ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2013 QB Prospects (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259106)

Direckshun 05-01-2012 11:00 AM

2013 QB Prospects

Below are no fewer than SIX quarterbacks to which I've given either "1st round" or "borderline 1st" grades.

Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech

Matt Barkley, USC

Tyler Bray, Tennessee (relatively unlikely he declares)

Aaron Murray, Georgia (relatively unlikely he declares)

Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Now it should be noted: with the rookie wage scale, it's preferable for QB prospects to just get into the pros whenever they can, rather than biding their time and trying to compete for a Top 5 selection. The Top 5 used to mean you were in a top 10% earner in the NFL. Now it doesn't mean much over somebody like Tannehill's #8 spot, financially.

QB hungry teams in 2013 are bolded.

Patriots -- Brady/Mallett
Bills -- Fitzpatrick
Jets -- Sanchez/Tebow
Dolphins -- Tannehill

Browns -- Weeden
Steelers -- Rothlisberger
Ravens -- Flacco
Bengals -- Dalton

Colts -- Luck
Texans -- Schaub
Jaguars -- Gabbert/Henne
Titans -- Hasselbeck/Locker

Chiefs -- Cassel
Chargers -- Rivers
Broncos -- Manning/Osweiler
Raiders -- Palmer

Cowboys -- Romo
Giants -- Manning
Redskins -- Griffin
Eagles -- Vick

Packers -- Rodgers
Vikings -- Ponder
Lions -- Stafford
Bears -- Cutler

Panthers -- Newton
Falcons -- Ryan
Buccaneers -- Freeman
Saints -- Brees

Cardinals -- Kolb
Rams -- Bradford
49ers -- Smith/Kaepernick
Seahawks -- Flynn/Wilson

6 teams that will need a QB. Maybe eight if you buy the idea that the Cowboys or Eagles could be shopping for a new one.

So assuming at least half of those QBs declare, which is a relatively conservative bet, my prediction is that the Chiefs will be drafting a new quarterback in 2013. Even if it means having to trade up for one.

The Franchise 05-01-2012 11:14 AM

Cardinals - Need a QB
Bucs - Could need one if Freeman fails
Cowboys - I see Jones giving Romo one more year.
Chiefs - Obvious reasons
Jags - If Gabbert looks as bad as last year....they'll need one.
Texans - Isn't Schaub in the last year of his contract?
Ravens - If Flacco still hasn't signed.
Jets - For obvious reason.
Bills - For obvious reasons.

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 11:14 AM

Don't sleep on Geno Smith.

There's always someone that comes out of nowhere - this year was Tannehill. At 6'3'', 214 with plus athleticism (not RGIII, but probably right around Tannehill) and good arm strenght (North of Cousins, south of Foles; probably around an 85 on a 100 pt scale; Tannehill is probably a good comparison again), he could easily move up draft boards.

And unlike Tannehill, he has some legitimately excellent production as a Jr. We'll see if he thrives during the transition to the Big 12.

The Franchise 05-01-2012 11:16 AM

http://espn.go.com/photo/2011/0216/i...ice_sy_600.jpg

Maybe?

2011 Season 242 for 362, 3063 yards, 33 TDs, 11 INTs

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8585281)
Cardinals - Need a QB
Chiefs - Obvious reasons

Now see how many of them are likely to pick ahead of us.

Unlikely:
Cowboys, Jets, Texans, Ravens

Possible:
Bills, Bucs

Goddamn well better:
Jags

The problem is the inevitable trade-up scenario. Will Pioli have the stones to actually move up to ensure we stay ahead of those guys? He's out of excuses not to at this point.

RealSNR 05-01-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8585282)
Don't sleep on Geno Smith.

There's always someone that comes out of nowhere - this year was Tannehill. At 6'3'', 214 with plus athleticism (not RGIII, but probably right around Tannehill) and good arm strenght (North of Cousins, south of Foles; probably around an 85 on a 100 pt scale; Tannehill is probably a good comparison again), he could easily move up draft boards.

