ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Teicher-Chiefs haven’t finished building their roster (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=162291)

Buns 04-30-2007 01:41 AM

Teicher-Chiefs haven’t finished building their roster

http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/88588.html

Edwards says Chiefs haven’t finished building their roster
By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

The recently concluded draft might eventually be defined for the Chiefs not by what they achieved, but what they failed to accomplish.

They had wanted to add at wide receiver and build quality and depth on the defensive line. They feel they tackled both with Saturday’s selections of wide receiver Dwayne Bowe and defensive linemen Turk McBride and DeMarcus “Tank” Tyler.

But their biggest predraft goal was to fortify at cornerback, where they have the aging Ty Law and Patrick Surtain and little else of substance. Not one of the seven players they selected, including the four on Sunday as the draft concluded, is capable of playing cornerback.

When the draft was finished, the Chiefs acknowledged this was their biggest failure of the weekend.

“The corners went early, as we expected,” vice president Bill Kuharich said. “It seems like we were always trying to play catch-up. When we got to the second day, we didn’t have a fourth(-round pick) so we had to watch all of these players come off the board. We had some corners targeted in four, five and seven but once again, when it came time to pick, some of the guys we targeted (were gone). That happens sometimes. You get behind schedule on a position and you don’t get an opportunity to draft one.”

Their quest began to unravel in the first round Saturday when the corner they wanted, Aaron Ross of Texas was selected three spots ahead by the New York Giants.

Their best chance at a cornerback came in the third round when they could have selected Tennessee’s Jonathan Wade, a player the Chiefs liked.

But they didn’t like him as much as Tyler. Now the Chiefs are stuck hoping Law and Surtain hold up at least one more season and at least one capable cornerback is released by another team.

“There are a lot of different ways you can get players,” coach Herm Edwards said. “It’s not over yet. Our team at this point is not the team you’re going to see on opening day. There are a lot of things that will happen between now and training camp.”

The Chiefs believe they have two of the best pass-covering linebackers in Derrick Johnson and the reacquired Donnie Edwards. They are hopeful that the free-agent signing of defensive tackle Alfonso Boone, the drafting of McBride and Tyler and the return of ends Jared Allen and Tamba Hali will give them a greatly improved pass rush.

“If you want to help your secondary, you have to put pressure on the quarterback,” Edwards said. “Now we’ve done a pretty good job of really stacking this defensive line. We’ve got a great rotation, and we’ve got some guys that we feel can get after the quarterback.”

The Chiefs remain thin on the offensive line, where Will Shields recently retired and the availability of right tackle Chris Terry could be threatened by legal issues. But the Chiefs drafted only one lineman, Herb Taylor of Texas Christian in the sixth round.

Taylor, a college tackle, eventually could be switched to guard. He appears to be at least a year away from helping.

The Chiefs added to their depth at running back with the fifth-round selection of Louisville’s Kolby Smith. They may have improved at kicker with the choice later in that round of UCLA’s Justin Medlock, who should win the job from incumbent Lawrence Tynes.

The Chiefs also drafted a tight end, Michael Allan, from tiny Whitworth College, who doesn’t figure to put a scare into Tony Gonzalez any time soon.

The Chiefs may or may not be a better team than they were immediately before the draft. But, either way, they’re still not a complete team.

“We filled some needs,” Edwards said. “Did we fill all of them? No. But you can’t do that in the draft unless you have 20 picks. You have to do what the board dictates you do, and you have to get a little lucky at certain positions.”

--More Teicher BS or bye-bye Tynes? I hope the latter. We seem to be getting rid of all of DV's holdovers (bye Samie)

ChiefFan31 04-30-2007 01:45 AM

As far as the bolded. They drafted him to replace Tynes. They are obviously not happy with him. Gotta wonder if he wet himself before that playoff field goal attempt. You never know...

I blame Miami for not giving us a 4th. I bet we were lined up to take a CB. That is what I read when they talk about having to sit through the 4th round anyways.

Direckshun 04-30-2007 01:47 AM

The Chiefs had major needs at OL, WR, DT, CB, and the desire to draft at RB, TE, K, and DE.

