ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Stem Cells Restore Vision (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267929)

Mr. Laz 12-22-2012 01:21 PM

Stem Cells Restore Vision

Stem cells restore vision in blind man

Image via Four Winds

Taylor Binns never planned to experience a simple delight of the world again: seeing it. The world was slowly going black, and time was running out. So he took his only options: a new procedure using stem cells. What we all take for granted became his gift: he could see again.

In a road-to-hell-is-paved-with-good-intentions story, Binns was doing mission work in Haiti, where he developed eye pain and blurring vision. No one knew what the problem was. Doctors were baffled while he slowly went legally blind during a two-year period.

In Binns' words, "Everything you could do before was being taken away, day by day, and it got worse and worse."

Finally, he was diagnosed with corneal limbal stem cell deficiency, which essentially meant his eyes were building scar tissue. Many things can cause the disease, including leaving contact lenses in for too long without disinfecting them. It also creates a problem: due to the nature of the disease, a corneal transplant is not an option.

What was an option was a procedure called a limbal stem cell transplant. Doctors in Toronto removed the scar tissue from his eyes and replaced it with stem cells from his sister's eyes. In a month, his vision was 20/40. It rose to 20/20 and 20/40.

His pain is gone.

Pasta Little Brioni 12-22-2012 01:23 PM

It also turns an old, should have been done QB back into his prime.

MoreLemonPledge 12-22-2012 01:23 PM

I don't understand how people can be so opposed to stem cell research. So many amazing developments...

Bowser 12-22-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 9231912)
I don't understand how people can be so opposed to stem cell research. So many amazing developments...

Never underestimate a person's ability to be dumb.

Stem cell research should be a driving force behind 21st century America.

ChiefRocka 12-22-2012 01:29 PM

I own umbilicalcords.com....in case you want to buy some.

Mr. Laz 12-22-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 9231912)

because "certain" people have been convinced that stem cell research = throwing babies in a blender for the needed stem cells.

This article is about adult-to-adult stem cell transplantation

Mr. Laz 12-22-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 9231936)
I own umbilicalcords.com....in case you want to buy some.

annnnnnd you didn't read the article

hi "certain" people

FlaChief58 12-22-2012 01:40 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TRtlkcQ6brE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiefRocka 12-22-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9231943)
annnnnnd you didn't read the article

hi "certain" people

Uhh, wtf do you mean uncertain one? Please enlighten me with your knowledge on the topic.

Cephalic Trauma 12-22-2012 02:00 PM

Amazing. Cool story. And I agree, stem cells have a crazy amount of potential.

Cephalic Trauma 12-22-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 9231974)
Uhh, wtf do you mean uncertain one? Please enlighten me with your knowledge on the topic.

Not all stem cells are fetal. Did you read the article?

Further, I believe most stem cells come from bone marrow, especially those used in leukemia treatments and the treatment of other blood disorders.

ChiefRocka 12-22-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9232022)
Not all stem cells are fetal. Did you read the article?

Further, I believe most stem cells come from bone marrow, especially those used in leukemia treatments and the treatment of other blood disorders.

my original reply mentioned umbilical cords which are currently the only "ethical" form of collecting embryonic stem cells from the cord blood as a byproduct of child birth. I do own the domain for the record. The internets...where everyone is an expert on everything!!

Mr. Laz 12-22-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 9232031)
my original reply mentioned umbilical cords which are currently the only "ethical" form of collecting embryonic stem cells from the cord blood as a byproduct of child birth. I do own the domain for the record. The internets...where everyone is an expert on everything!!

you are missing the point about this thread NOT BEING ABOUT embryonic stems cells.

and the wise cracks about how 'certain' people think that all stem cell procedures are about embryonic stem cells.

of course you stepped right in and made a embryonic stell cell reference ROFL

Ace Gunner 12-22-2012 02:19 PM

stem cell research is evil /rich people

loochy 12-22-2012 02:20 PM

Meh.

Babies are a renewable resource.