And unlike Tannehill, he has some legitimately excellent production as a Jr. We'll see if he thrives during the transition to the Big 12.

This.

Smith's production was actually very similar to RGIII's penultimate year. With increased competition, another year to improve on his 4300 yards 31 TDs and 7 INTs (those are SCARY good numbers, like, mid-air scary), I see Smith being a lot like RGIII. Talked about as a 1st round pick finally by midseason, PROJECTED as a first round pick at the end of the college season, and by the end of January, assumed to be a top 5 pick in the entire draft.

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8585333)
This.

Smith's production was actually very similar to RGIII's penultimate year. With increased competition, another year to improve on his 4300 yards 31 TDs and 7 INTs (those are SCARY good numbers, like, mid-air scary), I see Smith being a lot like RGIII. Talked about as a 1st round pick finally by midseason, PROJECTED as a first round pick at the end of the college season, and by the end of January, assumed to be a top 5 pick in the entire draft.

That's kinda my thought as well.

I'm hoping I can get my 'driver' of the bandwagon role now, but ultimately I think he'll probably end up out of our range again. We'll probably end up in the mid-teens and there's probably going to be a lot of movement to try to get up to the top 5 to grab him.

I don't see him having the top-end athleticism that RGIII had (no 4.4 forty times to wow the masses), so I'm not certain he'll rocket up like RGIII did, but with Tannehill's measurables and RGIIIs production, he should be one of the more coveted QBs in the draft. And while he'll spend his last 2 seasons in the spread, he performed admirably his first 2 in a conventional offense.

Kid's the real deal, IMO.

Dante84 05-01-2012 12:16 PM

Still have hope for Stanzi.

I want to see Cassel go down week 1.

If for no other reason than WE HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HE IS CAPABLE OF.

If Stanzi doesn't have a couple games to flash, I will be pissed. If they won't give him a chance, who's to say they even draft a QB?

philfree 05-01-2012 12:22 PM

I'm not sure getting ones hopes up for any of these guys is a healthy thing. At least not starting May 1st 2012. This could become a psychosis if it hasn't manifested itself already.

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 8585431)
I'm not sure getting ones hopes up for any of these guys is a healthy thing. At least not starting May 1st 2012. This could become a psychosis if it hasn't manifested itself already.

I've already tattood his name on my eyelids.

Was that a poor decision?

suds79 05-01-2012 02:19 PM

Going to be some fun QB watching in college football next year.

Remember the 1st time I saw Tyler Bray last year for the first time. Was impressed as I never knew of him.

Just saw some youtube videos of him. Seem like he has this side armish/3 qtrs delivery? Just an observation.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xAETuQL6SX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suds79 05-01-2012 02:25 PM

Think this is a pretty interesting read also.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rback-prospect

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 02:40 PM

Nice little breakdown of prospects.

It never ceases to crack my up, however, when folks that compare players absolutely refuse to cross the race lines when they do it.

Black QB that isn't exactly a burner? Must be Josh Freeman; nah, can't be Joe Flacco - you're Josh Freeman. White guy that likes to run but can't throw for shit? Nah, you can't be Brad Smith, you have to be a less athletic Matt Jones. Besides, we need Brad Smith freed up for the other black quarterback we're talking about with Denard Robinson - let's make sure not to compare him to Eric Crouch or anything. Oh wait, lets not forget Tajh Boyd - gotta get that McNabb comparison in there somehow...

It's probably harmless in the long run, but it's still kinda funny to see it. It applies to all sports at all levels. Skill-set comparisons are never race neutral.

RealSNR 05-01-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8585814)
Nice little breakdown of prospects.

It never ceases to crack my up, however, when folks that compare players absolutely refuse to cross the race lines when they do it.

Black QB that isn't exactly a burner? Must be Josh Freeman; nah, can't be Joe Flacco - you're Josh Freeman. White guy that likes to run but can't throw for shit? Nah, you can't be Brad Smith, you have to be a less athletic Matt Jones. Besides, we need Brad Smith freed up for the other black quarterback we're talking about with Denard Robinson - let's make sure not to compare him to Eric Crouch or anything. Oh wait, lets not forget Tajh Boyd - gotta get that McNabb comparison in there somehow...

