ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computer Question - Anyone know of a good router? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107823)

Lzen 01-05-2005 05:06 PM

Computer Question - Anyone know of a good router?

I'm looking for a good router(don't need wireless, necessarily) for my home network. Actually, it's not much of a network. Just my computer and my Playstation 2 will be on it. I need something that works well with the PS2, is good quality, and is not too expensive. Suggestions?

Lzen 01-05-2005 05:10 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention why I'm looking. I have had this D -link DI 604 router that I bought from Best Buy a couple years ago. It works fine for some online gaming but, not all. For instance, I have no problems with Everquest. But for games like Call of Duty: Finest hour, I have trouble connecting to the host most of the time, I sometimes have trouble hearing the other players with headsets, and always seem to get cut off about 5-10 minutes into the game.

I have setup my PS2 IP address to the DMZ. So, I shouldn't be having any of these problems. Firmware is latest (ver. 2.20, 8-03). I'm at my wits end with this thing and I'm thinking that this router is just crap.

Donger 01-05-2005 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen
I'm looking for a good router(don't need wireless, necessarily) for my home network. Actually, it's not much of a network. Just my computer and my Playstation 2 will be on it. I need something that works well with the PS2, is good quality, and is not too expensive. Suggestions?

Never used anything other than Linksys at home. Superb product and support.

Kerberos 01-05-2005 05:16 PM

Yea I was gonna suggest D-link .. my DI-804 works fine with all the games you mentioned and then some... try the Linksys like Donger suggested ... I havn't used it myself but Linksys is a division of Cisco so they can't be too bad right ???

:)

Cliff

Phobia 01-05-2005 05:16 PM

I have a 4 port linksys I'll send you for $10 + shipping. If it doesn't solve your problem, give it back when I see you next and I'll even refund the $10.

Phobia 01-05-2005 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxrider
I havn't used it myself but Linksys is a division of Cisco so they can't be too bad right ???

Cliff

An acquisition.

Kerberos 01-05-2005 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
An acquisition.

Either way..... they advertise on thier box that they are a division of Cisco.. or at least that is what I "Thought" I saw on a router at Wally World??

Cliff

Lzen 01-05-2005 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
I have a 4 port linksys I'll send you for $10 + shipping. If it doesn't solve your problem, give it back when I see you next and I'll even refund the $10.

What model? How old is it? What condition is it in? Why are you selling it?

Phobia 01-05-2005 05:35 PM

Model BEFSR81

oops, it's an 8 port. It's at least 3 years old and hasn't been used in the past year. I bought a wireless linksys when one of the ports on this one went bad, but other than that, there's not a thing wrong with it. If there is, you have nothing to lose....

chiefsfan58 01-05-2005 05:42 PM

Bah, I'm not a linksys fan. They break fairly easily.

Netgear makes some very quality routers. I'd suggest this guy:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...122-008&depa=0

Hammock Parties 01-05-2005 05:43 PM

I'm happy with my US Robotics 8054.

Lzen 01-05-2005 05:53 PM

Phobia, thanks but I've had enough headaches.

GC, I think you missed the part where I said inexpensive. I don't want (or need) to spend $125 or so on a router. But since you mentioned US Robotics, I was looking at model 8003? Do you know anything about that one? It needs to be able to work with my PS2 network adaptor. PC and PS2 NA is all I have on my LAN.

Hammock Parties 01-05-2005 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen
Phobia, thanks but I've had enough headaches.

GC, I think you missed the part where I said inexpensive. I don't want (or need) to spend $125 or so on a router. But since you mentioned US Robotics, I was looking at model 8003? Do you know anything about that one? It needs to be able to work with my PS2 network adaptor. PC and PS2 NA is all I have on my LAN.

My router was 50 bucks. Oh, it's wireless. Don't know if you were looking for that kind.

htismaqe 01-05-2005 06:00 PM

I think LinkSys has improved their quality since being bought by Cisco...

I have a WCG200 -- integrated DOCSIS cable modem, 4 port switch, broadband router, 802.11g AP, and a stateful firewall...

Lzen 01-05-2005 06:07 PM

Do you have a model suggestion that fits my criteria? Read cheap. :)