ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Java/Hotmail Issue (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118169)

ExtremeChief 06-19-2005 09:09 AM

Java/Hotmail Issue

Running Firefox, I can log into hotmail but I cannot access individual messages. Java Console gives me this message: Error: G is not defined
Source File: javascript:G('/cgi-bin/HoTMaiL?')
Line: 1

I can access everything fine in IE, but not Firefox. I reinsalled Java, but it didn't help.

Mr. Laz 06-19-2005 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeChief
Running Firefox, I can log into hotmail but I cannot access individual messages. Java Console gives me this message: Error: G is not defined
Source File: javascript:G('/cgi-bin/HoTMaiL?')
Line: 1

I can access everything fine in IE, but not Firefox. I reinsalled Java, but it didn't help.

try

1st -make sure you've upgraded to latest firefox version (1.04 i think)

2nd-

Tools > Options > Web Features > "check" enable java script

click on "advanced" tab for JavaScript, uncheck everything except:

move or resize existing ...

and

change images

ExtremeChief 06-19-2005 12:57 PM

Newest Firefox version 1.0.4.

Quote:

1st -make sure you've upgraded to latest firefox version (1.04 i think)

2nd-

Tools > Options > Web Features > "check" enable java script

click on "advanced" tab for JavaScript, uncheck everything except:

move or resize existing ...

and

change images
Did that, but still the same thing.

I'll keep trying and looking

KC Jones 06-19-2005 04:35 PM

I don't know the answer to the problem, but I do know the problem is javascript not java. Installing a new JDK won't help.

ExtremeChief 06-19-2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Jones
I don't know the answer to the problem, but I do know the problem is javascript not java. Installing a new JDK won't help.

What is the difference between java and javascript?

KC Jones 06-19-2005 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeChief
What is the difference between java and javascript?

Java is a programming language and a virtual machine used to abstract out the underlying platform (hardware and OS). It's used in everything from small devices like cell phones to large distributed applications as well as some web applications. Javascript is a scripting language for customization and programming of web browsers. Outside of a web browser you really can't use javascript to do much of anything. IIRC a Netscape engineer was the originator of javascript, and he borrowed syntactically from Java, plus Java was all the rage back then so naming your toolkit/project, etc. after Java would only help.

I googled "firefox javascript hotmail" and found this:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/...n-firefox.html

You may want to back off a version of firefox if possible and use 1.03. It's always possible that MS decided to cripple hotmail for firefox users by taking advantage of some difference in javascript interpretation.

ExtremeChief 06-19-2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Jones
Java is a programming language and a virtual machine used to abstract out the underlying platform (hardware and OS). It's used in everything from small devices like cell phones to large distributed applications as well as some web applications. Javascript is a scripting language for customization and programming of web browsers. Outside of a web browser you really can't use javascript to do much of anything. IIRC a Netscape engineer was the originator of javascript, and he borrowed syntactically from Java, plus Java was all the rage back then so naming your toolkit/project, etc. after Java would only help.

I googled "firefox javascript hotmail" and found this:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/...n-firefox.html

You may want to back off a version of firefox if possible and use 1.03. It's always possible that MS decided to cripple hotmail for firefox users by taking advantage of some difference in javascript interpretation.

Thanks KC.. If nothing else, I can use IE for hotmail for now.

thanks again

ExtremeChief 06-20-2005 05:15 AM

Interesting tidbit... Hotmail works fine on a 98 computer I use occasionally running the same version of Firefox. I ran a registry cleaner, but that didn't help either.

Mr. Laz 06-20-2005 11:16 AM

hotmail works with firefox 1.04 for me

there's somethign wrong with his setup

ExtremeChief 06-21-2005 03:08 AM

Whatever it is, it's just happened in the last couple of weeks. I really dont' recall changing anything.

ExtremeChief 06-30-2005 06:03 AM

Weird update...

I get on the computer last week and firefox is in a state like it was just installed. All bookmarks gone, homepage changed, all extensions wiped out. But the hotmail javascript problem is gone.

This morning, same thing. So I look through Event Viewer and see that windows update did an automatic update this morning. I do a system restore to yesterday, Firefox back like it was with all my bookmarks etc.

What the hell could windowsupdate do that would make firefox reinstall, or at least appear to be reinstalled???

FWIW, I shut off automatic updates, for now anyway.