It's probably harmless in the long run, but it's still kinda funny to see it. It applies to all sports at all levels. Skill-set comparisons are never race neutral.

Nah dude they're all Randall Cunninghams.

kcbubb 05-01-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Cardinals - Need a QB
Chiefs - Obvious reasons

There is a good chance that most if not all of these teams don't draft a QB round 1 in 2013.

Bucs - Freeman reverts back to 2010 form.
Cowboys - Romo can play
Jags - Decide to give Gabbert one more year. I don't see them giving up on him after a season and a half if he shows some progress.
Texans - Schaub can play.
Ravens - Flacco is decent.
Jets - Sanchez improves.
Bills - Fitz improves with better defense.

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 04:17 PM

The Cardinals also went past their 'easy dump' point in the Kolb contract, didn't they? They have some built in bonuses that make him much harder to cut now, IIRC.

They could still draft another QB due to how cheap they are now, but it wouldn't surprise me if they move QB down their priority list due to how much they have invested in Kolb and how tough it would be to free themselves of him.

It should be a nice year if you need a QB. But the Chiefs will still screw it up somehow.

DeezNutz 05-01-2012 05:41 PM

Who is going to start the 2014 QBs thread? Should that be concurrent?

Willie Lanier 05-01-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 8585431)

ROFL

Could not agree more...

Jevan Snead anyone?

Mr. Arrowhead 05-01-2012 06:45 PM

ive conceded that will never draft a qb in the 1st round, it just isnt gonna happen

58kcfan89 05-01-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8585286)
http://espn.go.com/photo/2011/0216/i...ice_sy_600.jpg

Maybe?

2011 Season 242 for 362, 3063 yards, 33 TDs, 11 INTs

I only saw 2 games he played in, one of them being the Alamo Bowl where he went blow-for-blow with RG3. Unfortunately, Price'll be a junior this year, so he'd have to have a great season to declare (theoretically).

Titty Meat 05-01-2012 11:53 PM

Keith Price looked like a RGIII clone at times

Titty Meat 05-01-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8586055)
The Cardinals also went past their 'easy dump' point in the Kolb contract, didn't they? They have some built in bonuses that make him much harder to cut now, IIRC.

They could still draft another QB due to how cheap they are now, but it wouldn't surprise me if they move QB down their priority list due to how much they have invested in Kolb and how tough it would be to free themselves of him.

It should be a nice year if you need a QB. But the Chiefs will still screw it up somehow.

Yeah by winning the super bowl.

BryanBusby 05-02-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8585333)
This.

Lets see what Geno Smith does against some not completely terrible "Big East" Defenses before we get worked up.

Saccopoo 05-02-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 8586417)
ive conceded that will never draft a qb in the 1st round, it just isnt gonna happen

Mr. First Round right here:

http://bestcelebrityworkouts.com/wp-...quinncover.jpg

Oh, that's right...we have to draft one ourselves, thus the near homo-erotic fascination with projects like Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Tannehill.

Some people have short memories. Quinn was one of the best QB prospects that has come out recently, and simply hasn't been given an honest chance. Rookie in 2007. Broke a finger in 2008 and was out for the season. 2009 Mangini wanted Derek Anderson as his QB (and we all know how that worked out for both guys). He's only played 14 games in his pro career and it's mainly been because of dipshit coaches/bad situations (Tebow Mania).

You guys forget how good this guy was in college:

Quote:

...(Quinn) set 36 Fighting Irish records during his four seasons with the team. There were ten career records, twelve single-season records, four single-game records and ten miscellaneous records broken by Quinn throughout those four years, including the record for career pass attempts with 1,602; completions with 929; yards-per-game with 239.6; touchdown passes with 95, and the Irish's lowest interception percentage with 2.43. Quinn won 29 games as a starter at Notre Dame, tied for the most in school history.
That's the guy you draft in the first round as a QB. Experienced from a pro system, productive, hard worker, prototype size, etc.

