ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Grade the 1st quarter of the season for Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276782)

Shox 09-30-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10034374)
B - probably doing exactly what Reid wants. high percentage passes; limiting turnovers etc.

he won't cross this grade threshold for me personally, until he starts throwing it beyond 10 yards more than twice per game

Bullseye.

He is much better than Cassell and I'm glad he is wearing a Chiefs uniform. BUT, BUT, BUT.
This offense has got to expand or we are going to start having problems against the better teams.

Yesterday on the first series we had 3rd and 4 or 5. Giants were in a 1 deep safety and Bowe was one on one. He gets a half a step on his guy and Smith has the entire field from the hash marks to the sidelines to throw over the top and outside. I don't even think he looked his way.

You have to take that shot almost every time.
1. You complete the pass
2. You get a interference call
3. Incomplete
4. Pick and it works like a punt
5. Pick and they get a good run back.
There really is only 1 out of 5 outcomes which really hurts you.

We had several opportunities when the Giants were in 1 deep safety and I don't think we every tried to take a shot. Maybe the WR did not win in those situation, but I was at Arrowhead and saw the one described.

The other thing which drives me crazy throwing the ball so much on 3rd and very short. Yesterday in the second series we had 3rd and inches (maybe 1/2 yard) and we spread out throw it. We made the 1st, but the point is we never send a message. We never lineup and say ok here we come and you can't do anything about it. Teams that throw the ball around the yard all the time become soft. Examples...Indy (with Payton), Steeler (right now), Reid's old Philly teams, Saints to name a few.

The Franchise 09-30-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10034268)
I, too, think that was his best play. He got absolutely killed on the play by Rodgers too. I also think that pass to Brock was really fantastic.

That pass to Brock made me rewind and double check that it was Smith who threw the ball. That shit was money.

And like OTWP58 stated....I'll take a 1-2 INTs if he's doing what he did yesterday. I'm actually kind of glad that he threw those INTs because I wanted to see how he was going to react to them. He responded perfectly.

NinerDoug 09-30-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10031696)
It is an A. Period. Getting better every single week.

Certainly looks that way. His yards per game has increased every week. 288 yesterday.

Jakemall 09-30-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10034269)
Denver Broncos combined opponents record: 4-12 with 3 of those 4 at home.

When you win games, your opponent's win % usually go down. :D

Mav 09-30-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10034674)
That pass to Brock made me rewind and double check that it was Smith who threw the ball. That shit was money.

And like OTWP58 stated....I'll take a 1-2 INTs if he's doing what he did yesterday. I'm actually kind of glad that he threw those INTs because I wanted to see how he was going to react to them. He responded perfectly.

Even I was stunned. Alex Smith is very good at the seam like that to tight ends, but usually not with that time of soft loft. its usually more of a line drive. Kinda like that throw to Avery. If he had put more loft on it, it was six.

Impressive throw.

Also I finally saw the throw to BOWE, that was a risky throw for Alex Smith. Impressive.

Jakemall 09-30-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10034791)
Even I was stunned. Alex Smith is very good at the seam like that to tight ends, but usually not with that time of soft loft. its usually more of a line drive. Kinda like that throw to Avery. If he had put more loft on it, it was six.

Impressive throw.

Also I finally saw the throw to BOWE, that was a risky throw for Alex Smith. Impressive.

Always thought that Alex was good with his touch "loft vs bullet".

Mav 09-30-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 10034804)
Always thought that Alex was good with his touch "loft vs bullet".

Maybe I am just thinking of his throws to Vernon. Because he had to put them on his body he had to gun them. As we all know that Vernon has no hands.....

Straight BODY CATCHING HOMIE!!!

*Randy Moss voice*

Garcia Bronco 09-30-2013 11:13 AM

Solid B on the curve

philfree 09-30-2013 11:14 AM

Those are Trent Green type numbers.