No way you address that in seven picks. We likely shut the door on our needs for K and DT and possibly fortified DE, not to mention a surefire #1 WR and a potential 2nd string RB.

In the process, we snubbed a couple other major needs. But choices have to be made.

Buns 04-30-2007 01:57 AM

If you think about it, we are only really strapped at O-Line and CB. If Wesley stays, we will have depth at S. Hopefully Maxey and whoever else we have can backup Law and Surtain.

The D-Line upgrade is going the make the biggest difference in regards to our secondary, IMO.

Mecca 04-30-2007 01:59 AM

Tynes ain't comin back.....and thank god Ross got picked cause Bowe>Ross.

Mecca 04-30-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iChief702
If you think about it, we are only really strapped at O-Line and CB. If Wesley stays, we will have depth at S. Hopefully Maxey and whoever else we have can backup Law and Surtain.

The D-Line upgrade is going the make the biggest difference in regards to our secondary, IMO.

Wesley staying is a waste in my view......he's to expensive to be a backup, time to move on.

Tribal Warfare 04-30-2007 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
Tynes ain't comin back.....and thank god Ross got picked cause Bowe>Ross.

I was on my knees hoping Ross would be picked by either the Titans or Cowboys.

RedThat 04-30-2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

Wesley staying is a waste in my view......he's to expensive to be a backup, time to move on.

You're right about that. But he is probably better than Jon McGraw?

Mecca 04-30-2007 02:13 AM

Probably.....but like Green whats the point?

If you keep him he's going to be pissed off he's a backup, and we aren't winning a bowl where we need these expensive veteran backups just in case.

RedThat 04-30-2007 02:20 AM

Quote:

Probably.....but like Green whats the point?

If you keep him he's going to be pissed off he's a backup, and we aren't winning a bowl where we need these expensive veteran backups just in case.

Then if he complains, get him out. Because those are the kinda guys you don't want. Guys that are gonna complain about where they stand on a football team. If the guy is a good teammate he will accept his role no matter what? If he doesn't, he can take a hike.

Mecca 04-30-2007 02:22 AM

You really think Greg Wesley is a team guy........I'm pretty sure he'd get pissed off he was made a backup, I'm also pretty sure he thinks he's good cause he gets INT's.

RedThat 04-30-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

You really think Greg Wesley is a team guy........I'm pretty sure he'd get pissed off he was made a backup, I'm also pretty sure he thinks he's good cause he gets INT's.

Not if he is the type to complain about accepting another role on the team? I wouldn't think of him as a team guy if he did that.

I like guys like Mike Anderson. This is an example I am gonna use. Although it is a little bit different, but it explains to where im trying to get at here. Remember what Denver did a few years back?

Anderson was a HB after having a pretty stout season. The team asked him to move to FB and he did. Those are the kinda guys I like accept your role no matter what, and any possible way you can contribute to help your team you do it. If you agree with the coach, then it says a lot about you as person. That's being a teammate, caring for the team, and being unselfish. Another guy is Boomer Grigsby? great attitude. You don't hear much about the guy because he plays very sparingly. But look at what has been going on with him? He's played special teams, was a backup MLB, now accepted the role to being a FB, and seems pretty ecstatic about it? That's a good guy!

*If Wesley can't accept a backup role, then I say cut him. It'll say a lot about him.

Mecca 04-30-2007 02:41 AM

They were 5th round picks, on their rookie deals still early in the league.......

Wesley is right around 30 and on his 2nd and relativly big contract while "producing" or atleast in his mind producing, he'd probably be insulted if they told him he was a backup.

SPchief 04-30-2007 02:46 AM

Quote:

They were 5th round picks, on their rookie deals still early in the league.......

Wesley is right around 30 and on his 2nd and relativly big contract while "producing" or atleast in his mind producing, he'd probably be insulted if they told him he was a backup.

So give me an honest opinion, how many people hold out?

Mecca 04-30-2007 02:49 AM

Holding out and wanting to be released aren't the same thing........

If they tell Wesley he isn't the starter, and he isn't going to have a chance to start, he'll want to be released because there's other teams he can start for.

He's to expensive to be a backup anyway....