He knows Crennel and Daboll's system. If Pioli is actually interested in winning games instead of continuing to support his (poor) decision in trading for Matt Cassel to be the starter, then Quinn should have every chance/probability of getting the job.

DaKCMan AP 05-02-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 8587080)
Lets see what Geno Smith does against some not completely terrible "Big East" Defenses before we get worked up.

The Big XII is not known for defense.

Chiefnj2 05-02-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8587056)
Keith Price looked like a RGIII clone at times

Unlike RGIII, I think Price is smaller than reported.

suds79 05-02-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8587270)
Unlike RGIII, I think Price is smaller than reported.

Yeah and Washington lists him at 6'1 195.

So he's probably 5'11 (that kills him if so) or 6'0 at best.

Frosty 05-02-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8587293)
Yeah and Washington lists him at 6'1 195.

So he's probably 5'11 (that kills him if so) or 6'0 at best.

So he's the next candidate that everyone will claim can be as good as Drew Brees?

suds79 05-02-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8587317)
So he's the next candidate that everyone will claim can be as good as Drew Brees?

:) Almost. But he's black. No way he could have a similar game to Drew Brees. He'd have to be Michael Vick.

Sofa King 05-02-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 8585417)
Still have hope for Stanzi.

I want to see Cassel go down week 1.

If for no other reason than WE HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HE IS CAPABLE OF.

If Stanzi doesn't have a couple games to flash, I will be pissed. If they won't give him a chance, who's to say they even draft a QB?

LMAO

Bewbies 05-02-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8587199)

Oh, that's right...we have to draft one ourselves, thus the near homo-erotic fascination with projects like Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Tannehill.

Some people have short memories. Quinn was one of the best QB prospects that has come out recently, and simply hasn't been given an honest chance. Rookie in 2007. Broke a finger in 2008 and was out for the season. 2009 Mangini wanted Derek Anderson as his QB (and we all know how that worked out for both guys). He's only played 14 games in his pro career and it's mainly been because of dipshit coaches/bad situations (Tebow Mania).

That's the guy you draft in the first round as a QB. Experienced from a pro system, productive, hard worker, prototype size, etc.

He knows Crennel and Daboll's system. If Pioli is actually interested in winning games instead of continuing to support his (poor) decision in trading for Matt Cassel to be the starter, then Quinn should have every chance/probability of getting the job.

I don't care what he did 20 years ago in college, in the NFL he sucks ass. Stop pimping him, it's worse than the never ending pimping of an overrated LT prospect(s).

the Talking Can 05-02-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8587199)

talk about homo-erotic...you just love players with big thighs

he's on a one year contract for a reason...he's a meatbag

Frosty 05-02-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8587336)
:) Almost. But he's black. No way he could have a similar game to Drew Brees. He'd have to be Michael Vick.

Didn't stop the Russell Wilson/ Drew Brees comparisons.

kcbubb 05-02-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8587380)
I don't care what he did 20 years ago in college, in the NFL he sucks ass. Stop pimping him, it's worse than the never ending pimping of an overrated LT prospect(s).

Here's Crennel's take on Quinn at his pro day in 07.

Crennel said Quinn clearly had zip on his passes.

"The fact he could make all his throws, both right and left, he's a polished quarterback," Crennel said. "He's smart. When you watch him on tape you can see he knows where to go with the ball. He will, at times, throw it away when he has to, so we think he's a good, young prospect."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2787845

I'm not saying that it is relevant today, but just pointing out the that Crennel may still like this guy. Probably not just a Pioli pickup.

I am hoping that he can pull off a resurrection similar to a Drew Brees. Brees sucked his first two years as a starter with the Chargers.

Bewbies 05-02-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 8587890)

"The fact he could make all his throws, both right and left, he's a polished quarterback," Crennel said. "He's smart. When you watch him on tape you can see he knows where to go with the ball. He will, at times, throw it away when he has to, so we think he's a good, young prospect."

I'm not saying that it is relevant today, but just pointing out the that Crennel may still like this guy. Probably not just a Pioli pickup.

