ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Dan Marino files concussion lawsuit (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284104)

Tribal Warfare 06-03-2014 02:40 AM

Dan Marino files concussion lawsuit

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=560&height=315&externalId=espn:11024375"></script>

Dan Marino files concussion lawsuit

PHILADELPHIA -- Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino is among the latest group of football players to file a concussion-related lawsuit against the National Football League.

The 52-year-old former Miami Dolphins quarterback is one of 15 former players who filed a lawsuit in federal court in Philadelphia last week.

Marino and the other 14 plaintiffs join more than 4,800 others who have alleged the NFL misled players about the long-term dangers of concussions. The NFL has denied those claims.

The lawsuit doesn't specify any medical problems suffered by the plaintiffs including Marino, who retired in 1999. It seeks unspecified damages and medical monitoring.

The NFL and the original group of players agreed on a $765 million settlement last August. But the settlement was rejected by a federal judge in January.

TEX 06-03-2014 05:47 AM

I wonder if I could file one as well from banging my head against the wall in disgust while watching those horrible Chiefs teams of the late '70's and early '80's play? :hmmm:

WhiteWhale 06-03-2014 05:49 AM

"The NFL has denied those claims"

ROFL

Except the NFL also misled the public. They denied that concussions had any long term effects throughout the 90's when it was well known in the neurological community that repeated concussions did tend to snowball into brain damage. They didn't do this in secret. It's not something they can honestly deny. It was obvious they were lying in the mid 90's to ANYONE willing to do the research. I figured it out in 1996 and I was only 15 years old. Denying this would be like Vanilla Ice denying he made bad rap music.

Now I'll be the first to say that the players, at some point, should acknowledge they were WILLFULLY ignorant of these issues. I don't believe that a grown man in 1992 didn't realize that hitting your head really hard on things was bad for your brain. I'm all for holding the league accountable, as they did openly lie and mislead players in a way that was horribly detrimental to their health. At the same time I'd like to see some players be accountable for something a 15 year old high school student discovered in less than 2 days of research involving only newspaper clippings.

Marco Polo 06-03-2014 05:54 AM

Didn't Marino just get fired from his CBS gig and is now unemployed? The timing is shocking, I tell you. Shocking.

Chiefs Pantalones 06-03-2014 06:00 AM

When did his ass ever get hit hard enough to result in a concussion? I'm just saying the guy hardly ever got hit his release was so quick.

Red Dawg 06-03-2014 06:09 AM

How can players be so stupid. Go to a doctor not employed by the NFL if you want truth. Idiots.

InChiefsHeaven 06-03-2014 06:14 AM

I've said this before, but when I was 8 years old playing FLAG FOOTBALL in 1979 we learned about concussions. WTF?

KCUnited 06-03-2014 06:51 AM

Exhibit A: Those Isotoner commercials

Rain Man 06-03-2014 06:58 AM

maybe the people who really have concussion damage are the ones who did not know about the massive lawsuit that every other NFL player knew about a couple of years ago.

TEX 06-03-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10667195)
"The NFL has denied those claims"

ROFL

Except the NFL also misled the public. They denied that concussions had any long term effects throughout the 90's when it was well known in the neurological community that repeated concussions did tend to snowball into brain damage. They didn't do this in secret. It's not something they can honestly deny. It was obvious they were lying in the mid 90's to ANYONE willing to do the research. I figured it out in 1996 and I was only 15 years old. Denying this would be like Vanilla Ice denying he made bad rap music.

Now I'll be the first to say that the players, at some point, should acknowledge they were WILLFULLY ignorant of these issues. I don't believe that a grown man in 1992 didn't realize that hitting your head really hard on things was bad for your brain. I'm all for holding the league accountable, as they did openly lie and mislead players in a way that was horribly detrimental to their health. At the same time I'd like to see some players be accountable for something a 15 year old high school student discovered in less than 2 days of research involving only newspaper clippings.

I totally agree with you. The problem is that it has actually been argued that the concussions altered the players reasoning abilities, leaving doubt as to what they could comprehend regarding the potential damage they might suffer.

Personally, I think its a bunch of BS and most guys knew the risks and, as you said, WILLFULLY participated and CHOSE to live in the moment and damn the consequences in return for more $$$$ and fame and other benefits than they otherwise would not have received if they had "regular" jobs. Sure, some claims are legit but some guys, (and their lawyers) are just lining up for a pay-day because of how successful the league has become.

TEX 06-03-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10667241)
maybe the people who really have concussion damage are the ones who did not know about the massive lawsuit that every other NFL player knew about a couple of years ago.

:clap: LMAO Rep!

Deberg_1990 06-03-2014 07:08 AM

Oh noes! I played football for 25 years and never knew the risks involved!
Posted via Mobile Device

TEX 06-03-2014 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 10667201)
I've said this before, but when I was 8 years old playing FLAG FOOTBALL in 1979 we learned about concussions. WTF?

No shit! We ALL knew.

TEX 06-03-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10667248)
Oh noes! I played football for 25 years and never knew the risks involved!
Posted via Mobile Device

You'z better sue the skewl sistems and / or colledge you plaied for...:drool:

Chief Roundup 06-03-2014 07:55 AM

Uh can the OP turn the auto start off on the video?