oz 03-09-2006 10:22 AM

He reminds me of a wade boggs top player in the OF.

Reaper16 03-09-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB
What more do you expect from him in the future? He is what he is....a solid major leaguer who can help you win games. What he isn't is an impact player, nor does he have the skill set to become one IMO. He's a solid defender, a good OBP guy, and apparently a good clubhouse guy. That's valuable, and I'm glad to have him, but I think what you see is what you get at this point.

He's still improving. I think his power will improve a lil bit, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see 15 or so homers from him this year.

HemiEd 03-09-2006 11:12 AM

This is the most positive move IMO since Glass bought the Royals. It shows they have learned something from losing Beltran and Damon. David DeJesus is home grown talent just like they were and IMO has super star potential.

Dunit35 03-09-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shootr

or in your late 30's early 40's Barry Bonds style.