I am hoping that he can pull off a resurrection similar to a Drew Brees. Brees sucked his first two years as a starter with the Chargers.

LMAO

Holy shit you people are ****ing reeruned.

the Talking Can 05-02-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 8587890)

Quinn's career is a mirror image of Brees'

if the mirror was shattered first

RealSNR 05-02-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8587594)
talk about homo-erotic...you just love players with big thighs

he's on a one year contract for a reason...he's a meatbag

LMAO

So you're saying put in Quinn as our H-back? Meatbags are usually perfect for that role.

BryanBusby 05-02-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 8587205)
The Big XII is not known for defense.

Overall? No lol Compared to the SEC? Hell no.

Oklahoma and Texas could provide some form of a challenge. The Big East had no form of defense going on there.

kcbubb 05-02-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8587995)
LMAO

Holy shit you people are ****ing reeruned.

I said hoping. I don't think he has the ceiling of a guy like Brees. That was a poor comparison.

His potential could potentially be more like Schaub.

BossChief 05-02-2012 10:44 PM

Quinn is here to help integrating/teaching the offense and to keep the road to StanziMania that much shorter.

Bump 05-02-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Cardinals - Need a QB
Chiefs - Obvious reasons

if Freeman fails, I'd be happy to take him here.

DaKCMan AP 05-03-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8590695)
if Freeman fails, I'd be happy to take him here.

Freeman really has no excuses this year with:
Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Arrelious Benn, Dezmon Briscoe at WR
Winslow at TE
Blount and Doug Martin at RB
An OL boosted with Carl Nicks.

The Bucs have made some really good moves to improve the team.

htismaqe 05-03-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8590479)
Quinn is here to help integrating/teaching the offense and to keep the road to StanziMania that much shorter.

I hope to all that is holy that you are right.

Saccopoo 05-03-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8590479)

Quinn's here to win a ****ing Super Bowl.

Book it.

The Franchise 05-03-2012 09:33 AM

I actually agree with Sacc on something......holy shit.

DaKCMan AP 05-03-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8591212)
I actually agree with Sacc on something......holy shit.

Domer homer :P

Direckshun 05-03-2012 11:19 AM

The worst thing that can happen is that Brady Quinn looks really good for the Chiefs.

We'll have to make a choice between franchising him, Dorsey, AND Albert.

Direckshun 05-03-2012 11:23 AM

That said, if there were ever a situation for Quinn to thrive, it'd be here and now.

He knows Daboll's offense. Crennel trusts him, making it less likely he'd shackle him when he takes the field.

He's got a run game, great protection, good receivers, and a stout defense.

This would be the best opportunity of Quinn's life.

Direckshun 05-03-2012 11:24 AM

Come to think of it, we are probably letting Dorsey walk anyway, and we'll probably still franchise Albert.

I doubt we'd have to franchise Quinn. Quinn hitting the market would look exactly like Alex Smith hitting the market. Despite his theoretical success with us, teams are always going to be leery with him, and we can probably get a deal done with him on the cheap without having to burn the tag on him.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

RealSNR 05-03-2012 11:35 AM

Seriously. If Pioli's such a special GM why doesn't he just get these guys signed to a deal before they leave?

He has all season to extend Albert's contract. If he's going to sit around and play grab ass with himself, then we can pretty much say goodbye to trading up for a QB next draft. We'll need draft picks to replace Dorsey/Jackson, Albert, Lewis, Moeaki, and Asamoah.

The Franchise 05-03-2012 11:37 AM

I have a feeling that Quinn would sign a deal with us if he succeeded here. He wouldn't want to have to go somewhere else and learn a completely new offense.

Direckshun 05-03-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8591591)
I have a feeling that Quinn would sign a deal with us if he succeeded here. He wouldn't want to have to go somewhere else and learn a completely new offense.

Especially after drifting from shit situation to shittier situation.

Direckshun 05-03-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8591583)
Seriously. If Pioli's such a special GM why doesn't he just get these guys signed to a deal before they leave?

