ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Could Denver's loss last night be a BAD thing for our team? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279482)

scho63 12-13-2013 07:43 AM

Could Denver's loss last night be a BAD thing for our team?

I rooted all night against Denver for them to lose and was happy for the results. I certainly didn't "root" for Phyllis Diller Rivers :#

Then it started to sink in that even though Denver lost, we still have a very low chance and tough road to win the division to have either the #1 or #2 seed in the AFC with our tie record also with New England.

So now instead of having the flexibility of resting players for health and getting more reps for a lot of the rookies and subs, we now will probably play balls out until it's all over, which maybe the very last play of the regular season against the very same Chargers that just beat Denver in their house and us at Arrowhead.

While it's exciting to see hard fought football for the entire 16 games, I'm worried our guys will be worn out when the playoffs begin. Indy may have nothing to play for when they play us, compared to us.

Thoughts? :hmmm:

Ceej 12-13-2013 07:48 AM

I've never been a fan of "resting" players.

So, I don't think it's a bad thing.

FRCDFED 12-13-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10273938)
I've never been a fan of "resting" players.

So, I don't think it's a bad thing.

This. I don't believe "resting" players (on average) has worked out very well for most teams. The only time this is beneficial is if a player is injured and needs time to heal.

hometeam 12-13-2013 08:00 AM

No, because with a little help, we still have a shot at a playoff bye. There's a week of rest.

ChiefEd 12-13-2013 08:01 AM

I was thinking the same while watching last night, scho. Our final two games kickoff at the same as Denver's so we'll have to play hard in case they lose.

If we should happen to drop one (either at Oakland or home against Indy) and Denver beats Houston (very likely), then at least we can "rest" during the Chargers game. Still start everyone of course, but not play like we need to win...

I really don't want anything riding on us beating San Diego in Week 17. Been disappointed by the annual game here too many times...

T-post Tom 12-13-2013 08:02 AM

Very legit theory. I think it would have been good to have Charles, Hali, Houston, Smith and maybe a few others sit out some portion of the last two games. Odds are against the donks losing another game. That said, if the Chiefs were to win the division, home field advantage and a week of rest sounds pretty damn sweet.

ChiefRocka 12-13-2013 08:03 AM

MOAR cold forehead!!

whoman69 12-13-2013 08:27 AM

Doncs play at the Texans and at Raiders. More than likely they win both, but you can never predict 100% certainty a divisional game. Chiefs have a pretty tough schedule with no margin for error. One loss and they are pretty much eliminated from winning the division. I would agree with limited play for those hurt.

Garcia Bronco 12-13-2013 08:28 AM

Man the season is the season. You've got finish. I wouldn't worry about this kind of thing.

King_Chief_Fan 12-13-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 10273935)
I rooted all night against Denver for them to lose and was happy for the results. I certainly didn't "root" for Phyllis Diller Rivers :#

Then it started to sink in that even though Denver lost, we still have a very low chance and tough road to win the division to have either the #1 or #2 seed in the AFC with our tie record also with New England.

So now instead of having the flexibility of resting players for health and getting more reps for a lot of the rookies and subs, we now will probably play balls out until it's all over, which maybe the very last play of the regular season against the very same Chargers that just beat Denver in their house and us at Arrowhead.

While it's exciting to see hard fought football for the entire 16 games, I'm worried our guys will be worn out when the playoffs begin. Indy may have nothing to play for when they play us, compared to us.

Thoughts? :hmmm:

the 9-7 wild card Steelers didn't seem to need rest a few years ago when they won the SB.

The loss by Denver means nothing to us. They have Houston and Oakland...meaning 2 more wins.
I am not confident that the Chiefs will have 3 more wins to match Denver at 13-3.

Simply Red 12-13-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 10273953)
MOAR cold forehead!!

ROFL

Bearcat 12-13-2013 08:36 AM

Meh, if they lose in the first round, it'll be because they're exhausted... if they win a couple of games in the playoffs, players will say it's because they were in playoff mode in mid-late December while other teams were resting.

For a team that was 2-14 last year and hasn't seen any meaningful success since Joe Montana, I think they can only benefit from as many high pressure/must win/whatever-you-want-to-call-them games as possible... and I don't think such a team would want it any other way.

TEX 12-13-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10273973)
Doncs play at the Texans and at Raiders. More than likely they win both, but you can never predict 100% certainty a divisional game. Chiefs have a pretty tough schedule with no margin for error. One loss and they are pretty much eliminated from winning the division. I would agree with limited play for those hurt.

They're pretty much eliminated now from winning the division.

Chief Roundup 12-13-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefEd (Post 10273949)
I was thinking the same while watching last night, scho. Our final two games kickoff at the same as Denver's so we'll have to play hard in case they lose.

If we should happen to drop one (either at Oakland or home against Indy) and Denver beats Houston (very likely), then at least we can "rest" during the Chargers game. Still start everyone of course, but not play like we need to win...

I really don't want anything riding on us beating San Diego in Week 17. Been disappointed by the annual game here too many times...

"You play to win the game....Hello"

It should be more like the Skins game. We get way up and we put our backups in. That is how you properly rest your starters.

Eleazar 12-13-2013 08:44 AM

If a win is meaningless, then you definitely rest your starters.

Otherwise, I'd just rest them in the second half if we were way up, like last week