ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D....this fall on ABC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272969)

Buehler445 09-24-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10016173)
What concerns me long term (and even short term for that matter) is that none of Marvel's most well-known characters will appear in this series.

No Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America. Even lessor knowns like Hawkeye, Black Widow and Ant Man won't appear, either, because there are plans for stand-alone films for each. Jeremy Renner and Scarlett Jo aren't going to appear on a weekly TV series. It's possible that whomever they cast as Ant-Man will have a crossover but that's about it.

And certainly no Spidey.

So with that in mind, how does this series sustain the already built-in audience? That's the biggest question, IMO.

That's a tough question. It matters if Samuel L Jackson at least cameos in it and if they can snag Cobie Smoulders (whatever her role in Avengers was) it will make for easier transition.

Deberg_1990 09-24-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10016158)

What I wonder is why they put it up against NCIS. Starting a new series up against the #1 show seems like a gamble. Maybe they're not counting on audience cross-over, and hoping the (likely) younger audience they should bring in skews things in their favor.

Just a guess, but NCIS appeals to 50 and over? Personally I've never seen an episode. I hate procedural shows.

siberian khatru 09-24-2013 08:02 PM

I liked it.

See how it goes when Joss Whedon isn't writing and directing it.

Pitt Gorilla 09-24-2013 08:16 PM

Forgot to DVR. Any chance I can watch this (legally) online? ABC.com or some such?

Rausch 09-24-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

What concerns me long term (and even short term for that matter) is that none of Marvel's most well-known characters will appear in this series.

No Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America. Even lessor knowns like Hawkeye, Black Widow and Ant Man won't appear, either, because there are plans for stand-alone films for each. Jeremy Renner and Scarlett Jo aren't going to appear on a weekly TV series. It's possible that whomever they cast as Ant-Man will have a crossover but that's about it.

And certainly no Spidey.

So with that in mind, how does this series sustain the already built-in audience? That's the biggest question, IMO.

There are thousands of Marvel comix characters. Hundreds of good one's.

I think lesser know characters like Maddrox (multiple man,) Luke Cage, and inter-dimensional and ET characters could be used.

keg in kc 09-24-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

And certainly no Spidey.

I think the show survives by generating strong storylines that don't have anything to do with established Marvel canon (or just loose association or minor characters). It's all about the characters they create for the show. If people care about the ensemble cast, if the audience becomes invested in their story, people will keep tuning in. Like any other show. Strong acting, good writing. Good TV.

007 09-25-2013 04:45 AM

Can't say I was overly impressed with the first episode.

Lex Luthor 09-25-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10017430)
Can't say I was overly impressed with the first episode.

Nor was I. I wound up deleting it from my DVR list of series to recod.

the Talking Can 09-25-2013 09:54 AM

kinda cheap and corny....not real impressed with the bland casting

keg in kc 09-25-2013 10:01 AM

I thought it was okay. Blacklist pilot was better. Sleepy Hollow pilot was worse. We'll see where it goes week 2.

ragedogg69 09-25-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10016631)
I liked it.

See how it goes when Joss Whedon isn't writing and directing it.

This was exactly my thought. There were some scenes in it that just screamed Whedon.

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2013 10:32 AM

I fell asleep 30 minutes in. I'll watch the rest tonight.

But so far, it seems like a low-rent "Heroes" with uninspired casting. I like Ming-Na Wen but this just didn't work for me.

This is actually a good Beta Test for Disney and a future live action Star Wars series. This pilot felt like they were sleepwalking and playing off the brand.

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10017123)
I think the show survives by generating strong storylines that don't have anything to do with established Marvel canon (or just loose association or minor characters). It's all about the characters they create for the show. If people care about the ensemble cast, if the audience becomes invested in their story, people will keep tuning in. Like any other show. Strong acting, good writing. Good TV.

Easier said than done.

This is exactly why pilots are necessary.

If a pilot doesn't find an audience immediately, more often than not, the show doesn't survive. Networks aren't going to commit to 13 or 24 episodes when no one is watching.

keg in kc 09-25-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10018123)
Easier said than done.

Yeah.

(And I should clarify I was just laying out how I thought it would best be done, not making a prediction that that's what they'll do, or that it will work. I obviously have no idea what's going to happen...)

Pitt Gorilla 09-25-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10018013)
This was exactly my thought. There were some scenes in it that just screamed Whedon.

Whedon isn't doing the entire series?