He has all season to extend Albert's contract. If he's going to sit around and play grab ass with himself, then we can pretty much say goodbye to trading up for a QB next draft. We'll need draft picks to replace Dorsey/Jackson, Albert, Lewis, Moeaki, and Asamoah.

God, you look at that list and you just know Jackson knows he's getting paid $14 million next year. You just know it.

What leverage do the Chiefs have? They can't cut him, because we won't have the draft ammo to replace him, and Bailey is currently slotted to replace Dorsey.

The only thing the Chiefs have is a deal to extend him. Take less money, and we'll pay you for more years.

BigChiefFan 05-03-2012 12:16 PM

Franchise Brady Quinn? Seriously??? He's a stop-gap and no way we re-sign him to starter's money.

Chiefnj2 05-03-2012 12:25 PM

The crystal meth and painkillers must be flowing freely in Missouri.

DJ's left nut 05-03-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8591601)
God, you look at that list and you just know Jackson knows he's getting paid $14 million next year. You just know it.

What leverage do the Chiefs have? They can't cut him, because we won't have the draft ammo to replace him, and Bailey is currently slotted to replace Dorsey.

The only thing the Chiefs have is a deal to extend him. Take less money, and we'll pay you for more years.

Starting to see why I liked Brockers yet?

Hell, even Still in the 2nd would've been nice.

Not grabbing a legitimate threat to replace Jackson/Dorsey in this draft was a mistake.

RealSNR 05-03-2012 01:00 PM

Uhh... don't we still have cap room? Are we saying that after a freakin right tackle, Peyton Hillis, Kevin Boss, and Brady ****ing Quinn we're all of a sudden out of cash to sign our franchise players?

RealSNR 05-03-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8591771)

Not grabbing a legitimate threat to replace Jackson/Dorsey in this draft was a mistake.

I'd still rather have him than Poe. But eh, what can ya do.

Saccopoo 05-03-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

There was a lot of mistakes in this past draft by the Chiefs:

- Poe over Brockers or DeCastro (assuming they picked Allen in the second to play guard).

- Not getting either Konz in the second, Molk in the seventh or Brewster/Garner in free agency when they were available hoping that either Hudson or Lilja is going to transition to the center spot is borderline reeruned.

- Overdrafting Allen and Stephenson to hope one of them beats out Albert and then moving whoever is left over to guard.

- Picking up another McCluster in the fourth over Ta'amu or Chapman. (If they wanted NT depth, take the freakin' guys who actually were accomplished nose tackles versus a total project in the first.)

It was a massively shitty draft and very questionable decisions on need/personnel were made.

DaKCMan AP 05-03-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8591846)

- Poe over Brockers or DeCastro (assuming they picked Allen in the second to play guard).

- Not getting either Konz in the second, Molk in the seventh or Brewster/Garner in free agency when they were available hoping that either Hudson or Lilja is going to transition to the center spot is borderline reeruned.

- Overdrafting Allen and Stephenson to hope one of them beats out Albert and then moving whoever is left over to guard.

- Picking up another McCluster in the fourth over Ta'amu or Chapman. (If they wanted NT depth, take the freakin' guys who actually were accomplished nose tackles versus a total project in the first.)

It was a massively shitty draft and very questionable decisions on need/personnel were made.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZarcbbQIJf...illy+Goose.jpg

Chris Meck 05-03-2012 01:11 PM

1. They're not going to franchise Albert. Albert is an above average LT, and is a fine young player, but will not command that sort of money. They'll re-sign him.
2. They won't franchise Brady Quinn, even if he takes the job and makes the pro-bowl. IF those things should come to pass, Quinn would be an idiot to leave and go somewhere else. He's waited too long for a good situation, he'd be a moron to leave one. He'll sign to a reasonable deal. No way any of this happens anyway.
3. Dorsey may very well walk; He's been a good player, but not franchise DE money good. You don't give a 3-4 end Freeney money. given a choice, they'll sign Jackson and let Dorsey walk.
You have a draft and FA to replace ONE guy. We're in good cap shape. No reason to freak out, but by all means, go ahead.

