ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Reaper16 11-09-2010 09:32 PM

My next two months, as far as books go:

The Made-Up Self: Impersonation in the Personal Essay - Carl H. Klaus
Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic - Alison Bechdel
Barbecue: The History of an American Institution - Robert F. Moss
Savage Barbecue: Race, Culture, and the Invention of America's First Food - Andrew Warnes
Bringing It to the Table: On Farming and Food - Wendell Berry
Conversations with M.F.K. Fisher - ed. David Lazar
Fatheralong - John Edgar Wideman
Vanishing Point: Not A Memoir - Ander Monson
Unclean Stories for Women and Girls - Alissa Nutting

kcmaxwell 11-09-2010 09:52 PM

reading the lonesome dove series(again). Really love that series!

Jenson71 11-29-2010 10:26 PM

With the end of classes in sight, I'm looking forward to getting some leisure reading during Christmas break.

What to read in December:

- Aristotle's Ethics
- Boethius' Consolation
- Dickens' Christmas Carol

NewChief 12-03-2010 08:45 AM

Certainly not high brow, but I started the Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeve.

Post-apocalyptic steampunk? Yes please. I'm really enjoying it so far, and I can see this being a very, very solid movie franchise.

Dante84 12-03-2010 09:59 AM

Winesburg, Ohio

Ebolapox 12-03-2010 10:13 AM

"the immortal life of henrietta lacks."

great nonfiction book about biomedical research and the story behind the first 'immortal' cell-culture line. also known as 'HeLa' around the world in virtually every single lab that conducts biomedical research, her cells (the lineage of, technically) have been alive longer than she was and the sheer biomass of which is absolutely astounding.

Jenson71 12-03-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 7220364)
"the immortal life of henrietta lacks."

great nonfiction book about biomedical research and the story behind the first 'immortal' cell-culture line. also known as 'HeLa' around the world in virtually every single lab that conducts biomedical research, her cells (the lineage of, technically) have been alive longer than she was and the sheer biomass of which is absolutely astounding.

We just covered a case in Property on cell-lines: Moore v. Regents of California. Very, very interesting. The doctor took Moore's spleen out, and instead of discarding it, he did research on it, and patented the cell-line. Without telling Moore about this. Was the line Moore's property or not? Should Moore get a percentage of profit? Or did he abandon it? A lot of questions there.

Amnorix 12-03-2010 11:06 AM

Just finished The Big Short, by Michael Lewis, about the housing crisis and the collapse of 2008. F'n disgusting. Very good, readable book.

Now on to the new George Washington book by Ron Chernow, my favorite biographer.

Jenson71 12-03-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 7220487)
Just finished The Big Short, by Michael Lewis, about the housing crisis and the collapse of 2008. F'n disgusting. Very good, readable book.

Now on to the new George Washington book by Ron Chernow, my favorite biographer.

One of the things I admire and like about you here is that I know Ron Chernow is your favorite biographer. I know how much his Hamilton and Rockefeller books impacted you. It shows so much when the topics come up and your intelligence and education shines through, enlightening the discussion to a much higher degree than before. I love these accessible books and the history in them, and its energizing when someone's passion for it reaches and surpasses my own.

I hope you enjoy the (considerably long) time you'll have with it. By all indications, it seems a sure bet.

Earthling 12-03-2010 11:46 AM

I very rarely re-read anything but I have started Foundation Trilogy again. Gotta be 20 years but still one of my all time favorite si-fi's.

luv 12-03-2010 03:55 PM

Halfway through the first Harry Potter. Bought the complete set. I've seen all of the movies so far, but I have never read the books.

Jenson71 12-03-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7221343)
Halfway through the first Harry Potter. Bought the complete set. I've seen all of the movies so far, but I have never read the books.

Do you like the book better, so far?

luv 12-03-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 7221345)
Do you like the book better, so far?

Even though I'm only halfway through, I can already tell parts that were left out. A lot more detail. So, yes, I've enjoyed the book better so far.

BigOlChiefsfan 12-03-2010 04:08 PM

"The Prow Beast" by Robert Low. Good historical fiction

OnTheWarpath15 12-16-2010 05:51 PM

Amazon just delivered my Winter Break reading material. A friend on campus recommended Mark Bowden, so I ran with it.

Doctor Dealer - Mark Bowden

Killing Pablo - Mark Bowden

Blackhawk Down - Mark Bowden

War - Sebastian Junger