ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I want to hunt! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158906)

bogie 02-27-2007 05:01 PM

I want to hunt!

I have spent the last 32 years of my life working for a livin', I'm 49. I am sooo done with working for a livin' and yet I have at least 10 years to go. I hope when I retire, I am going to spend my days playing golf and hunting. Do you think that's realistic? My wife says she's okay with it. Is she telling the truth? I think I'm doing all the right things financially to be able to achieve this, but who knows what the next 10 years will bring. What are you looking forward to in your golden years?

Most probably a repost of some kind, but oh well.

Mr. Laz 02-27-2007 05:05 PM

i've give you a 10 minute head start ... then i'm coming for ya with my 12 gauge a blazing.

Simplex3 02-27-2007 05:18 PM

I'm looking forward to living until I die. Whatever happens in there is a bonus.

bogie 02-27-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
I'm looking forward to living until I die. Whatever happens in there is a bonus.

Really? Really? Don't you have a long term, when I can do what I want to do dream? Or is being alive good enough?

Simplex3 02-27-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogie
Really? Really? Don't you have a long term, when I can do what I want to do dream? Or is being alive good enough?

Nope. Dreams are tasty morsels for the rest of the world to devour while watching the distraught face of the dreamer.

That's not to say I'm not investing, but as for what I'll do when (if) I get there (where ever there is) I really have no idea.

Besides, what could be better than what you did today? And if something could have been better why didn't you do it?

Rain Man 02-27-2007 05:42 PM

I wonder what professional golfers do when they retire. Do they just sit around the house making copies and typing in spreadsheets?

bogie 02-27-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Nope. Dreams are tasty morsels for the rest of the world to devour while watching the distraught face of the dreamer.

That's not to say I'm not investing, but as for what I'll do when (if) I get there (where ever there is) I really have no idea.

Besides, what could be better than what you did today? And if something could have been better why didn't you do it?

Because I have to work and make money to keep my family sustained. So today, you did the most exciting thing you wanted to do? There's nothing you would have rather done today?

Simplex3 02-27-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Because I have to work and make money to keep my family sustained. So today, you did the most exciting thing you wanted to do? There's nothing you would have rather done today?

Nope. I woke up, kissed the kids and wife, worked to support them, came home. I'll be having dinner with them in a few minutes. What more could I ask for?

I must warn you, my philosophy on life is damn near 90% Zen Buddhist.

Here's a short description that is pretty easy to follow:

http://buddhism.about.com/library/weekly/aa021403a.htm
Quote:

He who Binds Himself to a Joy
Does the winged life destroy
He who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in Eternity's sunrise

The Lineaments of Desire

The lines above are from the English poet William Blake. Blake was a devout, albeit unconventional, Christian yet the words he wrote above resonate with the Buddha's message. Joy is permissible, it is the addiction to joy that is not. To observe a lovely sight is joyous; to cling to it is pain, suffering, dukkha. A bird in flight is a beautiful thing but a caged bird is a caged bird. Possessiveness, craving, addiction...these are all destructive to ourselves and others.

bogie 02-27-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Nope. I woke up, kissed the kids and wife, worked to support them, came home. I'll be having dinner with them in a few minutes. What more could I ask for?

I must warn you, my philosophy on life is damn near 90% Zen Buddhist.

Here's a short description that is pretty easy to follow:

http://buddhism.about.com/library/weekly/aa021403a.htm

I wish I could be as centered as you. I congratulate you. I too woke up and kissed my wife and child. We had breakfast together. I am still at work supporting them. I too will be having dinner with them. I just don't want to work for a living anymore.

Simplex3 02-27-2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

I wish I could be as centered as you. I congratulate you. I too woke up and kissed my wife and child. We had breakfast together. I am still at work supporting them. I too will be having dinner with them. I just don't want to work for a living anymore.

If you had been hunting 5 days a week for your entire adult life you wouldn't enjoy that, either. It would simply be what you do. So, enjoy hunting when you can hunt, but enjoy working while you're doing that. Why not?

bogie 02-27-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

If you had been hunting 5 days a week for your entire adult life you wouldn't enjoy that, either. It would simply be what you do. So, enjoy hunting when you can hunt, but enjoy working while you're doing that. Why not?

You're right. The grass is always greener. But after years and years of working, I would like to choose how I spend my days. Right now, to keep the life style my family knows, I need to keep working. When my daughter is out of the house and in college. I can spend my days doing what I want, not what I'm required. I look forward to that. It may very well be a let down, but I'm still looking forward to it. If I want to go squirrel, dove, turkey, quail, deer, bear, elk hunting or play 18 holes, I can.

SLAG 02-27-2007 08:04 PM

Mary Lynn Rajskub: I want a magenta horse... and I want to fly away with it... into a reddish background... and I want pixies, ohhh I want pixies...

Cult Leader Gleh'n: Good, good. Those are all do-able.

Cult Leader Gleh'n: What does Jeff Goldblum want?

Jeff Goldblum: I want my money back. And I want angels to give it to me. And pixies to count it out, and a gnome or a hobbit or an elf to sleep at the foot of my bed, and have - I just want them all over my backyard. But no matter what happens with any of that, I DO want my money back.

bogie 02-27-2007 08:07 PM

Am I in the minority that I'm thinking about the next step?

Simplex3 02-27-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Am I in the minority that I'm thinking about the next step?

No, nearly every American is thinking about the next step. You're probably in the minority that is actually planning for it and has a realizable and quantified goal.

Simplex3 02-27-2007 08:12 PM

Don't worry about those that aren't planning for their retirement, though, bogie. They'll just use the force of govt. to steal enough of yours that they get to retire too. They won't mind that it changes how you can live.