RealSNR 05-03-2012 01:27 PM

Correction: I'm just high. I thought all players 3rd round and later only got 3-year contracts. My bad.

Guys who will be free agents in 2013 according to Rotoworld:

Brandon Albert
Jovan Belcher
Dwayne Bowe (if he only signs the 1-year franchise tag)
Dustin Colquitt :eek:
Travis Daniels
Glenn Dorsey
Thomas Gafford
Peyton Hillis
Ryan Lilja
Jake O'Connell
Brady Quinn
Jacques Reeves
Brandon Siler
Donald Washington

And that doesn't include Tyson Jackson, who needs to get restructured next year apparently.

Lists like this look nasty every year I realize. If we organize it like this:

Guys who are very valuable to the team and could come with a pricetag more than we're willing to pay:

Brandon Albert
Dwayne Bowe (possibly)
Dustin Colquitt
Glenn Dorsey

Guys we want to keep around and shouldn't be too difficult to get re-signed:

Jovan Belcher
Travis Daniels
Thomas Gafford

Guys we don't need but if they come cheap, eh, why not:

Peyton Hillis
Ryan Lilja
Brady Quinn
Brandon Siler

Garbage players nobody wants and who deserve to rot Barry Richardson-style:

Jake O'Connell
Jacques Reeves
Donald Washington

I think if we let go of two of the first four names and four of the first seven in those categories, we can all say it: Pioli is a ****up loser.

RealSNR 05-03-2012 01:27 PM

If we don't re-sign Dustin Colquitt I will do very very bad things :mad:

the Talking Can 05-03-2012 01:38 PM

brady quinn

lol

the Talking Can 05-03-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8591846)

i agree with the spirit of this, if not all the particulars

the draft was weirdly arrogant...we're so strong we can pick projects, switch positions, wait 2-3 years for players to develop....

this draft would have made more sense to me if we were a team with a franchise QB coming off a deep playoff run...for a 7-9 squad with shit and dick at the QB position and no playoff win in decades, it seems complacent

i think we'll see the most immediate contributions from our 5th and 6th round picks

The Franchise 05-03-2012 01:49 PM

I figure that Bowe will get done before the season starts. Colquitt, Albert and Belcher will get done after this season. Dorsey will be gone.

RealSNR 05-03-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8591942)
I figure that Bowe will get done before the season starts. Colquitt, Albert and Belcher will get done after this season. Dorsey will be gone.

I'm okay with that.

Chiefnj2 05-03-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8591946)
I'm okay with that.

Who plays DE?

RealSNR 05-03-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8591966)
Who plays DE?

Bailey or somebody we find in the draft next year or free agency.

I don't see a solution to the problem unless Dorsey is cool with a crap contract.

I'm "cool" with this simply because we get really important players signed, and only one is left out. And in my opinion, Dorsey is the most expendable considering his proposed contract value.

DJ's left nut 05-03-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8591966)
Who plays DE?

Shaun Rogers...or someone else just like him.

To find a guy that does what Dorsey does will be extremely easy. To find a guy that can do what Dorsey does and actually contribute on passing plays would be extremely hard.

It's the marginal improvements over Dorsey that get expensive, not Dorsey himself. Dorsey is essentially a base Mustang. He's handy to have, kinda fun at times, but mostly incredibly replaceable and not much more than his name. You can get one for the cost of a 4-door sedan.

Whereas someone like Brockers or even Jackson really, well they're something like a Tesla roadster. They may be great...or they may suck ass. Either way, you're going to pay a lot for the privilege of finding out. Then there are the Seymours of the world - welcome to the Italian exotic prices.

We can go ahead and let the base Mustang walk - there are plenty of used Camrys we can get to do the job.

Chiefnj2 05-03-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8591978)
Bailey or somebody we find in the draft next year or free agency.

I don't see a solution to the problem unless Dorsey is cool with a crap contract.

I'm "cool" with this simply because we get really important players signed, and only one is left out. And in my opinion, Dorsey is the most expendable considering his proposed contract value.

