ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV FX: The Strain (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283970)

RINGLEADER 07-14-2014 12:49 AM

Wasn't as good as I hoped, but good enough to keep me around for an episode or two to see if it gets better. Given the talent involved on the creative side I was surprised the writing was so pedestrian, but there were some good scenes. Just wish the main characters would stop acting like idiots -- do you really think if this happened and the main CDC agent found strange worm things that were responsible he'd be walking around with them in a box, admiring them? Stuff like that bugged me but, like I said, I'll hang in there awhile.

siberian khatru 07-14-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 10745691)
Wasn't as good as I hoped, but good enough to keep me around for an episode or two to see if it gets better. Given the talent involved on the creative side I was surprised the writing was so pedestrian, but there were some good scenes. Just wish the main characters would stop acting like idiots -- do you really think if this happened and the main CDC agent found strange worm things that were responsible he'd be walking around with them in a box, admiring them? Stuff like that bugged me but, like I said, I'll hang in there awhile.

My reaction as well.

ShowtimeSBMVP 07-14-2014 02:04 PM

Great start!

Nzoner 07-14-2014 02:23 PM

Speaking of vampires I wished someone would remake King's Salem's Lot for the big screen,the first two attempts on tv were absolute disasters.

Why Not? 07-14-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 10746355)
Speaking of vampires I wished someone would remake King's Salem's Lot for the big screen,the first two attempts on tv were absolute disasters.

So very this. Salem's Lot is one of my favorite books of all time. The movie attempts or whatever they were are complete disasters. It would seem such a story would be movie gold. It seems the vampire craze may have run it's course so I think we may be SOL

Frosty 07-14-2014 03:54 PM

I liked the pilot. I do hope there is more focus on the undead and less on the lead scientist's personal problems, though.

Why Not? 07-14-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10746449)
I liked the pilot. I do hope there is more focus on the undead and less on the lead scientist's personal problems, though.

Agreed. I hate that shit on TV shows. Nobody gives a shit about that dudes marriage. More zombie vampire badassness. I'll watch the Hallmark channel for that other garbage

ragedogg69 07-14-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 10745691)
Just wish the main characters would stop acting like idiots --

aww man. I was really excited to watch this tonight, but that is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to TV.

KCUnited 07-16-2014 08:43 AM

Yeah, this was terrible but I'll probably keep watching.

Sully 07-16-2014 09:22 AM

ROFL

Airplanes are so big up close! They are like buildings with wings!

Why Not? 07-16-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 10749206)
ROFL

Airplanes are so big up close! They are like buildings with wings!

That may have been the worst line ever written for television.

Tribal Warfare 07-16-2014 08:45 PM

So essentially Abraham , his wife, and another test victim in an Nazi concentration camp were given this virus to see the human effects made Abe immortal but immune to be a vampire, and his wife was killed by him because she turned into a vamp and the other victim turned into EPIC DRACULA with his reaction to the disease.

Miles 07-16-2014 11:28 PM

First episode was solid. Higher expectations from those involved but most of these types of shows take a bit to set up.

Baby Lee 07-21-2014 11:51 AM

What an absolute shit show. Nothing more than a studio sweep of every cliche and tired story line that drifted down to the floor from shows that were tired out decades ago. Not a single character, just a mishmash of caricatures.

I seriously doubt there was a single line of dialog in the entire pilot that hadn't been said 100 times before on TV or on a Michael Bay movie.

My GOD!!! That scene of the father WITH A DAUGHTER, THIS HER!!!! THIS IS A PICTURE OF HER!!!, the CDC guy talked for all of 15 seconds and this malook lunges, slaps him and says 'all you do is talk and talk.'

No sentient being on Earth acts like that. Caricatures do all the time, though.

The crazy old man that they dismiss out of hand, who stops them in their tracks with inside knowledge he couldn't possibly know!!! Caricature CITY!!!!

The CDC dude with important work with thousands of lives at stake who doesn't pay enough attention to his home life. The put upon wife who's moved on to a young punk. The son they both love who she's cruelly trying to take from his father's embrace.

Ugh!!! I am stupider now than I was before watching, I just know it.

If asked, I could have written that pilot in an afternoon, only I fear I would have slit my wrists in despair before getting it to the printers.

Why Not? 07-21-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10757818)
What an absolute shit show. Nothing more than a studio sweep of every cliche and tired story line that drifted down to the floor from shows that were tired out decades ago. Not a single character, just a mishmash of caricatures.

I seriously doubt there was a single line of dialog in the entire pilot that hadn't been said 100 times before on TV or on a Michael Bay movie.

My GOD!!! That scene of the father WITH A DAUGHTER, THIS HER!!!! THIS IS A PICTURE OF HER!!!, the CDC guy talked for all of 15 seconds and this malook lunges, slaps him and says 'all you do is talk and talk.'

No sentient being on Earth acts like that. Caricatures do all the time, though.

The crazy old man that they dismiss out of hand, who stops them in their tracks with inside knowledge he couldn't possibly know!!! Caricature CITY!!!!

The CDC dude with important work with thousands of lives at stake who doesn't pay enough attention to his home life. The put upon wife who's moved on to a young punk. The son they both love who she's cruelly trying to take from his father's embrace.

Ugh!!! I am stupider now than I was before watching, I just know it.

If asked, I could have written that pilot in an afternoon, only I fear I would have slit my wrists in despair before getting it to the printers.

And yet, somehow, with all the above totally true...,the 2nd episode is 10x worse! I kinda have to keep watching because it is almost entertainingly bad.