ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Babb: Tyler insists he’s not a 'nice' guy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=212785)

Tribal Warfare 08-29-2009 06:21 AM

Babb: Tyler insists he’s not a 'nice' guy

Tyler insists he’s not a 'nice' guy
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

It sounded like a fine compliment. Here was a third-year nose tackle, admittedly with work to do, and Chiefs coach Todd Haley said something that at least sounded nice about Tank Tyler.

“Seems like a nice guy,” Haley said.

So why was Tyler so put off by Haley’s observation? Tyler stood in front of his locker Thursday, and the idea that Haley called him “nice” confused and intrigued Tyler in the same way as if he’d been challenged to wrestle an alligator.

“I don’t have to look like I’m a crazy-type guy to show I’m ready to kill somebody on Sunday,” Tyler said. “I’ve been known to be a pretty tough guy, a pretty mean guy.

“I mean, you’ve almost got to be a gladiator. You’ve got a car crash every down. It’s not easy to go through a car wreck and just line up against this guy and say, ‘I’m going to kill him,’ every snap. You’ve got to have some kind of meanness in your heart, a little cold blood.”

Tyler talked for a long time, trying to dispel that nasty rumor that he’s nice. Tyler is a soft-spoken and complicated man, a football player and a songwriter, a lineman and the founder of the music label Tyler Boy Records. And, yes, he is known as one of the Chiefs’ more personable players.

But here’s the problem: Haley doesn’t want nice.

He didn’t mean his compliment in a good way, and Tyler could sense that. Locker-room smiles and downtown humor are fine, but when Tyler is on Haley’s football field, Haley wants to see a maniac. And, so far, Tyler hasn’t been as maniacal as Haley would prefer.

That’s what has held back Tyler from securing the starting job as Kansas City’s nose tackle and kept him and veteran Ron Edwards in perhaps the preseason’s closest competition.

Haley said Tyler and Edwards are in a dead heat, with Derek Lokey making things more interesting than perhaps Haley would like. Haley said this week that the thing holding Tyler back is what Haley remembers from Tyler’s days at North Carolina State.

“Just the nastiness that he played with,” Haley said. “He was a bad dude, and you didn’t want to mess around with him. So, I’m waiting to see a little more of that.

“That’s a man’s position, now. … When you’re the nose and you’re in there, a lot of that is just want-to. You’re fighting, scratching, clawing — and it’s not for everyone.”

Tyler said it’s possible for him to be untamed. He said he thought he was playing with the enthusiasm and meanness that the job called for. Tyler bristled after hearing that Haley had implied that Tyler’s intentions weren’t impure enough for Haley’s standards. That might be precisely what Haley was going for.

Haley has high expectations, and he’s proved he’s not above mind games when it comes to motivating his more talented players. Haley works on a star system, but instead of benefits for promising players, his sightline is an uncomfortable place for a player. If he’s good enough to get Haley’s attention, then that player had better be willing to absorb the abuse that comes with trying to meet Haley’s standards.

Haley said Tyler was nice? Well …

“I do have another level,” Tyler said. “I can always turn it up.”

While Tyler settles into character, the veteran Edwards is quietly stealing the starting job. Edwards is a reliable 30-year-old with the girth to plug the middle and the quickness and smarts to be a solid stopgap as the Chiefs adjust to the 3-4 defensive front.

Last year, Edwards was a reserve defensive tackle, but the move to the new scheme has fit Edwards’ body, skills and temperament.

“I feel like I can adjust to pretty much anything,” said Edwards, who’s listed on the team’s depth chart as the starting nose tackle. “I’ve been around a while. I can figure out the steps to take to get to where I need to be.”

That’s the experience talking. Edwards has that advantage over Tyler, and unless Tyler drops this “nice” act, then Edwards might have the attitude advantage, too.

A few minutes after Tyler was told that Haley said such a thing, he was still trying to shed the idea that he’s more teddy bear than crazed badger. He said that the rumor just isn’t true. Nice? Who would say such a thing?

Tyler didn’t see it, but Haley smiled after making his remark about Tyler. Haley knew it would get back to him, and he knew Tyler would squirm. Mission accomplished.

“You’ve got to have a killer instinct every time you’re on the field,” Tyler said. “I don’t see any other way to play this game.”

SEAHAWKS AT CHIEFS
WHEN/WHERE: 7 tonight at Arrowhead

PunkinDrublic 08-29-2009 06:48 AM

Just when you think the star reporters can't get any lazier they outdo themselves with this steaming pile of crap of an article.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-29-2009 06:49 AM

Edwards and Tyler in a heated competition for NT is a GOOD thing !

JuicesFlowing 08-29-2009 07:02 AM

Proverbial "Nice guys finish last" comment.

milkman 08-29-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 6011677)
Just when you think the star reporters can't get any lazier they outdo themselves with this steaming pile of crap of an article.

This is one of the best articles that Babb has ever written.

That's not saying much, though.

One comment.

If Edwards is starting, we are ****ed.

rockymtnchief 08-29-2009 07:51 AM

I thought it was going to be a story about Thigpen wanting to kick Mark Castles ass.

Bane 08-29-2009 07:58 AM

So wheres all the media coverage of this MONSTER we drafted #5 last year?What was his name,something Dorsey????

milkman 08-29-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6011730)
So wheres all the media coverage of this MONSTER we drafted #5 last year?What was his name,something Dorsey????

He's playing pretty damn good in this new defense, and his efforts have resulted in Corey Mays making plays.

Bane 08-29-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 6011738)
He's playing pretty damn good in this new defense, and his efforts have resulted in Corey Mays making plays.

God I hope so!!!!

milkman 08-29-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6011739)
God I hope so!!!!

Against the Texans, I focused soley on Dorsey.

He was attacking the B gap, commanding double teams, getting penetration, and generally being pretty disruptive.

Cory Mays made a lot of plays because there wasn't anyone to block him.

Bane 08-29-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 6011740)
Against the Texans, I focused soley on Dorsey.

He was attacking the B gap, commanding double teams, getting penetration, and generally being pretty disruptive.

Cory Mays made a lot of plays because there wasn't anyone to block him.

I just remember watching the draft when we picked him,and all the experts saying he was the best player in the draft and all.I know it takes time,and he cant do it alone,but then you hear the talk of him not fitting in so I was just curious as to how he has been doing.

Shag 08-29-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 6011716)
This is one of the best articles that Babb has ever written.

That's not saying much, though.

One comment.

This. Edwards has been getting destroyed all preseason. Tank is our best bet at nose this year - here's hoping he gets into the starting lineup...

Easy 6 08-29-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 6011716)

Unfortunately, i havent been able to watch a single pre-season game this year, just how bad has Edwards looked?

Last year, he was the only guy able to consistently hold ground at the point against the run & managed to collapse the pocket several times in different games on pass.

I could be wrong, its happened atleast twice in my life...but with his size & experience, he seems to be the best candidate.

pr_capone 08-29-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 6011657)

So why was Tyler so put off by Haley’s observation? Tyler stood in front of his locker Thursday, and the idea that Haley called him “nice” confused and intrigued Tyler in the same way as if he’d been challenged to wrestle an alligator.

LMAO

Mr. Krab 08-29-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

“I do have another level,” Tyler said. “I can always turn it up.”

Soooooo you're saying you haven't been playing your hardest?