It was bad planning by KC not take someone in this years draft, even a later pick like Billy Winn. I can see Pioli salivating at using another 1st rounder on the DL.

Direckshun 05-03-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

I definitely saw it back when you supported it. I was on the Devon Still train before he dropped like a goddamn rock.

philfree 05-03-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8592000)
It was bad planning by KC not take someone in this years draft, even a later pick like Billy Winn. I can see Pioli salivating at using another 1st rounder on the DL.

Although it was late in the draft they did draft what amounts to a 5-tech.

milkman 05-06-2012 07:58 AM

I can see Jovan Belcher being the 2012 version of Brandon Carr.

People really undervalue him, and will begin to see just how really good he is as he continues to improve.

Then everyone will be pissed when he walks, acting as though they were Belcher supoorters all along.

Saccopoo 05-06-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8597124)
I can see Jovan Belcher being the 2012 version of Brandon Carr.

People really undervalue him, and will begin to see just how really good he is as he continues to improve.

Then everyone will be pissed when he walks, acting as though they were Belcher supoorters all along.

Way undervalue him. Belcher has got better every single season, has excellent ball instincts and has really taken to playing the middle after being on the edge in college. He really has a feel for the game and he absolutely brings the lumber. People simply don't understand the role of the MLB in this system, so they don't see the impact of Belchers game.

As well, I think the casual fan simply looks at the Chiefs roster and sees a 226 lb. listing and thinks that he's too small to play the MLB in a 34, when, in actuallity, the guy was 246 at his college pro day and played last year at 255. (I still can't figure out why the Chiefs are sandbagging his weight.)

He's also a lot more athletic that people think. He was an OLB and DE for Maine who was quite adept at getting to the quarterback. He was also a three time All-American wrestler at the prep level and played damn near every position on his high school football team on both sides of the ball. Again, the problem is that he's not asked to be the open field roamer. He's the guy who blows up guards getting to the ball carrier. And he does that quite effectively.

He's one of the better Mike backers in the league and I wholely agree with the Brandon Carr comparison.

I hope that the Chiefs get a long term deal done with Belcher and not allow him to explore the open market. Someone is going to pay the guy.

RealSNR 05-06-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8597191)
Way undervalue him. Belcher has got better every single season, has excellent ball instincts and has really taken to playing the middle after being on the edge in college. He really has a feel for the game and he absolutely brings the lumber. People simply don't understand the role of the MLB in this system, so they don't see the impact of Belchers game.

As well, I think the casual fan simply looks at the Chiefs roster and sees a 226 lb. listing and thinks that he's too small to play the MLB in a 34, when, in actuallity, the guy was 246 at his college pro day and played last year at 255. (I still can't figure out why the Chiefs are sandbagging his weight.)

He's also a lot more athletic that people think. He was an OLB and DE for Maine who was quite adept at getting to the quarterback. He was also a three time All-American wrestler at the prep level and played damn near every position on his high school football team on both sides of the ball. Again, the problem is that he's not asked to be the open field roamer. He's the guy who blows up guards getting to the ball carrier. And he does that quite effectively.

He's one of the better Mike backers in the league and I wholely agree with the Brandon Carr comparison.

I hope that the Chiefs get a long term deal done with Belcher and not allow him to explore the open market. Someone is going to pay the guy.

Can't cover TEs? He's a piece of shit /Morons on CP

Tribal Warfare 05-06-2012 02:11 PM

Tyler Bray is the kid I want if KC tottaly tanks, if Barkley is unattainable. The kid is pinpoint accurate, nice footwork, has a quick release, and a great NFL caliber arm.

Titty Meat 05-06-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8597191)

They will? Inside linebacker is one of the least importating positions according to market value.

suds79 05-07-2012 11:05 AM

Just another list of top QBs heading into next year.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/slidesh...013-nfl-draft/

jd1020 05-07-2012 03:13 PM

A top QB in the draft likely wont happen since I doubt the Chiefs are bad enough to even be able to make a move up for one, let alone be bad enough to draft one.

I'm not counting on many of the JR's to declare so I'm hoping someone like EJ Manuel comes through.